Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Repair or replace A/C condensor?

S

starvin4speed

Well, DUFUS struck again, I punctured my A/C condensor coil while installing the Vararam Snake Charmer! ;helpSmall puncture in the coil from a razor knife, can this be patched with epoxy, or do I need to replace the entire coil? Should I drive the car (w/out a/c on)?

Thanks in advance for any help,
TDF

First, i'll admit that I am not a C6 export or an AC expert.
But here is what I know:
1) You want to plug the leak as soon as possible. With an open hole, you can get moisture inside the AC system. This can damage other parts of the system.
2) if you decide to repair instead of replace, you need to be careful. The condenser coil is on the high pressure side (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong). This usually has several hundred PSI of pressure in it (250-300 psi is pretty normal). This means that you will need a patch that can stand up to that kind of pressure.
3) After you patch it, you need to pull a vacuum on the system in order to bleed out any moisture that got in. Most places leave the vacuum on for 15 minutes, but I would let the car sit for as long as possible (I have let my cars sit overnight).
4) I would fix it before it gets too warm outside.

Honestly, I would replace the condenser coil if there was room in the budget. If not, i would go to an AC shop so that I got a patch that would hold.

Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom