Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

remove tumbler

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
If you lose the key for the ignition, how do you remove the tumbler? I removed the tumbler in my 81 with ease. I didn't even need the key, all i had to do was remove the wheel, and turn signal junk, and remove a screw. But on my 74 its not like that. I have drilled the crap out of this thing, banged on it, pry'd on it, and i have removed almost all the internal workings of the tumbler but still can not free it loose.?????????????????????????????

I don't remember for certain about those old ignition switches, but I think you had to put a paper clip into the little hole in the front and then turn to start with the key in and the whole thing then falls out.

I'm not sure about the '74, but on the '73 t/t there is a spring loaded latch in the lock cylinder sleeve you must depress with something like a small screwdriver. I have a new lock cylinder if you need one.

IMG_0306.jpg

thanx, i'll try that again, i tried sticking a screw driver in all the holes and nothing happened. But since you showed me wich hole, i'll give it another shot. thank you

There's usually die-casting flash blocking that hole - you have to punch the flash out of the hole with the end of a screwdriver before you can see the little latch you need to depress. :)

i got it out finally. wow they really make them difficult to remove

thanx guys

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom