Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rebuilding power sterring stuff

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
is there any member here from southern california that can rebuild my power steering stuff off my 82, I have a very bad leak coming from the control valve but would also like the ram rebuilt to or O-rings replaced that are causing the leak (dont feel like paying 200+ bucks for remanufactured stuff if mine can be rebuilt cheaper

You can rebuild it yourself with basic tools and a ball joint fork. I rebuilt my control valve and actuator in a few hours (I work slow). The only thing that will give you a headache is if the old power steering line fittings are stuck. Mine were frozen, and if I had it to do over again, I would just cut them and replace them (ended up replacing them anyway). You'll need some help adjusting the valve when you re-install it.

I have a few thousand miles on mine with no problems.

Rebuild is easy Check out Corvette FAQ site . they have a followalong guild that expains the rebuild of the valve..I didn't do the Ram but next week or so I start the front end rebuild of my 75 so I may do it then good luck topless... Jim

P.S. Where in Southern California?

wicky

about 2 hours from you, I live near san bernardino, problem is I don't have alot of time to mess with the car anymore since I work alot so going to pay to have it done, if you want some cash to do it let me know

wicky

I would like it done withing the next three weeks since the car is ready to be smogged and registered

topless would love to help out. Business for me is starting to pick up . I also didn't rebuild my ram so I'm not sure what that will intail. I'll look around for that info and if I can help out next week(after Wed) I'll be in touch. things do't look good though just so you know. Later Wicky

wicky

when I was under the car yesterday I saw this power steering valve leaking so Im pretty sure its the culprit and while under there there a rebuilt tag on the ram it looks as that the ram has been replaced recently as it really wasnt all that dirty ....... also have you heard about a corvette show/rub at big bear lake ?

Bobchad

hmmmm 20 bucks for a seal kit and a few hours to rebuild my old one verses 69 bucks for a bolt in one geeeeeez I wonder what I should do LOLOLOL

thanks I appreciate it going to place my order today

I thought it was kind of a no brainer mysel, particularly when I was buying the whole front suspension rebuild stuff, a new luggage rack, four new shocks and some other odds and ends.

I'm going to have my front end rebuild the first week fof July. $700-750 labor only. Was toldthis was a pretty good price for everything.

Bob

bobchad

just ordered a brand new control valve from that websire since I dont really have time to mess with the rebuiling of the old one Ive never seen and drippage from my steering cylinder and it does have a remanufactured decal on it but I bought a rebuild kit for it just in case, I'm hoping this control valve was the cause of my front end shaking really bad someone had told me if it does have internal leaks it will cause the steering cylinder to act weird Ive checked every possible thing in the front end of the car and found nothing wrong, my bushings are old but still prior to parking the car it never did this shaking also I know for a fact metal shavings were inside the old power steering lines that went to the control valve so Im curious to see if this valve is the heart of this problem I can run the car and this this drips just a little well one night I parked it in my garage went out the next day and there was maybe a quart of p/s fluid under the car, If it works Im going to register the car in two weeks and start driving it

ala75vette

thanks but I ordered brand new not rebuilt stuff P.S if you want a control valve to tinker with before tearing into yours let me know and I can send you mine

Actually, I'm not rebuilding the control valve..... I ordered a new one, mainly because I suspected the previous owner had attempted a rebuild on the one that's on my car now, albeit 'unsuccessfully' (it leaks like a sieve, and is missing the end cap). I AM going to try a rebuild on the power steering cylinder itself, though, because from looking at the directions, it doesn't look toooo hard.... just a few seals to replace. I've finally got a weekend to do it (this weekend), so I'll let you know how it goes. I expect to skip the steps in the procedure pertaining to rebuilding the control valve, and only use the steps pertaining to removal & replacement of the cv & hoses.

Sorry for being late to the party ;), but I was reviewing some of my old material this morning and ran across this Photo Instruction from Corvette Magazine and VB. It is a pretty good pictorial of R&R of the power steering control unit.

Good luck ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom