Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear-end update

Wow! Looks great! I bet you feel better now that you have those new side yokes.

Yes I do! Mike did a great job with the differential. Now I'll just have to recruit Bullitt to help put it all back together.

Bullitt, whatcha up to this Sunday, or Saturday afternoon? :)

Vmrod,

I noticed your sig says "custom convertible". What's up with that? Do you have any pics of the convertible business?

Russ

Well, it was not me that did the vert-job. It was done a couple ex-owners ago. I've been fairly busy working on the car getting it ready for the road again. (...about $500 away.)

Wow,

I bet you can't wait to get it back on the road again. Does this mean you'll be completely done with the car or simply that it'll be road worthy again? I'd still love to see some pics of the convertible top area if you've got any lying around :)

Russ

I have a digital cam, so I can post some pics tomorrow. Right now, I have a slightly-abused hardtop sitting on it. (It has no hardware, but I was able to buy it for $120!)

My car has a very long way to go before being complete. I wasn't too worried about putting it on the road for a few more years. Once, I starting checking out this web-site, I got motivated, and decided to put it back together and have it road worthy again. (Although I may still wait another year before I put insurance on it.)

To get it road worthy I need to do these things:
1.) Replace front and rear transmission seal. (I just took the transmission down yesterday.)
2.) Rebuild power steering cylinder and replace P.S. pump pulley.
3.) Balance P.S. control valve.
4.) Replace a couple bolts on rear of car. (caliper, longer leaf spring)
5.) Install side pipes.
6.) New rear tires.
7.) Rear sway bar.
8.) Front shocks.
(whew!)

Things I want to do after the car is road worthy:
1.) New hood, front and rear bumper with ground effects, rear turbo wing spoiler.
2.) New carpet and underlay.
3.) "Freshen up" my interior.
4.) Paint job.
5.) 4 speed automatic transmission. (or 6 speed manual)
6.) New soft-top, and "freshen-up" the hardtop.
7.) mono-leaf spring in front with new control arms.
8.) New rims and tires.
(and anything else I can think of)

Let me see which day will be best and then we'll get it together. Don't let me forget about bringing back the lower shock mount. Do you want me to bring over my torque wrench? Also, did you ever cap off that carburetor vacuum port to see if that's what was causing the backfires?

--Bullitt

Differential axle yoke specifications

Could someone tell me what the end play should be on the side axle yokes? I'd like to be able to have a manual or some kind of spec sheet to show a guy that rebuilt my differential.

I think mine have too much end play.
Thanks
Ol Blue

Ole Blue,

My drivers side yoke had about 3/16" of play and it was about to break through the snap ring. I would say that 1/8" is about time to replace. You can look at the picture I posted of the 4 yokes together. The second from the left is at it's last leg. That should give you some idea of how much wear the new yoke can take. From what I understand, the new yokes have little to no play at all.

Bullitt,

I did cap off the port on the carb but I haven't fired the engine up. I started it once and the exhaust was bumping all over the place so I shut it down. I figure I'll wait until it's put back together to test the carb. If you wouldn't mind it, could you bring your torque wrench. Not that I know what all of the bolts are suppossed to be torqued to but maybe I can find out. Sunday would be best for me because it looks like we won't be coming back from dallas until about 2 or 3 on Saturday. I don't think we'd have enough time to get it put back together on Saturday. If Sunday is no good for you than we'll just do it the following weekend. Let me know what you think.

vmrod,

You have just about the same "shopping list" as I do. Hang in there, when enough money's been poured in I'm sure it'll be looking cherry.

Russ

77-4 speed,

hehe, I have been one busy mechanic these couple days. I haven't worked too much, but I was able to install a new transmission front oil seal. The transmission is mated to the engine again, and now I just need to tighten all the bolts up again. (...and hook up the xmssion lines...mount...driveshaft..not too bad). I have a new rear seal, which I will install today, and possibly rebuild the power steering control cylinder.

I thought long and hard, and decided to put my original exhaust system back on temporarily. That way, I can enjoy the car, while I save for the sidepipes. It's a hassle, of course, but I will be able to run the car.

That's a good idea! No sense in having the car sitting there while you wait for sidepipes! :) I would love to go with side pipes, but the smog nazi's would never allow me.

I almost bought a 78 with chrome side pipes and JCL baffles when I lived in Oklahoma (no inspection). I had no idea that they were illegal. If I had bought that car and brought it to Texas they would have made me remove them to get the car inspected. Can you imagine? "I'm sorry sir but those $1400 sidepipes are going to have to be removed."

What a bunch of crap! EPA sucks.

Russ

Yeah! I think for a 25 year old weekend car, they should let the smog stuff slide a bit.

The side pipes I want to get look like the header side pipes, but actually only have 1 inlet pipe. (The other 3 are dummy pipes for show.) Anyway, I am toying with the idea of POSSIBLY running dual exhaust to a cat., then having the exhaust pipes turn forward and out to the sidepipes.

I'll install a equalizer system, but not sure how I want to do it yet. I can either tee off before the dual cats, or have the exhaust collect into a single pipe then into 1 cat. with dual outlets. Hmmmm...since the funds are low, I still have time to get info on the options, and make a better informed decision later.

Russ
Thanks for your response and my apologies for reposting the question before checking. Mine has .037 end play on drivers side and .027 or passenger side.

I understand that some rebuilders shim behind spider to push it agains the snap ring to hold the axle yoke in tighter, even with new yokes.

What I don't know is what is the proper end play. This car will be a road racer/autocrosser. In fact, IF all goes better than it has in the past several months it will be in the Monterey Historic races.
Thanks again
Ol Blue

Hey Russ, I just got a new torque wrench, so we'll break it in hopefully, this Sunday. I need to check on some things and will get back to you about that day/time. The torque specs should be listed in your Haynes manual in the beginning of each chapter.

I know we talked about some Corvettes and different magazine articles, but I forgot which ones. Remind me and I'll dig through my stash and bring over a copy and some spare catalogs I have.

Whatcha wanna do about food? If you've bought a pit, I'd get some chicken breasts or fajitas and grill them. If not, I could try waking up early (say a prayer) and cook them before I come over. My bro can get me some steaks. I could get a 7 Bone Steak, season it, throw it in your oven for 2 hours and boil some veggies (corn on the cob, carrots and potatoes). Believe me, I can cook!

--Bullitt

and the last one......if you have any specific angles are views you want to see, let me know.

Bullitt,

I have not bought a pit yet, but.......I do have a smoker box for my charcoal grill and a bunch of wood chips. If you think that is something we could manage I'm all for it :)

I can't remember off hand exactly what cars we were talking about. I think you were going to bring over one of your car craft????? It's all good. By the way, when I was cleaning the rear up I found that my strud rod bushings are toast so I have some new ES poly bushings on the way. They should be here today or tomorrow. You don't happen to have any kind of a torch do ya??? They are crumbling to bits so it might not be neccessary but I've heard it is much easier to just burn them out. I'll try to give you a call but I think that I (as usual) didn't write down your number last time you called. Could you IM me with your #?

Bob,

How great a guy is Bullitt huh? :) He comes over to help me with MY car and then offers to cook as well!! Hopefully I'll get a chance to see his corvette soon.

Russ

I think everyone would agree that Bullitt is a good guy. Almost makes me want to move to Texas.

Rather than just replace the bushings did you consider replacing the strut rods? The aftermarket from VBP are sweet. They do away with the cam and give you the adjusting bolts and besides, they look great.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom