Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Remove blower motor on c3 bigblock AC car?

Bolisk

Corvette
1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
Any easy(er) tricks to getting at and pulling the blower motor? I really do not want to remove the outer AC box just to get at it. Can I get at it from the fender vent on my 72? The reason is that few mouse made a home in there. I want to pull the motor and wheel out. . .clean the area really well. . .then re-assemble.

I recently changed out the blower motor on my '72 coupe. I removed the side grill to gain access to it. It's still a bit tight, but more accessible than coming at it from the top. Removal of the engine compartment A/C box isn't necessary. Seeing into the case may be a problem. I ran a shop vac nozzle around in mine to clean out any leaves and such. Since you will have the area open, you may want to consider changing your heater hoses since you are already in the neighborhood.

This is one of those jobs that falls into the "why did I want a big block car with air" catergory. Good luck with your project.

Seeing in the case shouldn't be a problem. :) My early xmas gift to myself was one of those endoscope inspection camera's! Only $150 at Costco. . .color screen, detachable monitor, and over 4 feet of scope length!!! Perfect tool for this mess. :) Good to know that I can get at it from the fender vents. Thanks for the info on that! Plan on replacing the hoses as rebuilding the heater core was part of this mess / project. :) I found the car in a barn. LOTS of mice nests. . .and mice filth. Doing a complete scrubing and interior replacement. slowly moving to the outside and mechanicals work. But want it to stop being gross first. :)

Have recently done the heater core also on my BB car. The side vent will be your friend here also. Having the vent grill removed will give you to access to the fasteners that mount the inner heater core box to the firewall. Removing the passenger side dash pad will give you access to the inner heater core box. The heater core hose nipples got thru the firewall and point down. Once the inner core box is loose, you will need to roll the top of the inner core back to about a 45 degree angle and then lift the assembly out.

I removed the heater fan and motor from my A/C car with 350 engine. Did that from the top, and it is straight forward.
Do not think that a BB engine would be any different.

I did that for similar reasons: noise with the fan running; no mice in there, and very few leaves.
After cleaning and lubing the motor, it was not changed very much: at low speeds the fan remains relatively noisy [if the engine is not running!!!]

Cor

I removed the heater fan and motor from my A/C car with 350 engine. Did that from the top, and it is straight forward.
Do not think that a BB engine would be any different.

I did that for similar reasons: noise with the fan running; no mice in there, and very few leaves.
After cleaning and lubing the motor, it was not changed very much: at low speeds the fan remains relatively noisy [if the engine is not running!!!]

Cor

Sorry to disagree. From experience, a big block car is totally different from a small block car. The big block motor is wider than a small block and eats up a lot of space in the engine bay. Add air conditioning and access to the right side of the motor disappears. Add power brakes, and you lose a good deal of access to the left side of the motor. Add power steering and you lose access to the front of the motor. Changing spark plugs on my '72 LT-1 with air is a couple of hours job. On the '72 LS-5, it's a weekend affair. First chance you have, look under the hood of a BB car with air and appreciate the room your SB has. ;)

LOL!!!

Yeah.. I have a 70 SB car (no A/C, no PB, and no PS) and a 72 BB car (with A/C, with PB, and with PS)

Changing the spark plugs on my SB car is a 15 minute job.

My BB car took me many hours to replace 7 spark plugs, and jacking the front of the car, and removing the front passenger wheel to change the 8th. There is ZERO room to get at or even see the blower motor from the top of the engine bay. The A/C box, expansion tank, heater hoses, and AC compressor nearly completely fill the gap between the head and the edge of the hood opening. I didn't realize how ridiculous it was, until I owned a BB car.

I'm convinced that the C3's were never designed to have a BB and be serviced. :) Seems more like they were provided as an after thought because some engineer said. . ."well, yeah. . .it will fit. . .but..." and whoever was listening just walked away/wasn't listening when the engineer continued, ". . .you will not be able to work on it."

Anyway, pulled the side vent over the weekend to replace the heater hoses. . .and your right. . .the blower motor is right there. Thank god!!!! Looks like I may have to move the expansion tank to take it out, but that is far more friendly then removing a head. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom