Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rear leaf spring options

t3japan

Hello. Does anyone know if the C5 rear leaf spring will work on the C4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for you reply. Actually I'm looking for a cheaper replacement for my missing C4 rear leaf spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I know but I found one from a c3 locally for $50. With shipping that $150 difference.

Yes I know but I found one from a c3 locally for $50. With shipping that $150 difference.

I've got a transverse rear leaf spring from a Model A Ford that I'll sell to you for $35, plus $25 for shipping. Works just the same! (Just looks a little different!) Where shall I ship it to?

:happyanim:

p.s. Get real!

I'll try a 2X4 first.

A 2 x 4 is too thick. Try a Oak 1 x 4. Pine is too soft and you'll get slivers in your a$$.

No that's funny. I'll bite the bullet and get the proper one soon. The to do list on the car is long. I want to return it to original condition. The PO install air suspension, 20in Giovanna wheels, snake skin trim and a bling clock where the glove box should be. The window rubber moldings have deteriorated. Otherwise, paint is good as are the seats except for the tv monitors in the headrest. Hence you can understand my cheapskate approach. So far, for the no start I did the opti-spark, fuel pump and filter, ICM. Finallly narrowed the it down to the FPR.
Since I'm here in Tokyo, parking is expensive, parts here are ridiculously priced, so it's cheaper for me to buy from the US and ship it over.
For example: the cheapest rear leaf spring I found here is $380. Wheels $600, oil filter $25.

910e6075608347eb800539e9453c45b6.jpg
washed it last night. Surprisingly the paint is smooth and cleaned nicely after sitting outside for at least 3 years.
513c639dca118090b16b11a7c8e60b80.jpg

No that's funny. I'll bite the bullet and get the proper one soon. The to do list on the car is long. I want to return it to original condition. The PO install air suspension, 20in Giovanna wheels, snake skin trim and a bling clock where the glove box should be. The window rubber moldings have deteriorated. Otherwise, paint is good as are the seats except for the tv monitors in the headrest. Hence you can understand my cheapskate approach. So far, for the no start I did the opti-spark, fuel pump and filter, ICM. Finallly narrowed the it down to the FPR.
Since I'm here in Tokyo, parking is expensive, parts here are ridiculously priced, so it's cheaper for me to buy from the US and ship it over.
For example: the cheapest rear leaf spring I found here is $380. Wheels $600, oil filter $25.

Try Corvettecentral.com. Their prices are reasonable(or as reasonable as Vette parts get) and their parts are quality. Fast shipping & Great customer service too. I use them a lot.

Did you also check Ebay for a used spring?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Oh my. What fresh hell did I get myself into.

3e1355d638b98db04a24d072c823442c.jpg
the air suspension system removal.
46b3311cf52809f844f9d7fec4877920.jpg

ab4e979c5d55c52dd83a9b26f72a0751.jpg

That one was difficult to remove, to say the least.

I've never seen air ride on a C4 before. It looks like a total mess. I can understand why you want to go back to original. It will look a lot better once all that stuff is removed.

Tom

The PO spent crazy money on it. I'm afraid to know how much he spent and how much it weighs.
At least I can use the xenon hid lights in my 930 and the air suspension should be worth something to someone.

Some people should not be allowed to breed much less own a car.
fe66287b7d38351ffe8797864cf93d3f.jpg
ff3c4c011730489d1fc67ade341192a8.jpg
a5c747b6b5d5589581605980d85fdc10.jpg
2dfae64bb53cd131df9c8372c8fc4627.jpg

There is more I am ashamed to show. Every panel was loose. The car must have rattled so much just at idle.
It's as if it was a teenagers wet dream.
I the rear suspension parts should be here next week. The FPR arrived late today. I'll pop it on this Sunday. Fingers crossed.

Wow!!!what a mess SMH!!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Man...someone really hacked up a once-good C4.
:mad

Find high cliff. Start the engine. Put it in drive and hop out. Then throw a brick on the throttle. Please, put that car out of it's misery.

Springs come down to what you want for a ride..

You have this:
Corvette Rear Spring features a 228 lb/in rate, equivalent to factory FE1 suspension.

Or this

Composite Rear Spring, 1984-1996 Hyperco 326 lb/in

The reality, comes down to what do you want for a spring rate? There are suppliers who sell stock spring rates, others sell factory option spring rates, and still others who sell spring rates that will rattle the filings in your teeth out.

Now, we've established there are 3 types of spring rates for your C4. What we don't know is what kind of ride you want from your C4. Also, we are clueless about what the rate of the front springs are in your C4.
What I do know for sure is if your C4 has stock springs in the front and you change to auto-X springs in the rear, you will not be a happy camper.

Sorry to say, but that interior has to be rough on a hangover.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom