Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Relay!!!!!!!!!!

menusetc

icon1.gif
Relay!!!!!!!!!!

Neighbor has a 1984 corvette, cranks but will not start. I looked it over and found that a relay had exposed and frayed wires, and that when two wires touched the cooling fan came on, the dash lights worked and if the battery was charged it would have started. My issue is that #1 - I do not know what the proper name of this relay is, it is located above the brake booster and has a total of 6 wires, two of which go to one terminal. The wire colors in order are tan, red, green, black and two large red wires. #2 - He got a replacement connector and relay, the new relay only has 5 terminals (im gonna guess this is the wrong part), and the connector has the two wires going into the 4th spot instead of the 5th.
The connector is labeled a-b-c-d-e- and the wire colors go a-tan, b-red, c-green, d-black, e-2 red wires. If the a and b wires are connected all of the =dash light function correctly and I think it will start. Im not sure where to go from here - any advice would be appreciated a great deal.
Thanks!!
Wayne
smash.gif

icon1.gif
Relay!!!!!!!!!!

Neighbor has a 1984 corvette, cranks but will not start. I looked it over and found that a relay had exposed and frayed wires, and that when two wires touched the cooling fan came on, the dash lights worked and if the battery was charged it would have started. My issue is that #1 - I do not know what the proper name of this relay is, it is located above the brake booster and has a total of 6 wires, two of which go to one terminal. The wire colors in order are tan, red, green, black and two large red wires. #2 - He got a replacement connector and relay, the new relay only has 5 terminals (im gonna guess this is the wrong part), and the connector has the two wires going into the 4th spot instead of the 5th.
The connector is labeled a-b-c-d-e- and the wire colors go a-tan, b-red, c-green, d-black, e-2 red wires. If the a and b wires are connected all of the =dash light function correctly and I think it will start. Im not sure where to go from here - any advice would be appreciated a great deal.
Thanks!!
Wayne
smash.gif

Mmmm...not sure if it is the Fuel Pump Relay

Hi Wayne,

I am in Australia I have an 84 Coupe. I am looking at the wiring diagram for the fuel pump as it is the only one I can think of that has some of that wire combination.

Now the issue is that this relay is labeled Pin (A) Red 1.0 wire that should go into two red wires, one will go to the oil pressure switch and the other to a splice, which feeds back to the fuel pump relay and the other part of the splice goes to the ECM. Pin (B) is a black/white 1.0 wire and is ground. Pin (C) is a green/ white wire 0.8, that is the ECM fuel pump relay drive, Pin (D) is a red 1.0 wire that goes back to the ALDL. Pin (E) is the 12 volt (hot) battery feed.

The fan relay does not have this wire combo, so I am thinking that by the touching of those wires you mentioned, you have established a circuit and the fan is just coming on normally.

If it is cranking but not starting, it could be a bad fuel pump relay or bad oil pressure switch. The oil pressure switch will not allow the engine to start until it reaches 5 PSI in oil pressure.
If you turn the key on and can hear the fuel pump come on, then I would be looking at the oil pressure switch.

All the other engine bay relays are for lights, there is fan and A/C as well.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Wayne,

I am in Australia I have an 84 Coupe. I am looking at the wiring diagram for the fuel pump as it is the only one I can think of that has some of that wire combination.

Now the issue is that this relay is labeled Pin (A) Red 1.0 wire that should go into two red wires, one will go to the oil pressure switch and the other to a splice, which feeds back to the fuel pump relay and the other part of the splice goes to the ECM. Pin (B) is a black/white 1.0 wire and is ground. Pin (C) is a green/ white wire 0.8, that is the ECM fuel pump relay drive, Pin (D) is a red 1.0 wire that goes back to the ALDL. Pin (E) is the 12 volt (hot) battery feed.

The fan relay does not have this wire combo, so I am thinking that by the touching of those wires you mentioned, you have established a circuit and the fan is just coming on normally.

If it is cranking but not starting, it could be a bad fuel pump relay or bad oil pressure switch. The oil pressure switch will not allow the engine to start until it reaches 5 PSI in oil pressure.
If you turn the key on and can hear the fuel pump come on, then I would be looking at the oil pressure switch.

All the other engine bay relays are for lights, there is fan and A/C as well.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks
tony
Im a little confused as to why those two wires shorted together (orange and red) would cause the interior dash lights and turn signals to function correctly. If not shoted together the lights do not work and the car will not start. They (neighbors "friends") wired the fan directly to key power........Im thinking maybe a bad ground somewhere. I dont enjoy messing with other peoples screw ups but I enjoy trying to help friends.

Tony, it would have been good if you had informed us that this '84 had been converted to a carb, and that the wiring is a mess. You'll need to go back to basics to sort out these problems. You have several things that are causing your mysteries, and the primary one is that the person who did this conversion created a real puzzle for you! (I'm being kind!) I hope your neighbor bought this car cheap! I'm going to guess that the PO gave up on it! Maybe these people can help: http://www.californiapsychics.com
:happyanim:

You say the cooling fan was wired to ignition.. Generally the cooling fans run on relays, relays are wired with coil to 12 v. the relay ground is completed by the ECM to turn on the fans. I would really question how they wried the fans.And anything else.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom