Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear wing install

Jacks Vette

Corvette
2004 C5 Corvette, Mettalic grey
Hello everyone, I’m brand new here and this is my first post. I’m expecting a wing to arrive next week and would really appreciate any advice you can provide for installation. To begin with Im wondering how to remove the inside panel on my trunk in order to be able to bolt it on. I’ve only had my 2004 C5 for about a month. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone, I’m brand new here and this is my first post. I’m expecting a wing to arrive next week and would really appreciate any advice you can provide for installation. To begin with Im wondering how to remove the inside panel on my trunk in order to be able to bolt it on. I’ve only had my 2004 C5 for about a month. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you insist on installing a wing on that beautiful C5, the best thing for you to do is remove the taillights and go through those holes.

Well, It didn’t take me long to learn that this is not the place that I want to be!

If you insist on installing a wing on that beautiful C5, the best thing for you to do is remove the taillights and go through those holes.

Everybody has different likes and dislikes? As I stated on my first post, I’m brand new here and this was my first go at it. I was really hoping to find a place where there were Corvette lovers that we’re not so opinionated that they were unwilling to overlook their own desires and embrace the desires of another. But for the first reply to refer to me as a “idiot“! No thanks guys! My desire is to find a place of support , Assistance and hopefully make a few new friends. I learned something along time ago. Do you know why they call it “My” opinion? I imagine it’s because nobody else wants it! You guys have a great day because I am! Life is short, Live, Love, hold and be held! What a way to welcome someone!

Everybody has different likes and dislikes? As I stated on my first post, I’m brand new here and this was my first go at it. I was really hoping to find a place where there were Corvette lovers that we’re not so opinionated that they were unwilling to overlook their own desires and embrace the desires of another. But for the first reply to refer to me as a “idiot“! No thanks guys! My desire is to find a place of support , Assistance and hopefully make a few new friends. I learned something along time ago. Do you know why they call it “My” opinion? I imagine it’s because nobody else wants it! You guys have a great day because I am! Life is short, Live, Love, hold and be held! What a way to welcome someone!

:ugh

The first thing you need to do is read the instructions which come with the wing.

The rear of the bodywork is complicated. The rear fascia has the very rear part of the read deck. If the wing goes on the part of the rear deck behind the part line, then you need to try to access the work area by removing the taillights. If you can work though those holes you'll need to remove the rear fascia.

If the wing goes on the part of the body ahead of the part line between the rear deck and the rear fascia then you are going to have to strip all the soft trim out of the car in the rear and attach the wing to the rear deck.

You might need the Factory Service Manual for it section on how to remove and replace interior trim and how to take the body apart.

Lastly, you didn't say what kind of wing this is.

If it's just a rear deck spoiler, they are either bonded or bolted to the rear fascia.

If it's a real, functional rear wing, like you see on some road race cars, and is mounted on supports and sits above the rear deck, keep in mind that at high speed, the wing may generate enough downforce that it will seriously deflect or break the rear bodywork. If that's the kind of wing it is, you may need to fabricate some structure to transfer the wing loads to the chassis.

Have fun.

:joke Sorry Jack, no flame intended... Seriously, how you like and envision is your business and no-one else's. This IS a fantastic forum, and the first way to access the area you reference IS through the taillight holes. What Hib states is also VERY true, good luck with any and all mods you choose to perform on your baby!!:thumb

Still scratching my head on this one, thinking maybe a post was deleted. I nothing disrespectful in any replies to the original post. :confused

Still scratching my head on this one, thinking maybe a post was deleted. I nothing disrespectful in any replies to the original post. :confused

I think he probably read the tag line at the bottom of the post. Hope he doesn't read mine...

Dear Jack,

No one and I repeat no one has called you an idiot. You read the mans signature block mistaking it for a comment on your post. Please look at the posts, you will discover most of us have something written in our tag line blocks.
Both people have offered good advice.

Welcome to our group, learn how the system works, you can customize your signature line and avatar most any way you want. There is a wealth of information out here. Browse through the site. And, try going over to the new member forum and introduce yourself.

Regards,
Scott

"Scottsredvette"

Last edited:
If it's a real, functional rear wing, like you see on some road race cars, and is mounted on supports and sits above the rear deck, keep in mind that at high speed, the wing may generate enough downforce that it will seriously deflect or break the rear bodywork. If that's the kind of wing it is, you may need to fabricate some structure to transfer the wing loads to the chassis.

Have fun.

In addition to what Hib said. A functional wing requires a lot of "tuning."

An airplane wing creates lift and a car wing creates down force.. Setup a functional car wing incorrectly and potentially one could create more down force than you want.
At high speeds, if the rear wing provides too much down force, it could overpower the front air dam and lift the nose.

I didn't see any post that referred to you as an "Idiot". Must have read something that I didn't read.

Methinks he read a sig line...

We should be grateful he didn't read Mac's sig line: "Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them."

:chuckle

Methinks he read a sig line...

We should be grateful he didn't read Mac's sig line: "Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them."

:chuckle
Who knew signature lines could be so controversial? ;LOL

Mac

Miscellaneous ramblings/thoughts...

Kinda curious as to if he ever got his wing and how he mounted it, to the frame or just the rear deck lid?

Is his wing just for looks or actual racing purposes.

Also wonder how one correctly adjusts the downforce on it. Will the front splitter on his C5 correctly work in conjunction with the wing or does that need to be changed, too.

Personally, if running at speed, I'd worry about really screwing up the aerodynamics, possibly making it unstable. A couple of degrees in the wrong direction........

Last but not least, I saw a 60 inch high wing online that just appears to bolt on to the rear deck. Wonder how much force the lid can take before cracking...

I'll shut up now. :ugh

Kinda curious as to if he ever got his wing and how he mounted it, to the frame or just the rear deck lid?

Is his wing just for looks or actual racing purposes.

Also wonder how one correctly adjusts the downforce on it. Will the front splitter on his C5 correctly work in conjunction with the wing or does that need to be changed, too.

Personally, if running at speed, I'd worry about really screwing up the aerodynamics, possibly making it unstable. A couple of degrees in the wrong direction........

Last but not least, I saw a 60 inch high wing online that just appears to bolt on to the rear deck. Wonder how much force the lid can take before cracking...

I'll shut up now. :ugh

Actually what you said needed to be said.

Potentially, too much down force at the rear could lift the front. As Bill Elliot demonstrated in the mid-1980s, too much lift can make a Winston Cup car fly; well, try to fly..
:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom