Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

removing the seat buckets

C

cmegga

This may be a very dumb questoin, but I dont want to destroy anything.

I have an 81, Im trying to get the plastic seat buckets out to change the seat belts. On the bottom buckets closer to the back of the car, there are 2 bolts on each ( the larger bolts) I cant get any of them to budge. Even let them sit in wd40 for a day. what ever is under there I cant get to is spinning with the bolt. When I apply pressure I feel like the platic will shatter. I have already broke the medal surround that was rivited in.

Before I take the dremel to them, does anyone know if these bolts are replaceable after I cut them off. Or is this a special bracket under the bucket I will need to shell more cash to replace ?

Any thoughts or trick to getting these loose ??

cmegga

Do you have the seats out of the car? If not there are 4 studs that come through the floor boards with nuts and washers, remove these and pull the seat out, if you have electric controls you'll have to disconnect that first.

Once out of the car you may be able to see more. I think the plastic is held on with small nuts behind the fake acorn ones.

Good Luck

I cant realy put a pic up the car is about a half hour away in storage right now.

It is the bottom plastic seat bucket that is bolted to the floor. Im trying to get it unbolted from the floor of the car. If that is anymore helpful

cmega,

The seats are bolted two different ways. The drivers side has 4 bolts that go through the floor and are held with a washer/nut. They are however welded to the seat rails. The passenger side has 4 threaded bolts that mate with a threaded plate in the floor without a washer/nut. Try using Liquid Wrench on them. I wouldn't recommend using a dremel tool.

............ Nut

If worse comes to worse,take out the bottom seat cushion and you will see 2 3/8" bolt heads in the front and 2 bolts that come up from the bottom of the bucket in the back.Take those out and the seat will come out less the rails.

On my 69, the bolts going through the seat tracks into the floor of the car were seriously frozen in place. I tried it all. In the end came out the drill motor, dremel, grinder, chisel, hammer, and some bandaids for my hands.

If you have to do it this way, no worries. You can always make a nut plate to go back in as needed.

Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom