Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacement Carb.

ZAL81

Corvette
81 Charcoal Metallic 4-spd & 94 Red 6 spd vert
Hey everyone,
I haven't been around much lately due to building my garage over the past year and a half, but now its done and I have projects to catch up on!
First project is to replace the carburetor on my 81. I would like to know what some of you have used as a replacement. I'm looking into the Holley Q-Jet replacement carb but I'm curious about any hood clearance issues.
Anyone used this carb or is there anoter option that will work without to many modifications?

Thanks, Zane

What not just get your OEM carb refurbished / rebuilt??? It's more than enough to feed the fuel requirements of the L81...

You are talking about replacing the finest carburetor ever made with a generic. Don't downgrade, rebuild the original! God bless, Sensei

Are you planning on dumping the ECM too? Your original carb is controlled by the ECM. If you dump the ECM you will need a different distributor also. If not, I also urge you to have the original professionally rebuilt.

Tom

O.K. I guess I'll rebuild the original carb again. I had it rebuild about 11 years ago, so I thought this time around that I would upgrade. Never thought about the ECM being an issue. Looks like I track down someone to do a rebuild. By the way, heres an updated photo of my car wearing her new wheels/tires!
IMGP0265.jpg

IMGP0266.jpg

Nice choice of wheels. Can't go wrong with Americans. They look great with the color.

Yeah, I may have to photochop your rims/wheels on to my car to see how it looks.

Question: How's that windjammer? Does it really work that well? Is it worth it? How is it on the highway?
I've been looking at 'em for a few years now, but have never popped for one yet...

I'd like to know about the windjammer too! Easy to install/uninstall? I like the wheels also... damnit I like everything! Are you side gills painted?

-Tatortot

I bought a lifetime warrented remanufactured carb from National Carbs, was perfectly clean bolt on install. Fixed all my hesitation and choke probs, very happy with and it's been installed about 3 years now.

Evolution1980
Question: How's that windjammer? Does it really work that well? Is it worth it? How is it on the highway?
I've been looking at 'em for a few years now, but have never popped for one yet...

22229stingray81
I'd like to know about the windjammer too! Easy to install/uninstall

In my opinion the windjammer works great. Its easy to install/uninstall with two allen head bolts thru the front t-top mounts. On the highway, its the only way the wife will ride with the tops out- messes her hair up, dries her contacts out, etc. etc. On the highway with the tops out and the windows up you can barely feel the wind on the top of your head and I'm 6'3"so I sit pretty high in the seat.

22229stingray81
Are you side gills painted?

No the gills aren't painted. I have the vertical sections pinstriped with metallic silver stripes. The good thing about pinstripes is their not permarment, change your mind peel them off or change the color. I can get you a close up pic if you want a better look. Just say the word!

cheeseral
I bought a lifetime warrented remanufactured carb from National Carbs, was perfectly clean bolt on install. Fixed all my hesitation and choke probs, very happy with and it's been installed about 3 years now.

Cheeseral, Would you happen to have a number for National Carbs handy? I'd be interested in talking to them. If not, I can do a goggle search on them.

Thanks, Guys

The more pictures the better!! Your car is gorgeous! Is that the stock charcoal color?

-Tatortot

Dear ZAL 81. I've kind of made a study of these carbs since buying my '81 and finding everyone afraid to touch it. I've rebuilt a half dozen or so of them and, I would be willing to do yours for the cost of materials (cleaner, kit and any needed replacement parts not in the kit). You could probably safely figure $100 plus two way shipping to 32068 (Fl). If interested, PM me your phone number and let me know what problems you are having with it. God bless, Sensei

:w Zane

Nice looking Wheels ;) Been a while since I've seen the ole 81 out... how's the everyday C5 running?

Somewhere in my archive of photo's I have a shot of ours and BLACKDOG's sitting together ... 3 gorgeous looking Sharks :dance

I can't add anymore than what's been said above, except I know a mechanic around the Dallas area that I would trust to rebuild Rare's carb if needed. Sounds like you have enough options already though..

Blender Wars is still a function of CruiseFests ;LOL and the next one is late June in Colorado Springs ;)

Enjoy the :Steer my friend ..

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom