Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Repair Part/Availability for ZR1

Grizzly

Corvette
1967 Marlboro Maroon Coupe, 1992 White Convertible
I have seen some good deals out there in ZR1s, but I am a little concerned about the availability of the parts for an engine that was low production.

What can anyone tell me about this situation. I like to drive my cars and if parts for a rebuild are unavailable or very high priced that would limit its usefulness.

Yes if something goes wrong with the motor it will be expensive to fix. With that being said if you take care of the car, nothing will break. You will only have to think the normal C4 problems.

I have heard of 2 engine faliures both were because of bad workmanship on the car, First one a cracked crankshaft due to oil overfill by a dealer. Only one ever known of in all the ZR1 circles I know.

the second one was a cam shaft was timed incorectly or the cam sproket was istall wrong so the camshaft shifted and broke a part of the cam journel.

One other was a N.O.S incident where there was a explosion under the plenum and blew the top of the plunum up near the back of the motor car still ran but very badly he had a dry set up on his car and the gas got to the plenum and boom!

that was the only damage his motor sustained.

But realistically there are motors for sale from time to time Like I have a complete 90 motor and Im having a bear trying to move it for what GM would charge you for one single head! without cams!

so people are always looking for that bargin, there are parts out there the problem is when its time to replace he who has the parts makes the prices!

check out www.whiteracingproducts.com

that will give you a good idea of what prices are like and Kurt is a stand up guy! good prices on his parts

johnny

ZR1 failure modes/repair costs

Johnny,

Thanks for the very informative posting. Can others contribute to this small failure database?

What are some recent rebuild cost experiences members have encountered in doing a stock rebuild (for example, after bending a valve due to over-revving or due to high mileage/wear, low compression, bearing noises, or oil burning)?

Good luck on selling that ZR1 motor. You do realize that selling it may put some sort of automotive curse or hex on your running car's motor, right?

Steve

Well as far as like the cam covers go they are machined with the head so they are a unit if you look at GM prices a head is like $5,000 from GMpartsdirect.com cant remember the actual cost but its in that neighboor hood, the block is around $2500 and cranks is around $5,000

parts from GM are still out there in the supply system but are ungodly in price!

I havent heard of to much damage to stock motors and I think they all consume a little oil but rings and such I have never priced them, I have seen alot of guys who build there motors into 368-415's sell there stock parts pretty cheap with the pistons cylinder liners and rings you can usually get those parts in the 1K range for used.
like I said I never look at the prices of those.

and my motor in my 90 isnt going to get mad I bought this motor to oneday build it into a big cube but I found another ZR1 so im selling all my spare parts, I have this motor and a 90 trans also a lot of the wide body parts that I already sold just today.
If I cant sell the motor its no sweat cant worry about having a spare you know! :gap

I have a stock crank, rods, liners, pistons/rings

whole rotating assembly minus FW for sale if needed out of my LPE 95 390 LSV.

parts have 13k miles and look like new.

stock valves too if needed.

see www.lt5registry.net for sale section.

need to sell this stuff before I put it on ebay.

the stock parts are very durable but yes they cost a fortune from GM.

get em used, they are much more affordable and last a LONG time.

the lt5 is a very durable engine.

Rebuild Prices

The White Racing Products site tells the whole story. $850 per cylinder seems a little excessive to say the least. Assuming that you buy a ZR1 to run it and run it hard the way it was meant to be driven could be quite expensive. Lets face it, they don't all last for ever. Be sure that I am not judging White, if that is what the prices are then that is what they are. After reading more about it and what a custom job that engine really was, no wonder the prices are so high. Makes all the tuner engines look like a bargain.

I think I'll pass..............

Well I think the 24 hour record tells the real story running a average speed of 175 MPH for 24 hours id like to see other production motors do that.
Its a shame you dont want to take the plung you would'nt regret it I assure you!

Generally, the LT5 engine has proven quite durable. If I was to "worry" about parts, I'd worry more about ZR-1 specific parts other than engine pieces. Examples: the windshields or the body parts....which are unique aft of the A-pillar.

Also, there are two separate issues with ZR-1 parts: availability and cost. IMO, there are more parts still available than many in the hobby believe but, many of these parts available are obscenely expensive.

This is why, with market conditions as they are right now, if you have a used ZR-1 to sell (especially a high mileage car), in a fair amount of cases, you'll get more money if you part the car out rather than selling as a whole.

Hib Halverson said:
This is why, with market conditions as they are right now, if you have a used ZR-1 to sell (especially a high mileage car), in a fair amount of cases, you'll get more money if you part the car out rather than selling as a whole.

That is a sad statement of "The Kings" value :(

More worth as a parts car... What a shame...

ZR-1 is a race car

GM built the ZR-1 as a race car not a collector car. race cars do not have that long a life span so GM did not need to supply parts for years to come.

Re: ZR-1 is a race car

motorman said:
GM built the ZR-1 as a race car not a collector car. race cars do not have that long a life span so GM did not need to supply parts for years to come.

A race car with a motor that will run for well over 250,000 miles and keep on going without problems!
fact is the motor is was the best that GM put out and even though it is 80 tech it still kicks ass all over the road.

As far as the race car mentality lets go and see what parts gm has for the other 2 corvettes they made in 1990 regular coupe and convertible I have a feeling you wont find to much in the system not to many parts will be on the shelf after 10 years GM basically cuts off the supply chain but since I have searched alot of parts for the ZR1 all the supposed discontinued parts there are some still out there but they are getting low on stock and once its gone it is gone! GM is not going to have a lot of parts on the shelf of your local dealer for a ZR1
they made enough parts for the ZR1 to last a long time now what dealers and suppliers did with those parts at the end of the ZR1 in 95 because engines were going for 15,000 now selling for less than 9K it was the same influx of buyers who thought buying bulk parts would make them money down the road!
How much of this happen I dont know but since almost everyone thinks that ZR1 parts are so "rare" the prices sky rocket.

and havent come down yet, whiteracingproducts is probably your best bet on parts unless you have a dealer you can get parts through at dealer cost.

johnny

the standard corvette engine parts will be available for years to come. even the reverse flow cooling system engine parts are being sold by the aftermarket.

The ZR-1 was definitely not designed to have a "race car's lifespan".......quite the opposite.....

Brett

Me personaly I dont care if you guys are scared of the motor you have nothing to worry about stop being a wimp and get one!

Well anyway All it means is more ZR1's for those of us who love
these cars!

And don"t be mistaken I have owned many corvettes including a 02 Z06 but throught it all I kept my ZR1 getting ready to add a second ZR1 to the stable!
Hell I even had a vette when I was stationed in okinawa japan for 3 years

but anyway I have my ZR1s becasue I just love the car they are sweet and you cant beat the bang for the buck right now!
It is a special car and I still have people go crazy when they the motor.

just think about the C-5's value next year when the C-6 you want comes out and watch mine climb

Becasue it is a special car and I still have people go crazy when they the motor.

Awesome thread! Im really interested in getting a Corvette, I love the body styles of the C5, but something about the ZR-1 that makes go insane. But as a specialty engine, are there many parts out there to beef it up even more? Go with forged internals maybe stretch out the CID a little bit? Also is there room to put in a blower? Or am I just talking crazy?

cerealtool228 said:
But as a specialty engine, are there many parts out there to beef it up even more? Go with forged internals maybe stretch out the CID a little bit? Also is there room to put in a blower? Or am I just talking crazy?

Oh the parts are out there to fix them and yes you can beef them up even more most owners go for a 368cid or a 415 thats the monster.

there is one fellow in england who is building a 427!

but building those big motors will cost you big bucks!
think in the 30K range. that may have changed now since there are a few guys doing them other than lingenfelter.
It really all comes down to what camshafts you want in the motor.

you would not regret getting a ZR1
johnny

Re: Rebuild Prices

Grizzly said:
The White Racing Products site tells the whole story. $850 per cylinder seems a little excessive to say the least. Assuming that you buy a ZR1 to run it and run it hard the way it was meant to be driven could be quite expensive. Lets face it, they don't all last for ever. Be sure that I am not judging White, if that is what the prices are then that is what they are. After reading more about it and what a custom job that engine really was, no wonder the prices are so high. Makes all the tuner engines look like a bargain.

I think I'll pass..............

actully they do last. There are many out there with over 120k miles that still run as well as they did when new

30K range? yikes... and is that just parts, or is labor kinda included.... ill be doing all the work myself either that I was thinking of getting e early C5 and maybe going with a 436 CID supercharged or twin-turbo ... but depending on insurance situation (19, never been pulled over , or in a wreck) if its going to rape me or not.

no the 30K price tag is parts and laybor completely built and installed in your car tuned everything

johnny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom