Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing Oil Pan

JHL

Corvette
81 4 speed
Anybody done this with the engine still in the car, it looks like most of the steering needs to be removed. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
J.

Very easy to do. Remove 2 bolts from idler arm (passanger side of car). This will allow you to pull down on steering system enough to remove oil pan. On your 81, the exhaust may be in the way, but I'm not sure. Are you replacing the rear main seal? If not, I would while your in there. When you reinstall, go with a one piece oil pan gasket with little plastic guide screws. These screws thread into the 4 corners of block and allows oil pan gasket and pan itself to rest on the guides while installing. Also lines everything up. Makes life so much easier. And the gasket is reusable. It cost more but is well worth it. Check your local autoparts stores or order from Summit.

Regards,

Jim

80 convert

Thanks,

Job for the weekend. I have a new timing cover to go on as well and the exhaust is already off ready to fit sidepipes. I have a Felpro gasket set so that will have to do for now although I intend to use studs instead off bolts so it should go back together a bit easier.

J.

union jack

Cheers mate :beer

I was in Bristol in the late 80s playing with a kewi bar maid at the Happy Landings pub and hanging out with some Brit *SBS/SAS* guys had a great time love your country.

:drink Guinness

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom