Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

reasonably priced run flat?

red and black

Corvette
1998 red vert
I'm pretty sure a few folks here recommended a nice run flat to replace the Eagle's after the wandering of the stiff tire drove me to distraction. They were possibly Kuhmo or Hankook?

Now tire rack is only showing the $1,000+ Pirelli and Michelin in run flat.

Are there any other options? Due to med issues I need a run flat.

Michelin PS A/S ZP -- Pilot Sport All Season Zero Pressure --- that was my choice on my C5.

Yup, the Michelin AS Plus is my choice as well. Over $1000 for the set though. When I bought my 01 it had the Kumho run flats on it, they were less than impressive. And they rode like a lumber wagon. I understand your desire for the run flats. I have my own reasons for using them.

Tire Noise.

Michelin PS A/S ZP -- Pilot Sport All Season Zero Pressure --- that was my choice on my C5.

Just bought my 97 and it has the Michelins. I had some Michelins on a 97 Mustang GT as well years ago an all season Z rated tire as well. Noisy on the highway and these are too in my opinion. Now the Pilot ZP's may be old and hard though as I really don't know their history. Do you guys with them have the loud hum as well?

Why not use the Slime Product?

Why not go with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS and some of the Green Slime. Suppose to seal up to 1/4"holes. Hella lot cheaper than the Michelins and out perform the in test in Tirerack. 750.00 for the tires and the slime 20.00

Just bought my 97 and it has the Michelins. I had some Michelins on a 97 Mustang GT as well years ago an all season Z rated tire as well. Noisy on the highway and these are too in my opinion. Now the Pilot ZP's may be old and hard though as I really don't know their history. Do you guys with them have the loud hum as well?

They aren't as bad as the Kumhos that were on mine when I bought it. Not sure mine are bad or not and don't really care, I like the security run flats offer. It may not be a big deal for many, especially if you live in or near one of the larger metro areas of the country. But living in the rural areas of the country means we don't have the availability of tire shops open every day of the week....or in my case it could be 30-50 miles to the nearest tire shop when we are out on the roads in the area.

My wife and I made a big trip this summer (3800 miles in 2 weeks) and I was glad for having ZP tires, gave me a better feeling. And I didn't really notice that much noise.

They aren't as bad as the Kumhos that were on mine when I bought it. Not sure mine are bad or not and don't really care, I like the security run flats offer. It may not be a big deal for many, especially if you live in or near one of the larger metro areas of the country. But living in the rural areas of the country means we don't have the availability of tire shops open every day of the week....or in my case it could be 30-50 miles to the nearest tire shop when we are out on the roads in the area.

My wife and I made a big trip this summer (3800 miles in 2 weeks) and I was glad for having ZP tires, gave me a better feeling. And I didn't really notice that much noise.

So your Michelins don't have that almost jet engine hum on the Highway? It is hard to understand the noise but when it is not there it makes a big difference. Tires are so different in this regard. With the aggressive V shaped Treads like the ZP Michelins this is usually the reason. The Assymetricals are not as bad in my experience like the Continentals Extreme DWS. Something like the Sumitomo HTRZ III with a straighter pattern are quiet.

I have the Michelin ZP's on my 99 and I do not notice any extra road noise. They do not make the car ride like a buck board.

Why not go with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS and some of the Green Slime. Suppose to seal up to 1/4"holes. Hella lot cheaper than the Michelins and out perform the in test in Tirerack. 750.00 for the tires and the slime 20.00
If you have figured out a way to get the tire pressure sensor to work after you give it a Slime treatment let us all know, or add another $150 to your tire repair.

If you have figured out a way to get the tire pressure sensor to work after you give it a Slime treatment let us all know, or add another $150 to your tire repair.

Not only can it knock out your sensor (and it usually does), but you'll never get all of it out of the tire (even though it may look like you did) and have tire balancing problems for the life of the tire, seen it too many times.......

Just bought my first vette and it also has the Michelin PS A/S ZP. I need to replace the two rear tires as the front are newer. A question, is the ZP designation (zero pressure) mean run flat? Also, I checked with several tire places and they do not show this designation as available, even on the Michelin page. I emailed them and am waiting for a reply.

ZP is Zero Pressure.....which is Michelins' run flat. And I can attest to the fact that they work. Saved my butt on the way to CAC Cruisefest in Effingham Ill. Picked up a nail going through St. Louis, the only way I knew was the alerts on the DIC and bells going off. It's extremely busy and I can't get off very soon.

It's cool to have that in your back pocket.

Conty DWS with liner ?????

I bought my 2K vert with Foose wheels and Conty DWS on the rear. When I had it up in the air we noticed a second valve stem on the inner side just like NASCAR rims with an inner liner. What?????

foose wheel.jpgtwo valve stems.jpg

But FALKENs are on the front with just one valve stem. (why would someone mix FALKENs and CONTYs?)

By The Way: The Contys have GREAT traction in the wet. Haven't been on snow yet.

Snow on HHR and Venture.jpg

Can't get out of the garage. Not sure if I want to.

New tires

I needed new tires last month, and did some research and price comparing. I knew that I did not want the Goodyear's again, so, I did some comparing and I settled on the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position RFT. I have put about 1000 miles on them so far, so, I thought I would give a quick review. Keep in mind that I am a city driver and do not race my vehicle. I do drive aggressive though. So on to the review: These are an all season run flat performance tire. These tires are extremely responsive and quiet. I drove in the rain recently and they handled very well at highway speeds. They take bumps in the roads very well, making the ride smoother as well. I could not believe the difference in the handling of my car. It is responsive and predictive. As for road noise, it has gone down tremendously. These tires also have a very nice tread design. They have a 40,000 mile warranty as well. If I get anywhere close to that out of these tires, I will be very happy. So far I am very pleased with these tires. If anybody else has these, I would like your opinion also. If you are looking for tires, I suggest looking at these on the Bridgestone web site.

Four wheel alignment

If you are running factory alignment specs it will take about 8,000 mile to have all the noise and cupped tires you need on the front. There are a number of posts on this and other sites with specs that will give you a long and quiet ride and believe me it is not the factory settings. Unless you track it try it with some of the camber taken out of the front, I've done both the front and back but now only do the front. It has cost me 4 sets of front tires on 4 different new Corvettes and three different brands of tires, Goodyear, Conties, and Michelins which were the worst as far as noise goes.

Your tire pick looks good, hope they work out for you.

As Dad pointed out alignment is critical to longevity .I got 40,000 miles out of my original GY tires .

Went with Michelin AS /RF and not sorry .Great tires if you get caught in a snow storm .:thumb

I'm in the market for tires and I have Michelin run flats now but the Bridgestones sound nice. How was the price? Close to michelins? Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm in the market for tires and I have Michelin run flats now but the Bridgestones sound nice. How was the price? Close to michelins? Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Afraid my reply won't help much, just replaced my Michelins with Michelins. They ride a little rough but I am satisfied with them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom