Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Wheel Bearing

S

Spdfrk

I have to change the Rear wheel Bearings on my 77 Vett but would like to know if its a good idea to buy the Wheel Bearing Setup Tool in order to do the job properly.

Spdfrk,
99 percent of the time you don't need the set-up tool unless you are changing the bearing support. Pay close attention to how the spacer and shim come out. Use Timken or NDH bearings. Do not use Bower/Bca bearings.

Mike

Ah, you must be making some progress now. Good to see you back at it.

There are a handful of threads here about the rear bearings. I agree with Mike, that chances are you can re-run what you have if you replace with high quality bearings. In fact, you can still get them direct from you Chevrolet dealer as a G.M. part number. They cost more that way, but you are pretty sure to be getting direct replacements. Otherwise Timken is good. We get Timken at our local Autozone parts houses.

Take your time with this part of the project, and take good notes of where you start out (end play) and where you want to end up. You will do fine.

Chris

wheel bearing

Thanks guys I just got the replacement bearings from Corvette Central yesterday via UPS. Can I reuse the shim that's on the Spindle or do I have to replace them, I got a kit but noticed that there is only one of each size shim but two spacers I under the impression that the kit would do both wheels.

Frank

Frank,
Compare the new spacer with the old spacer. They should be the exact same length. If they are then use the old spacer and shim.

Mike

You could probably get by without the set up tool, but you can make one real cheap if you can get your hands on a old spindle. Turn down the bearing contact surfaces a little to allow for an easy fit, and check the end play before final assembly.

Hi
Check CORVETTE FEVER magazine issue Jun 2001.
They show a bearing replacement without removing the trailing arm in a 3 page pictured article.
Good luck. Gunther

Where can you get a back issue of Corvette Fever? I finally have done the bearings on my land rover and I am now ready to tackle my Vette. Also anybody have a bearing number for the Timkens? I think it is set 37, but I am not sure.

B

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom