Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Remaining 59s

AJF

Corvette
1959 Red with White Coves
I have the same question as Travis how do I find uot how many 1959 vettes are still active.

AJF,

There's really no easy way to determine how many of a particular model year are left unless someone starts a registry catering to a particular model year and tries to document the remaining ones.

registry

Then there will always be cars like mine that have set in a corner for 30 years unregistered. How many '59s or others are sitting someplace and owned by someone that is not a member of any club or even pays any attention to Corvettes any more? I'll bet there are many and no way of documenting them.

Tom

Re: registry

59Tom said:
I'll bet there are many and no way of documenting them.

You're always hearing of some lucky stiff that finds something worth saving out there.

This isn't Corvette Related, but did you guys (Tom! ;)) see the 1968 "Dick Harrell" Chevelle SS on the cover of the latest Musclecar Review?

It was sitting for years in St. Joseph, MO, and it's an original Dick Harrell Chevelle, right down to the 11,254 mile tires. It's also the only one that had the two four-barrel carbed 427 and the optional A&A Engineering twin-scooped hood.

It went out the door at $6011, and ran a mean 12.84 at 107.14!

He didn't do anything to it except a light cleaning and detailing. And he's also got a '69 Dick Harrell Camaro he's working on.

"Some guys have all the luck."
:eyerole

Ken

Dick Harrell Chevelle

I had forgotton all about Dick Harrell. It seems all you hear about is Yenko, Baldwin-Motion and Nickey. I pick up Muscle Car Review sometimes when I see it.There is always some car that you have forgotten about in it.

Tom

Harrell got his start with Yenko. ;)

BTW, you gotta see the Thunderbolt that follows the Chevelle. It's one of Mickey Thompson's and Jess Tyree's "hemi" Fords. Not the SOHC motor, the hemi-heads on this were manufactured by Thompson, and it was a pushrod engine.

It's amazing how they were even able to keep the shock towers at all, that engine is so wide. They actually considered a straight axle for a while.
:eyerole

Ken

M/T hemi heads

Mickey Thompson made hemi heads for Pontiacs also. Maybe others. I remember that T-Bolt. It was for sale in Hemmings last fall, I think. In my archives I have the Mickey Thompson catalog I got in '64 or '65 with all this good stuff in it.

Did you see on Speedvision News where Mickey Thompson's ex partner in the stadium racing thing was arrested for the murder of Mickey and his wife in 1996? The police think they can prove that he hired 2 thugs to do the job and have witnesses. He wouldn't volunteer to be in a line-up so they had to arrest him, put him in the line-up and then release him. Police said 2 or 3 witnesses identified him. The case is progressing, so it seems. He still owed Mickey $18,000,000. from the court settlement from the split-up of the partnership.

On a lighter note, there is a Yenko SC Camaro clone at Auburn in the for sale corrall that is authentic right down to the seat patterns.

Tom

Re: Originality

59Tom said:
...there is a Yenko SC Camaro clone at Auburn in the for sale corrall that is authentic right down to the seat patterns.

But it's still a "clone". :L (JK ;))

Tom, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of this issue. There's also an article with them pulling runs on a dyno with a W-30 to see what kind of numbers they could generate, an article on what you can do by "extrude honing" exhaust manifolds and still maintain your original equipment look, articles on web sites, a technical section for carb tuning and buying, FORDS At Carlisle, and more.

There's even a letter in the restoration clinic that I'm gonna scan and post here. It has to do with a thread I saw somewhere in your shark forum, about intake manifold heights and underhood clearance. ;)

I've been subscribing to this magazine for about fourteen or fifteen years now, and still look forward to each and every issue. :D

Ken

You'll notice the referrence in the title to this reply says "Originality". I hope we didn't detract too much from the origins of AJF's original questions about '59 numbers :L

'59s

Well, to get back on the subject, there are several '59s at Auburn. A nice white 290 hp fuel injection that was restored in '76 and now would be a very nice driver. Asking $40,000. in the sale corrall. 2 red 270 hp cars. I all red soft top only and the most godawful mean and nasty sounding bright yellow, blown, tubbed and roll caged pro streeter I have ever seen. And a few others. I have never seen so many '59s at Auburn. Solid axles are well represented in '56s and '61s also. Not to tell all because I am going to do a complete recap on tne auction and post it. Don't want to give it all away. I think I have already made my Corvette pick of the sale though. You know, that car you would buy without any regrets if you had the money.

Can you believe 2 real '69 L88s? Green one sold today too cheap if you ask me. Blue one with 21,000 miles goes through tomorrow. How about a real Baldwin-Motion '67 SS427 Camaro in black? Sold for $40,000 today. This is also the year for '64 and '65 GTOs.At least 20 nice ones there. Also more '64-'65 El Caminos that I have ever seen in one place.

Steve, if you are reading this; '62 409s everywhere. 2 bubbletops, a Honduras maroon SS and a blue convert that sold for $41,500!! How about a '66 SS396 convert, yellow/black with only 10 miles since it's absolutely perfect frame off restoration. But it had a 502 and a nicely detailed engine compartment. Sold for $48,750. About any high performance car you could think of.

Only 3 more days of the sale to go. I wonder what I'll find tomorrow that I haven't seen yet.

Tom

p.s. If you haven't registered on Ebay for the give-away '61 Corvette, do it. It is perfect.

Tom Tom

There I fixed it. I even saw one for you Ken. A totally badass red C4 Pro Street. Sounds great. On the lighter side, how about a pink pearl Auburn Boat Tail replica with a blown 426 hemi?

One Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom