Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing engine

maxrevs85

Corvette
!985 ,blue coupe, 4+3 Z51
Since I put the car on stands ,I have pulled the exhaust and the 4+3 trans and drive shaft . Next is the motor, hoping it will come out with the bell housing attached. (?) Really wasnt a bad job. I liked the way they did most of engineering . After the motor ,then the rear end is coming out.
My plans are to replace all bushings on suspension,frt & rr. Change to a 3.54 r&p, Richmond 6 sp. .The engine is a stock L98 steel heads TPI. I'm going to do a slight cam change ,just enough to give a little more bottom end and mid. Rework the stock intake ,plenim and runners. Add the 52mm throttle body . I would like to see a gain of 40 or 50 HP. I want to remain as stock as possible for reliability and cruisability. Might go with roller rockers too. (total rebuild too)
BTW, I dont believe roller rocker will fit under stock valve covers. Do they make a tall cover ,corvette style. And also ,what is method of cleaning the stock covers when they get badly discolored.:(
Today is my First grand babies first birthday :birth She's a beautifull redhead . :) Partytime at my house :D

Kieth ,The grand baby is spoiled to the Max!! Thanks to me:D. Now the vette is getting spoiled(my other baby). Thanks for the websites .I've been to the LPE site . It makes me want the super ram deal with the manifold. My budget says no . My engine builder and I want to play with the stock stuff a bit first. Maybe later for the other. The trans comes first :eek. Might do a little work on the heads too. Nothing is engraved in stone yet. I'll be at the $10k mark before long . :hb And I'm doing most of the work too!! :bang

Hey Dave, check out TPIS for a look at the modified runners and "Big Mouth" manifold they sell for the L98. ;)

_ken :w

Ken,
The Tpis is a nice system too...With the BigMouth and the runners , is the stock plentem compatible? Or does it need to be reworked to take advantage of the bigger volume of the intake. The mini looks good to but I think you have to buy alot of extras to make it work or did I miss somethingand the stock parts will work. I know you need to buy the fuel rail kit. What I'm getting at is , it seems by the time you get done purchacing everything to make it work its not cost effective. Same with the LPE...It gets kind of frustrating when your tring to be budget minded .Ok CHEAP LOL..:D

Also.... I do like the cams TPIS offers......I like the one that says "use the high intensity crane lifters for a little nicer idle" Hell I WANT the lumpy idle....LOL

Me too.

I will be yanking the old mill out of the 90 in the next week or two. I am looking for a cheap 1987-88 4+3 flywheel to resurface and use with the ZF six speed and Ram clucth conversion from TPiS.

I started to pull the hood off the car yesterday, but my buddy was over and he was encouraging me to yank it out sideways and leave the hood on. I have done this with an automatic trans in the C4, but never a stick. I think I need that hood off and extra frontal room to align the clutch on the install.

With a stick shift, I don't think there is a better combo than the Mini Ram manifold from TPis. It gives you the breathing capabilities of an LT1 engine, yet none of the complications of the opti spark and direct drive water pump. You will loose bottom end torque, but with a stick you can more than easily get back to where you need to be in the power band.

Most of the problem with the L98 has NOTHING to do with the stock cam, heads, or compression. It is that darn intake that chokes it off at about 4,800 RPM.

I will take some pics and post them up when it comes open.

69MyWay said:
[I started to pull the hood off the car yesterday, but my buddy was over and he was encouraging me to yank it out sideways and leave the hood on. I have done this with an automatic trans in the C4, but never a stick. I think I need that hood off and extra frontal room to align the clutch on the install.]

I was wondering why you need the xtra room for the clutch alignment. When I pulled the 4+3 out there was room to push trans back to clear the bell housing,that is with the torq arm and drive shaft out and there should be enough room to move the motor ahead some......

I do like the miniram from TPIS.....I think if you tweak the valve train a little , and roller rockers ,you might get an xtra 1000 rpm. I hate to kill the bottom end ,but if it moves the torq curve up a bit I will be ok. I plan on ordering the 1st & 2nd gears in the richmond 6 speed to help that.And with the gear change. Actually the TPIS is a pretty reasonable expense for the performance gain that is achieved.

I was figuring putting the trans in after the motor was back in. I didnt have a problem getting it out and I understand about the the pressure plate and flywheel. I plan on pulling the motor with the bell housing attached ,I hope.....LOL....."Anythings possible, the impossible just takes longer" :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom