Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removal of Center console for 69?

django10000

Corvette
1969 427 390hp Red Convertible
Does anyone know the easiest way to remove the center (shift) console in a 69? It seems that you have to dismantal many parts: cluster panel, radio, map pocket area, etc. to remove this piece since it is bolted down by the cluster panel. Any tricks, or is this one of those tedious all day events?

Well...I might not say all day.....the only way I know how is to start from the dash and work your way back. I always take out the seats as well, it makes the job quite a bit easier IMO.

Some advice: There are two bolts from the front gauge housing that connect to the vinyl wrapped center piece. They are part of the center casting so you will only see the nuts. You can reach them (but not see them) after you pull up the middle cast shift plate. Or by pulling the two side extension off and reaching and looking up. There is also a hidden bolt holding down the plastic that goes around the hand brake. It is only accessed by pulling the glove box out. The whole instrument panel is VERY hard to work on, take time. GM had to have a special team of people with very small hands and no taller than 4 feet to put the dash together.

George

Got the AIM? It doesn't speed things up but it helps. Got plenty of FCB? Ditto. Doesn't speed things up but it helps.

:)

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am taller than 4 feet, so that could pose some issues in reaching bolts etc. Sorry, not up on my acronyms, AIM? and FCB? Is one of these the assembly manual, I have that and it helps somewhat - but doesn't really help answer the question on which is the easiest way to dismantle (and attempt to put back together againafterwards). Looks like this may be a project - some things can be so easy and others - well you know...

Thanks for the input.

AIM Assembly Instruction Manual all the aftermarket providers carry the AIMs. Order one for your year.

FCB Favorite Corvette Beverage Self explanatory. Your choice.

Those 2 studs coming down off the center gauge panel into the front of the console are the hardest part. There must be a trick to them, probably the center panel and console were assembled as one down the line.

You need to be very, very careful with the center gauge cluster bezel. It's too easy to break it into 2 pieces just above the gauges if you push or tug too hard on it in order to get it into position. You need to take your time as it's not a quick job. Looking at the AIM does help because it shows where all the fasteners are.
Regards,
Alan

You need to be very, very careful with the center gauge cluster bezel. It's too easy to break it into 2 pieces just above the gauges if you push or tug too hard on it in order to get it into position. You need to take your time as it's not a quick job. Looking at the AIM does help because it shows where all the fasteners are.
Regards,
Alan

You've got that one right.

You need to be very, very careful with the center gauge cluster bezel. It's too easy to break it into 2 pieces just above the gauges...

The 68s and (possibly) some of the 69s have a three piece center guage arrangement consisting of the gauge cluster, wiper switch bezel/AC vents, and a U shaped ring to retain the wiper switch bezel. At some point this changed to the one piece cluster bezel which, as explained above, are prone to cracking. As best as I can determine, the only thing currently available in reproduction is the one piece bezel.

Anyone know when the change was made? My 68 assembled in April 68 has the three piece arrangement.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom