Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rear window kit

lock-n-load

Corvette
1975 red coupe -matching #'s
Been hearing some talk at local car-shows about a kit that will allow the fixed rear window corvettes ( like my 75 )to be modified to a removeable one ........ as in earlyer c3's.
Aparently there are even pre drilled screw holes ........

Has anyone else heard the same thing ???

thanks

Dean

I know folks make the swap, but I've not seen a kit for this purpose. Check with the aftermarket providers.
:)

Been hearing some talk at local car-shows about a kit that will allow the fixed rear window corvettes ( like my 75 )to be modified to a removeable one ........ as in earlyer c3's.
Aparently there are even pre drilled screw holes ........

Has anyone else heard the same thing ???

thanks

Dean

I swapped mine for a removable in my 76. You can either buy all the parts you need at one of the shops or get them off ebay. I can't say I recommend it though. Mine tends to leak and I rarely pull it out.

B

I swapped mine for a removable in my 76. You can either buy all the parts you need at one of the shops or get them off ebay. I can't say I recommend it though. Mine tends to leak and I rarely pull it out.

B
I will see if I can get a list of what I need to make the swap ....
Sure would be nice if someone had a complete after market kit for sale......

Well, I was fine till you mentioned the "tends to leak" part .........:ugh

I have only been cought in the rain a few times .......tops dont leak ....so would hate to install something that might ......

thanks for the help ...
I will let you know what i find

I will see if I can get a list of what I need to make the swap ....
Sure would be nice if someone had a complete after market kit for sale......

Well, I was fine till you mentioned the "tends to leak" part .........:ugh

I have only been cought in the rain a few times .......tops dont leak ....so would hate to install something that might ......

thanks for the help ...
I will let you know what i find

These are parts from Zips. There is a bracket missing that I can't find. It supports the lower pin plastic guide and there are two of them also obviously I didn't list the window itself and the frame that should come with it:

68-72 REAR WINDOW WEATHERSTRIP
Product Number: WS-634

69-72 POP-OUT REAR WINDOW LOCK (2)
Product Number: I-1518

68-72 REAR WINDOW LOWER PIN PLASTIC GUIDE (2)
Product Number: I-1604

68-72 REAR WINDOW FRAME LOWER PIN (may need 2 of these depending if the frame you purchase comes with them intact or not)
Product Number: I-737

69-72 REAR ROOF PANELS
Product Number: I-955

I don't think anybody sells a kit, but you can buy most everything you need either from Ebay or aftermarket. The gasket leaves a lot to be desired and usually has to be cut to fit properly (at least mine did) but mine doesn't leak. I bought all the parts from one donor car and only the gasket was aftermarket.
try to get the storage tray, hinges and latch also

I've done this conversion to my '74, and it rocks! It really helps reduce interior temps on hot days (no A/C). The list wrc3 posted is pretty much it, with the exception of various bolts. Try to find a window that has a good seal between the glass and frame. It material can dry and crack, causing leaks, especially from the lower corners. Also, I recommend using the black weatherstrip adhesive, which you'll probably have to order. Most auto parts stores seem to only stock the yellow. Have a roll of duct tape handy - you'll need it to help hold the gasket in place until the adhesive sets. I warmed my gasket up by letting it sit in the hot sun for a while, to help with fitting it in place. It is a real pain to install, but with patience and persistance, you can do it, and leak-free to boot. If you get a storage tray, make sure it has the hinges, too. Two items I can't find anywhere are the hinge mounting brackets that rivet to the rear body, and the clasp bracket that the tray's latch snaps into. I plan on making these pieces myself in the next couple of weeks. For now the window merely resides on the cargo area floor. One last thing that might be helpful would be the page fom the factory assembly manual. it will show all the necessary parts and their relative moutning points. No holes had to be drilled. Good luck!

this is one of my projects to come this winter i hope....thanks for the info :_rock

Here is another thread that has pictures of my '71 rear window area, including close ups of the guides, screws and mounting plates.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87778

I think the bracket piece wrc3 mentions that supports the plastic guide and the mount plate it bolts into could be fabricated fairly easily.

Basically each of the lower two plastic guides sit under a metal u shaped piece in the window channel of the body. There is another u shaped metal piece below the channel that is riveted to the fiberglass and has threaded holes for the screws that secure the plastic guide and it's support bracket.

So , do i need a new pc of glass? i was thinking it is the same glass.

I think the glass is the same. I'm not sure on the frame for the glass, mine has flat spots at the top where the upper latches rest to hold the window in the car.

Not sure if the '73-'77 frame has the same flat areas or not, and if not will the latch work on the beveled edge of the frame.

Maybe someone who has done the conversion will answer that shortly.

So , do i need a new pc of glass? i was thinking it is the same glass.

can't say for sure but the removable glass is in a frame while the fixed is glued to the body. Like I said the easiest way is to find someone parting out a 68-72 and get all the pieces from one car I spent about $350 for all the used parts 3-4 years ago and like purpleRac3r didn't get the hinges and latches and made some that do the job OK unless you hit a big bump.:L

There is no frame on the '73-'77 rear windows. The glass adheres to the fiberglass directly using a butyl-based adhesive (very sticky and challenging to remove. I used PPG Acryli-clean #DX 330 wax and grease remover to get the residue off). The earlier windows are set into a polished metal frame that appears to pin together. The glass is sealed to the frame, probably with something similar to the butyl adhesive. The "frame" seen in the later cars from the interior is just a plastic trim bezel that will no longer fit once converted to the earlier window. Your best bet would be to contact Paragon or other Corvette parts supplier that stocks used parts for the window & frame assembly. I picked mine up several years ago at the Bloomington Gold swap meet, and have seen several there since. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run. Oh, and bossvette, you're right my "tray" works great until I hit bumps! I'm working to correct that in the next couple of weeks. I wonder if application of some upholstery foam glued to the bottom of the rear deck would help pad the window & tray and remove some of the slop and rattle?

I wonder if application of some upholstery foam glued to the bottom of the rear deck would help pad the window & tray and remove some of the slop and rattle?

good idea give the latch a little load to help hold

Found the glass and frame locally...and still looking for parts ......
After reading all the threads ..it sure looks doable ...

Very doable. After I had the parts in hand, it took me only about two hours to remove the fixed window & adhesive, and install the removable window. Most of the time was in cleaning the old adhesive off. You definitely want to spend the time and do it right here, to ensure a good hold for the new gasket & adhesive. Good luck and enjoy the fresh air!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom