Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear hatch question

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Hi

On my 2002 coupe l have a question.

I just realized that when l pop my rear hatch it raises maybe enough for me to get my fingers under it and then with a little upward motion it goes all the way up by itself.

Is this normal because on my 96 hatch when l unlocked it the glass hatch it would go all the way up!

Thanks

Alan

The trunk on my convertible is the same way.

I think it's a safety feature - safety of the car that is!

When my 96 does that I wipe down the shafts of the hatch supports with silicone spray lube. Works great for several months.

Your right how fast we forget. What l used on my 96 was lube that l used on my guns!

Alan

Thats the way the hatch works on my 2001 coupe (as you described for your 2002).

The rear hatch on my Z06, while not the heavier full glass window hatch that a coupe has, acts in much the same way. When I activate the hatch release- either from inside the car or via the key fob- it pops open, but only a fraction of an inch. (Convertible hatches are the same, I think.) At that point, you have to fumble around with your fingers to open it the rest of the way, and heaven forbid you're holding onto a something like a set of keys that could inadvertantly scratch the finish on the car of the side of the hatch while you're doing this.

In my case, I've discovered that as long as I have all the windows up, if I open and close one of the doors, the internal air flow will force the hatch open even wider and it's no problem to insert your whole hand under the hatch and push it up and open. The same should hold true with a Coupe, as long as you don't have the removeable roof panel off.

Try this, and let us know if this works.

:w
-Patrick

On my 2002 coupe l have a question.

Is this normal because on my 96 hatch when l unlocked it the glass hatch it would go all the way up!
My '04 acts the same way that you describe. I suspect that there were a "few" dismayed C4 owners who popped the hatch inside a garage (underestimating overhead clearance) and wound up breaking out the rear glass. My neighbor came very close to doing it himself. :eek

In my case, I've discovered that as long as I have all the windows up, if I open and close one of the doors, the internal air flow will force the hatch open even wider and it's no problem to insert your whole hand under the hatch and push it up and open. The same should hold true with a Coupe, as long as you don't have the removeable roof panel off.

Try this, and let us know if this works.

:w
-Patrick

Same here.....

Will try tonight, but l liked the way the late C4's rear hatch would open up.

Alan

My convertible does the same. After four trips to four different dealerships complaining about the trunk not opening properly I was finally told "that's normal".

?????? What? How is that normal on a $50k vehicle? "I'm sorry sir, that's just the way it is".

Doh! :bash

Same goes for the pinion rattle in my 6 sp transmission. G.M. calls it a Shifter Rattle Growl Buzz Noise. Huh? (service bulletin #PIP3104A for inquiring minds) I was told "That's the sound of power". Now that's a new one. Power comes in the sound of a rattle. :duh "Oh yes sir, that's a heavy duty transmission which is used in our heavy duty trucks". Great!

So, I just crank up the cool 12 disc CD changer, which has been replaced twice, put the top down and go cruising.:D

Hmm, let's see. Nazareth today or Buffett? Buffett, yeah, that's the ticket.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom