Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rear end noise

chuckhinva

Corvette
1996 LT4 Coupe
After replacing everything rear-end related from the drive shaft back, I'm still getting a clicking noise when I drive. You can hear it best when slowing down. Applying the brakes doesn't make a difference. Sounds like a bad u-joint but they were replaced (twice).

I read somewhere that a worn yoke will cause the same kind of noise. Any suggestions on how to check yoke wear?

Any suggestions on other sources?

Many years ago I had a '77 with the chrome beauty rings on the wheels. I used to have a simular problem from them not being seated all the way on the wheel. If yours has the beauty rims remove them and drive it around and see if the clicking goes away.

Many years ago I had a '77 with the chrome beauty rings on the wheels. I used to have a simular problem from them not being seated all the way on the wheel. If yours has the beauty rims remove them and drive it around and see if the clicking goes away.

I had the same noise in the rear end on my '78. Spends around $700 replacing the rear spindle bearing and half shaft U-joint. The noise was still there; :mad Found a broken clip on one of the rear beauty rings. Replaced the beauty ring NOISE GONE. :bash

SAVE yourself some Dollars-- REMOVE the BEAUTY RINGS and see if the noise is gone before doing anything else.

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom