Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear end noise

grestmit

Corvette
89 Coupe,Charcoal,92 Coupe,Black Rose Mat.
I love driving my 89 as much as possible, but lately I've noticed a rumbling noise coming from the passenger side rear end. I thought it was the brakes,but they are new. Everything seems to be tight and working rite,but there is a lot of moving parts. I'm thinking it mite be a bearing,but how would I know and what would I look for?And if not that, then what. Any ideas out there?;help

Sounds like it could be a bad rear wheel bearing. Are you hearing a characteristic whooo! whooo! whooo! noise at 45 mph or higher?;shrug

hi there grestmit, agree that it sounds like a rear wheel bearing...does the noise sound louder as you slow down or go around a corner, like a thumping noise..thats gets slower the slower you go ? it may be a universal joint also... I never had this in the 89 but I did have both problems in my 75...

It does not get louder,it just gets more noticeable the faster you go. it never changes pitch and does not make any other noises at any time during travel.I'm going to check the diff. fluid level and do a complete lube job soon any way.hopefuly it will be something simple. The last time I heard that low rumble was when I had my 76 Monte Carlo,which was a sweet ride.That had a bad rear wheel bearing on the passenger side,sounds identical.

Good start, if you do not have any leaks at the dif. then i would use a good synthetic but if you have a leaking ...do not, I had one the was leaking and we used the better synthetic and it leaked more, until I had to redo the seals , earlier than I wanted...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom