Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Recomendations on C2 trailer

rohard

Corvette
2014 Z51 Coupe and 08 Cooksey ZO6
I am looking for recomendations on size and type of trailer to haul my 65 Big Block on, if I can find one that meets my requirements.
The car (Roadster) weighs in at 3,260 #'s. I have a 06 Hybrid Highlander, rated to pull 3,500 #'s, willing to take it to 4,000 pounds (after all, what is the 6 year/100,000 mile warrantty for?) but not much above it.
Thoughts? Looks like an 18' open (really like an enclosed, but the weight would kill me) trailer would do it, AL around 900 #'s.
Would appreciate knowing what people are using in open trailers, and thoughts about pulling behind a mid size SUV.

I have to tell you, Even with a set of electric brakes , and a load equilizer trailer hitch I would be nervous about highway trailering with anything less then a full size suv or pickup.

I run an open steel trailer ,I think its a 21 foot trailer overall.If I was do do it again I would get an aluminum trailer not only to save on the weight but to keep it looking good ,My steel trailer is about 4 years old and needing a repaint because of surface rust

Chances are you may not be able to get a proper class hitch to mount to your SUV, Then if you ever get pulled over with it youll really be in trouble.

Not so easy to tow on a highway with an unders sized tow vechicle. 500 doesnt sound like allot but when you look at it as a percentage youll be 14 to 15% under sized

I agree with Larry. Your vehicle will be underpowered.

I have a full-sized Tahoe Z-71 with the 300-hp 5.3L gasoline V8. Even though it's rated for hauling 7,400 lbs, it's underpowered to pull my 24-foot car trailer with a Corvette in it. A diesel would provide the necessary off-the-line torque.

44bvl6w.jpg

Realizing that your open trailer won't weigh in any where near 3,650 lbs. like mine, you'll still be asking a small SUV, with a V6, to pull too much weight. I'd also be worried about vehicle stability. Until you haul a heavy trailer, you won't believe how different it all is on the freeway.

Good luck.

IMG_2128-vi.jpg

16ft aluminum, weighs in at 1,000 pounds. trailer made by R&R, with winch and upgraded wheels and a spare just over $5k, but that was before the price of aluminum jumped....the winch is deluxe!

When I am towing, I have to look back there to make sure everything is there....don't even feel it......

I can fit my C1, C2 and the C5's on the trailer.

Good luck

Allthough your SUV will be able to get things moving ,I would sincerely be concerned with the trailer behind me having more mass and weieght the the tow vechicle that me or my family is sitting in ,

My wifes SUV unladded weight is 5367 lbs it has a towing capacity of 7700 lbs

Its will run up any hill way over the speed limit, but I still get pulled into busses or tractor trailer when they are passing me.

I hope rowdy drops in on this one and shares his thoughts as he had a pretty major wreck this year pulling a trailer.

Well, this is case of knowing the answer, but hoping that there is "another way" out there.
What I am hearing is what I suspected, durn it.
My wife will shoot me if I tell her I am going to trade this in just so I can pull my 65 to car shows out of town. Looks like I will have to settle for the local shows, where I can drive it. Thanks to all for the feedback.

AGREEEEEEEE

I myself would not tow your car with that tow vehicle....listen to the voices of experience.....if you have never towed before...you are in for an experience..aluminum or steel..towing is something else....just our opinions...good luck on your decision.

All of the above

I have to agree with the others here. Your vehicle is not only underpowered for that load-it doesn't have the brakes to stop it either (!). Sounds like you have already reconsidered-good.

Good luck to you.

Rick
:gap
Naval Base Port Hueneme, California

First recommendation is tow with a different vehicle, preferrably one with more power and suspension for towing.

If not possible I would go with the aluminum open bed trailer with electric brakes. The highland hybrid wieghs a fair amount (over 5600lbs) but does not have the power or suspension (springs & brakes) for towing. Your vette probably could pull another vette better.

Your vette probably could pull another vette better.

Now there is an answer I like. My 50th AE rolling down the road with a 65 on the trailer. Plenty of power, good brakes, just nothing to hook the trailer to. It would be a really nice picture though. Hmmmm. Off to photoshop.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom