Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacement tires for original 1995 Coupe

C

cbertrim

Can anybody give their opinion?
My originals are Front- Eagle GS-C 285/48/ZR17 ;Back- 285/40/ZR17.
I need replacements but do not want to buy new wheels. Actually 2 original Backs would do but I can't find them. I may have to buy a set and there are alot of different brands out there. I do mostly city driving however the car only has 11,00 miles on it.
Thanks for any reply.
Craig

cbertrim ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

Craig,

Welcome, I moved this down into the C4 Forums, Someone here will be along to help you. Since I haven't owned a C4 in almost 11 years or so, I'll defer this to the C4 Guys and Gals ;)

Welcome aboard and enjoy the :Steer

If you're on a budget, you just can't beat Kumho's for the money. They are amazingly well made in a sectioned mold rather than the inferior clamshell mold that many tires are made in. They require absolute minimal balancing weight which says a LOT for their quality. These tires will run smooth as silk as fast as you wish to drive it. They are also the least expensive tires you can find.

If you liked the GSC's and have an unlimited budget to work with, stick with them.

My $0.02,

As I've said before many times, I love my Sumitomo tires. They are an excellent, less expensive alternative for the goodyears. They are smooth and they handle really well.

Best for money-Kumho. I have them now and I like them.

Best overall-Firestone SZ50, best rain tire I ever used, good dry traction and quiet. Just expensive as hell.

If you really wanted to stick with Goodyears, the only one that I even considered trying was the Eagle F1's.

Tires

Mounted a set of 4 Firestone SZ50's a year ago. Really like them. Good traction (wet or dry) and much quieter than the OEM's. $820 from a local alignment shop and well worth it.

No need to buy new wheels - there are quite a few tires available in either 275/40 or 285/40 that will work for you.
The new GoodYear Eagle F1 D3 is the replacement for the GSC and comes highly rated. Many people swear by the Firestone SZ50. I'm running Michelin Pilot Sports.
Check out tirerack.com for both sizes and see what's available. They have a good selection.

Love my Kumhos!

Put on Kumho Esta Supras 712s after reading many reviews. Was looking for great rain tires that would would work for autocross if needed.
Havent got to autocross yet but am extremely pleased with both the wet and dry performance. These tires rock compared to the half worn gators that came off!
Best of all my favorite supplier (Les Schwab a west coast Co.) had them for under $500. See what your suppliers you work with have and see what the reviews at the Tire Rack and epinions have to say. Good Luck! :_rock

The Kumho's will grip in the autocross only after you get them really hot.

Tires

I would recommend the Goodyears, if you can afford them, and either Sumitomo's, or Kumho's if your on a tight budget. You should be able to get any of these in your stock sizes, or a little larger if you prefer. I surprised you need to replace any with only 11k on the car, especially if you are using the car mainly for weekend cruising.

Goodyear does not make the GS-C anymore and I had a hard time finding them a year ago for my rears. I purchased the new Goodyear F1 GS-D3 in the same tire size and these are fantastic tires.

F1 at Tirerack.

Much cheaper than the GS-C and the rain performance is way better than the old GS-C. Good luck with your decision.

vader86 said:
Best for money-Kumho. I have them now and I like them.

Best overall-Firestone SZ50, best rain tire I ever used, good dry traction and quiet. Just expensive as hell.

If you really wanted to stick with Goodyears, the only one that I even considered trying was the Eagle F1's.
Hey Vader86 nice to see oyu here:D

As for the Tires I agree with Vader, and would add one more option when I had my 96 and drove it daily (80 miles) I put on the Bridgestone potenzas. They are great in the rain, very good on dry pavement, and wear extremly well. I got far more miles from them than any other tire I have used. And again they made they Vette almost drivable in hard rain:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom