Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

recovered '72 build sheet, now questions

N

ntgarwood

Today I recovered the build sheet to my '72 from the top of my tank. It is in very good condition compared to other threads i've read from people who have recovered theirs which turned to dust when they touched them. Mine is completely in tact except for the top left corner which looks like it tore off quite a while ago, all that is missing is the bowtie logo and part of "Chevrolet". The typing was very faint, but still legible when light would hit it right and if you looked closely. Also, when turning it over, the back of the paper is blue and the typing showed up white, which was easier to read than the front, just had to read it backwards.

My question is about the options. My car has tilt/telescoping steering wheel. However, it's not listed as an option on my build sheet. I saw another 72 online (which was built 150 cars after mine) which also has tilt wheel and when viewing a picture of the build sheet for that car, this option was also not listed. Were not all the options for the car listed on the build sheet? Mine lists everything except that, same with this other car i saw online.

A few more strange things i noticed on the sheet that i'm unsure of is the hand written number in the top right corner of the sheet. Mine says 225. Does anyone know what that is? Another line i'm unsure of is printed underneath the "comfort & con." line which the print read "F.Hub" and below that is either "S.Hub" or "R.Hub". I can't make out S or R. Anyone know what those mean? Also, my serial portion of my vin is printed backwards at the bottom of the page, not just the numbers turned around, but completely backwards (like it was printed on the back of the sheet, but the black ink is on the front of it). it's kind of strange. The picture i saw online of the build sheet from that other 72 that was clost to mine in production had a few different things on it's build sheet than mine had. Like extra boxes on the bottom of the page and on the side for engine casting, differential casting, and transmission numbers. My sheet doesn't have these boxes on it.

Any info that you can give on these questions would be great! I've attached a picture of the front and back of my sheet, but the scan doesn't do it justice. The scan looks like nothing is printed on it, but it's much easier to read in person than the scan shows. Thanks for any info!

View attachment 22334

View attachment 22335

My question is about the options. My car has tilt/telescoping steering wheel. However, it's not listed as an option on my build sheet. Were not all the options for the car listed on the build sheet? Mine lists everything except that, same with this other car i saw online.

The picture i saw online of the build sheet from that other 72 that was clost to mine in production had a few different things on it's build sheet than mine had. Like extra boxes on the bottom of the page and on the side for engine casting, differential casting, and transmission numbers. My sheet doesn't have these boxes on it.

That tank sticker ("Corvette Order") may or may not be for your car - it's not unusual for it to be for the car ahead of it or the car behind it. Is your complete VIN readable? If the full VIN is readable and the N37 T&T column isn't on the sheet, the column was added at some point in the car's chain of previous owners.

The other sheet you saw with the extra boxes on it was the "Copy 7" of the "Corvette Order", which had the engine, transmission, and axle codes manually typed on it at the end of the line.

:beer

It's the build sheet for my car. The color code, the engine, transmission, all other options, the VIN, the dealer code all matches to what my car is and where it went. I also thought that maybe it had been added later on, however, like i said, i found another instance of a 1972 car which was 150 cars down the line from mine that also had T&T wheel but wasn't listed on the build sheet. I'm wondering if it was exclusive to being listed on the window sticker but not the build sheet?

Thanks for the info on different copies of the sheet though. When i looked at the picture again of that other car with the engine and tran. numbers handwritten on it, there is a "5" in a black box on the top right corner. I didnt' realize there were different copies of the sheet.

...I'm wondering if it was exclusive to being listed on the window sticker but not the build sheet?...

No. Data from the Corvette order copy (build sheet) was used to create the window sticker. It's not likely an option and cost show up on the window sticker and not be on the order copy (and vice versa).

The handwritten 225 could be the job number for your car and may or may not be related to the VIN. Subtract 500 from your VIN and see if you get 225.

:)

Thanks for the info Mike! I'm not sure why i didn't connect the two numbers, but the last 6 of my VIN is 516225, which matches the 225 handwritten on the page. Thanks for pointing that out! :thumb

I'm still a little stumped on T&T option not being on the sheet, but I guess it could've been changed over by a previous owner. The coloring on the column matches all the way down though, so i thought it looked original (like it all aged the same). The only thing that makes me wonder is that I saw another instance with a car that had T&T but wasn't on it's build sheet either and was the same day of production as mine.

The only other question I have left about the sheet is what is the "F.Hub" and "(S or R).Hub" which is typed on the first line underneath the "Comfort & Con." line? This is followed by "Front Spring", "Rear Spring", and "Engine Emission Identification". Any info on these lines would be great! I'm curious why they would list these parts on the sheet.

Sorry this is getting lengthy, but i thought of one more thing. The AV3 option for 3 point seat belts, is this actually listed as an option on the sheet? I ask because in the option no. column i have an AV3 code but nothing is written beside it. I wish i could find a website that would do a breakdown of these sheets and explain the different parts of them. I find it really interesting.

RE: 1972 Corvette V.I.N. 1Z37K2S516225

I looked at your jpegs in PhotoShop.

Does your Corvette Order Copy break down something like this?
Ident. No. - unknown, Date Received - 72/03/02, Exp. Date of Production - 72/03/15, Order Number - TGK099, Zone No. - 28, Dealer - 524, COPO/F&SO - Blank, Model - 19437 Corvette Coupe, Paint - 2V987AA1 97-97 Ontario Orange

Note: _ indicates blank space

Equip. Code_Option No._Type_Description
____________________Trim_
CKX _______ 2VZQ3AA _Engine_Standard Engine
_____________________Air Con._
_____________________Transistor Ign._
AW. ________2VGV3AA _Axle_Rear Axle 3.08 Ratio
S. __________2VM40AC_Transmission_Turbo Hydra-Matic
_____________________Tires_
E ____________________Conv. Top_
. ____________________Aux. Top_
_____________________Radio_
. ____________________Comfort & Con._
BB ___________________F. Hub
. . . __________________R. Hub
______________2VAV3AA
______________2VC60AA_4-Season Air Conditioning
______________2VF62HT_Front Springs
______________2VG32BA_Rear Springs
______________2VJ50AA_Power Brakes
______________2VL08KA_Engine Emission Identification
______________2VN40AB_Power Steering
______________2VPT7AA_F70 x 15 White Lettered Tires
______________2VU69AC_AM/FM Pushbutton Radio
______________2VZK8AP_Tire Pressure Sticker
______________2V421AV_Saddle Leather Custom Interior

Notes:
All 1972 Corvette Order Copies I have seen have AV3 code line blank.
Zone 28 - (Cleveland, Ohio),
Dealer 524 - Schneider Chevrolet-Buick Inc., Mansfield Rd., Gallion, Ohio 44833
Other Reference Sites:
Job Number Research 1970 Corvette Registry
The Corvette C3 Registry
Official C3 Vette Registry - Corvette C3 Registry - The premier site on the internet for the C3 Corvette!

Let me know which ones I read correct or not correct.

Gary

Gary,
That's amazing that you could read all that in photoshop!! Would you be able to save your photoshop file and email it to me to look at? I'd like to have a picture of it where it's mostly readable. In person you can read it decently in the right light, but scans weren't coming out real good for me. I snapped about 100 pictures in lower light that made it more readable from different angles. Thanks a lot for doing that, that's great.

Most of your letters/numbers matched up to mine but there were a few differences. I'll list them and type what i read off of it (that doesn't mean i'm right though!). My corrections are bold and underline. Everything else that i don't list matched up to mine.

Order Number - TCK096

Dealer - 424 (Marve Minneman Chevrolet in Youngstown/Austintown, OH. I know this one is correct for sure. The car had been in Youngstown its whole life before I bought it and has a dealer badge on the back of the car. The dealer badge, however, says "State Chevrolet" which was another Chevy dealer right down the road from Marve Minneman Chevrolet, so i'm wondering what happened there? Maybe the dealers swapped cars or something?)

K. 2VM40AC TRANSMISSION TURBO HYDRA-MATIC

C. CONV. TOP

S.HUB (or R.HUB, i can't tell)

2VC60AE 4-SEASON AIR CONDITIONING

2VG32EA REAR SPRINGS

2VLV86E ENGINE EMISSION IDENTIFICATION (I would bet you're right on this one, the middle of my sheet with these codes is hard to read because of where it was glued to the tank, this one was a challenge)

2VN40AK POWER STEERING

2VPU9AA F70X15 WHITE LETTERED TIRED (PU9 was the option code for raised white letter tires)

2V421AJ SADDLE LEATHER CUSTOM INTERIOR

Also, down in the lower left corner of my sheet, if you were able to read it, there is some typing that appears to start out "SEQ 03??????" but i really cant read that part at all. And on the lower right side is my serial part of my VIN transposed.

Those are the "corrections" or differences that i had. Please let me know if you have any info on why our differences could be right or wrong. I'm still amazed you were able to read all that, i'd love to see how you enhanced the picture! My email is ntgarwood@verizon.net .

NT, back at you with some info.
Refer to:

The Corvette C3 Registry

Corvette Info - Corvette Production Numbers Info for 1971 Corvette - Rowley Corvette Supply, Inc.

Corvette Action Center | Model Center | C3 | 1972 | 1972 Corvette Identification

Here are the numbers you spoke of as I see them now:

Order Number - TCK096
Dealer - 424
Paint - 2V987AA1 97-97 ONTARIO OR.
K . - 2VM40AC - TRANSMISSION - TURBO-HYDRAMATIC
C . - CONV. TOP
BB - F. HUB
. . . - R. HUB
2VAV3AA
2VC60AE - 4-SEASON AIR CONDITIONING
2VF62HT - FRONT SPRINGS
2VG32EA - REAR SPRINGS
2VJ50AA - POWER BRAKES
2VL08EB - ENGINE EMISSION IDENTIFICATION
2VN40AE - POWER STEERING
2VPU9AA - F70 X 15 WHITE LETTERED TIRES
2VU69AC - AM/FM PUSHBUTTON RADIO
2VZK8AP - TIRE PRESSURE STICKER
2V421AJ - SADDLE LEATHER CUSTOM INTERIOR

NOTES:
"2V987AA1 97-97" - LOOK AT ABOVE WEB SITES STATS
"2VL08EB" - Compared to 454ci/270hp/M40 (EB), 350ci/200hp/M40 (EB), LT1/M21-Calif. (KA), LT1/M21-Fed. US-(CA), 454/270hp/M21 (FA), 350ci/200hp/M21 (KA)

Sequence numbers were usually listed as 3 digits, A.E. "SEQ 030"

I gotta go now. I will be busy in the morning but can work some more on your order copy in the late afternoon in PhotoShop. I will get back with you on this ASAP.
I have a friend with a 1972, 1Z67K2S502454, who has some paperwork I can get notes from later to compare.

Gary

Thanks alot Gary. I agree with all of those, but I just changed my mind on the Power Steering. In your first post you thought that it ended with a "B", i now agree with that 110%. I got my sheet under a very bright light and it was clear that it ended in a "B". Thanks for all the info so far! This is a big help.

By the way, do you have any idea what the BB, F.HUB, and R.HUB is for?

Nate

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom