Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replaced R-12 with Freeze-12 today

I thought it was pretty standard to have the compressor running when the defroster was on in order to dry the air out. That would pretty much mean that it would HAVE to work under 50 degrees. I know that our Japanese cars do that...
[RICHR]

That is correct - even all US made cars do it. The process of air conditioning removes moisture from the air and aids in defrosting -removing the moisture- from the windshield.

rrubel said:
I thought it was pretty standard to have the compressor running when the defroster was on in order to dry the air out. That would pretty much mean that it would HAVE to work under 50 degrees. I know that our Japanese cars do that...
[RICHR]

Warmer air has an affinity for moisture, cold air does not. Not necessary to run the compressor when it's cold outside. Then again the manufacturer doesn't care...the compressor failure is on you. Centrifugals are more prone to liquid damage then recips, but they can be damaged also. Properties of refrigeration and AC do not change. Systems that are designed to run in cold temperatures have heaters to chase out any liquid at the compressor during startup. Compressors may take a beating for awhile....then they bust up. My opinion only...

Wow some good A/C advise here

Finally some people who acutally speak AC.. great,
Rich.. I run F-12 in my 88 and my kids 91 camaro & the other ones 90 Honda.

This takes a bit less to charge the system that R-12 but don't worry about that.. they are different gasses.... my discharge at the vents is approx 34 degrees on ALL the cars at about 1500 rpm @ engine temp of ~ 200 with an outside ambient of over 80 degrees 30 % humidity...

It is a MUST to pull a vac on an open system I do an hour as a rule of thumb.

and NOW I always reseal every O ring and I visually inspect & CLEAN the expansion valve and or orifice tube ( that hosed me on my 92 EXPOLDER!)
I had to do the compressor twice due to a clogged orifice tube.. the high side doesn't like 320 psi.. and the front seal likes that less... let alone the clutch.

I ALWAYS change the drier ( it's like using an old oil filter ).

and the part most people miss....

pick all the rocks, bugs,paper bags & bird feathers out of the condenser.. straighten out the fins, wash it off with simple green ( LOW PRESSURE WATER ).Also make sure the front of the radiator is free of debris see my latest posting about that.

AND

remove the blower motor.. reach in & get all the YUCK off the evaporator.. and you will be as good as new.

Vig~

vigman said:
Finally some people who acutally speak AC.. great,
Rich.. I run F-12 in my 88 and my kids 91 camaro & the other ones 90 Honda.

Hey Vig!!!!!!......long time no hear. Glad to see you're alive and well.......

Len:w

Oh crud - are you saying that I should have pulled a vacuum AFTER replacing the seals? That might explain why it didn't take as much as I expected. It does blow cold, though.
[RICHR]

air in a refrigeration unit is a no no . if you don't open a system you don't need to vac it but once you open it there is air in it , that needs to come out.
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom