Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Rear hatch releases mysteriously

1996 LT4 Topic
J

jwalker

The rear hatch releases for no apparently reason occasionally. The relay clicks continuously, about every 4 seconds. The only way to stop it is do disconnect the battery. Occasionally I will go out and find the hatch open. After closing, it is ok for maybe a week. Then, I find it open again. When the relay is clicking continuously, there is no apparent outside interference from neighbor cars, garage doors, or anything else. Any ideas.

My guess is you're headed for a good read of the FSM and some troubleshooting of the hatch release solenoid wiring and connections.

Are you using a fob? Open it up and see if the hatch button is stuck.

iagree.gif
iagree.gif
iagree.gif

Or just put fob way out of range of the vehicle and go from there!

Good Luck! :beer

Does it have an aftermarket alarm? Had a 90 act like that and it was a stray alarm wire in the driver's door.

rear hatch

Does it have an aftermarket alarm? Had a 90 act like that and it was a stray alarm wire in the driver's door.

No aftermkt alarm. Everything is original.

Please don't forget to update us! we all benefit when the solution is found

PS to Junk: I've got a whole garage full of tools and the thought of walking the FOB away from the car plum escaped me!:z:z

I was thinking disconnect each of the three switches one at a time and see when it stops clicking and you'll have found the problem...guessing if none of them had an effect then it'd probably be the relay, I never thought to just remove the FOB from the area either...talk about starting with the simplest solutions first huh?

My guess is there is a short in the drivers door wireing where it articulates as you open and close the door. If it was the fob the battery in it would have gone dead pretty quick.

Hatch

My vette is doing this as well.
I was on the interstate, driving of course. PKE light on the DIC came on , my locks wouldnt unlock and the hatch opened up, was clicking a whole bunch. the PKE light has come on before, since then I've had no luck with the keyless entry. Now Im worried cuz Im kind of dumb with cars... Anymore clues? Sounds like a malfunction in the receiver, or somewhere in the radio for the PKE.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom