Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear-end update

77-4speed

Corvette
1977 Black L-82 4-speed
Well, it's been 5 long weeks since I parked the 77 with the torn up side yokes. Mike (Stingray6974) has finally received most of the parts from Toms ( they forgot the inner bearings and seals) and has the entire unit torn apart. I'm posting the 3 pics that I've gotten from mike.

The first is an exploded view of all the carnage:

The second is my old yokes on both sides of another used yoke that was laying around. The center yoke, which was pulled out of another car is considerably larger than my yokes. I barely got those things out in time!

Finally, the third pic is another exploded view of all the parts on the work bench. Still waiting for the inner bearings and seals. I'm thinking of painting the U-joints as well.

Bob,

It went well. I don't know if I got enough of the built-up grease off of all the places :( but the metal-ready seemed to go on well and I now have white streaking all over my metal parts :) I haven't applied the POR-15 yet because it's humid as hell and I wanted to be sure that I got the metal completely dry first. I am planning on starting with the trailing arms and seeing how far I can get with the little can. I'll use Krylon to paint the wheel wells and anything non-metal.

All of the accents on my car are blue so I was thinking of painting the U-joints, calipers, and other miscellaneous things blue, whadda ya think?

Russ

Russ

The POR15 actually likes the humidity to cure. I got my left side trailing arm and the whole outside, top and bottom of the frame visible from the left rear wheel well with the one small can.

My car is blue as well. I liked what Vmrod did with the silver on the drive train components, but blue would be cool as well, it just wouldn't stand out as brightly. I may end up going black with everything if I have problems painting this stuff with it still on the car.

Bob

I should have explained before I sent the pic. The center yoke is a used one I had laying around. The other yokes are the ones from his car showing the amount of wear. Russ caught this just in time. A few more thousandths would have ruined the case.
Mike

Hey!
What about yellow for the drive train parts? I was soooo close to painting my drive&half-shafts yellow. I chickened out at the last minute, because I thought it would draw too much attention to the underside of the car. I'm glad I picked Aluminum though. It just seems to 'fit-in' colorwise.

OOOOHHHHHHH.

I thought the two yokes on the side were the new ones! Doh! I'll edit that post right away. :) I really did have those things worn down didn't I! Oh well, all is good now.

vmrod,

I had mike paint the drive train parts in a light cast color. I think it will look really sharp with black trailing arms, frame, etc. and the blue highlights for the U-joints and calipers. My car is black so the blue should show off nicely. All of my engine and interior accents are blue (stereo, amp, speakers, etc).

I can't wait to get this thing back together, with the kind help of Bullitt of course :)

Russ

Whoaa, easy Bob. The baby word might set something off! :) The baby is in the plans for the near future (12-18 months). But the only baby I'm working on now is 77. I promise to take some video of the install which I can then snap some pictures from. It is in sore need of a bath right now. The dust, etc. from mowing the lawn is beginning to pile up. I'm almost embarressed. I should hopefully pick up the diff. on August 2nd or 3rd and maybe get it in that same weekend. It all kinda depends on whether or not Bullitt will be available.....I need to give him a call!

So what do you think of the accent color idea?

Russ

I like it. :beer

The baby may be on your horizon but as I found out, it was in wife's immediate future. Glad it was though as it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Bob

Ah.... I was wondering what was going on with the differential, Russ. I lost your phone number, but just email it to me and we'll get you Vette back on the road! I'll be available whenever, 'cause I never make plans longer than tomorrow.

My sister got back with my digital camcorder/camera a few weeks ago. If you want to Russ, I'll bring over the software and upload it to your computer. It's real easy! Then, we can save the pics down to a floppy or the computer itself, so you can have a record of it. I'm in the midst of finding an engine builder for the shortblock at least, so I'll show you my car when I come over. The garage is an awful mess, but it's just too damn hot to do anything. Maybe we'll get lucky and some rain will bring down the temps.

I wish I could relate on the baby part, but I'm still chasing beautiful girls in ever-so short skirts. Maybe I'll hold on to one for keeps someday. :D

--Bullitt

Damn I must be getting old!!! I am certain I haven't been able to see the underside of my Vette ...or anyone elses for that matter, in a long time...it's probably because I can barely bend over anymore!

I'll have some pictures of the underside of mine to post in a little while. In the meantime, here is a picture demonstrating what can happen when GM uses case hardened side yokes instead of through-hardened side yokes.

The outer yokes are the new ones. The inner left yoke is the drivers side and the inner right yoke is the passenger side. You can see that the passenger side yoke is worn to or past the snap-ring grove. How close was I to total differential meltdown?????

Some pics of the completed differential:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom