Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

remove egr and use a block off plate on a 85 TPI?

nelson84

Corvette
84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
Will this throw a code? Will this give me a cooler running engine?

I could actually raise the temp. The exhaust gas going into the intake is to lower combustion temp.Also you could get detonation without it. The EGR is part of the complete system.

Glenn
:w

Fine, I will take it out and clean it. What do you use to clean it?

It may set a DTC.
It will not lower coolant temperature.
It may cause detonation at part throttle.

If you want to disable EGR, you may need to change the ECM cal. to a non-EGR program and you may need to alter the spark schedule at part throttle.

i dont think it will throw a code...
i have blocked off other vehicles..with a beer can gaskit sandwitch..
and noticed nothing....lol:boogie

As other people have commented, it is part of the total system. Don't delete it. Yes, people have deleted and they have no clue as to why, except "somebody" else did it. Seafoam / Deep Creep works great at removing carbon residue.

CG

As other people have commented, it is part of the total system. Don't delete it. Yes, people have deleted and they have no clue as to why, except "somebody" else did it. Seafoam / Deep Creep works great at removing carbon residue.

CG
I plugged the vacuum line to the EGR to cure a missfire, she's running much better now.What harm am I doing and how do I take off the plenum to get to it ? Any help is greatly appreciated. Roger.

The valve was probably leaking. That would cause a misfire at idle and might cause one at part throttle.

By disabling EGR, unless you change the ECM cal such that the engine will run properly. Because more spark advance is needed when EGR is enabled, without EGR, at part throttle, the engine will detonate which will cause EST to retard the timing. Retarded timing causes the engine to run hotter.

To run with the EGR disabled, you need to change "chips" to one programmed for use without EGR.

I plugged the vacuum line to the EGR to cure a missfire, she's running much better now.What harm am I doing and how do I take off the plenum to get to it ? Any help is greatly appreciated. Roger.

As Hib stated, it may appear to run better, but the motor can recognize detonation usually before you can hear it. Removing the plenum will require a large Torx socket (forget the size/number) and other basic tools.

1. Remove the distributor cover.
  2. Remove the throttle cable and cruise control cable(s) / bracket.
  3. Remove rubber flexible air tube from throttle body.
  4. Remove throttle body water bypass from under flexible rubber air tube (hose going into the lower throttle body on drivers side of TB. There will also be a few vacuum lines/hoses that will need to be removed around the TB.
  5. Remove upper Torx bolts on each side and remove plenum (center section).
  6. At this point you can access the EGR, but the two small bolts may give you a fit. There is also a "switch" threaded into the EGR... be careful around this switch because it is delicate. Remove he intake runners if this give you better access.
  7. Remove lower Torx bolts and remove each section of intake runner.
  8. Be careful removing the Torx bolts as you can easily ding/damage the aluminum intake runners as they are very soft
  9. I would buy new gaskets for everything upon reassembly. They are not that much.
CG

What is your reason for wanting to do this? Is it running rough/bad?? Do you want to improve performance?

I can tell you right know, that putting on a block off plate for your EGR will do next to nothing for performance. As the EGR only operates (for the most part) during cruising conditions ie. highway driving, etc...At WOT it will never be open, unless it has a problem with the EGR system.

It threw a code 32 and on the way home it started to over heat. So I thought it would be easier and cheaper to block it off. Are corvette TPI egr's readily available in the auto parts stores or is this an order deal?

Should be able to get one at a parts store, they aren't fancy or nothing back on the TPI's.

Hi Hib,George, Thanks to you both. I'll be getting to it as soon as I can. What gaskets should I get ? Roger.

I can tell you right know, that putting on a block off plate for your EGR will do next to nothing for performance. As the EGR only operates (for the most part) during cruising conditions ie. highway driving, etc...At WOT it will never be open, unless it has a problem with the EGR system.
:thumb
EGR part I
EGR part II

Except the misfire isn't cured...

And the tank vapors will accumulate and find a way out somewhere. And we should probably mention that the vapors can burn a little bit YUP.

It threw a code 32 and on the way home it started to over heat. So I thought it would be easier and cheaper to block it off. Are corvette TPI egr's readily available in the auto parts stores or is this an order deal?

If it lit up the code on the highway, it could have a leak in the EVAP system. Which means tank vapors are getting out.

No problem in wintertime though, with no shortage of static electricity everywhere you go...

nagasaki.gif

Except the misfire isn't cured...

And the tank vapors will accumulate and find a way out somewhere. And we should probably mention that the vapors can burn a little bit YUP.
Hi Schrade, it DID cure the missfire. BUT. See my other thread. Thanks. Roger.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom