Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Replacing the CFI system

RobandNada

Corvette
1982 Charcoal Coupe
The Project

Hey folks!

I have an '82 that I have been working on and recently found that ALL of my wiring is in need of replacement. Engine harnesses, front and rear light harnesses, etc. I have decided that I will crate and store all the original engine parts and accessories and build a high performance engine. Before I order a new engine harness, I have been trying to find out which would be the best harness to replace the original with that will support a carb, HEI, and hopefully most of the other functions I currently have less the computer and CFI. I already know which parts I will need to replace when I do this, just don't have the harness info.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I don't know how it is in the States but over here. When you look back about 10 years then the fuel was almost for "free"! Don't go back into time with a carb when you have the change go with a injection engine!

Greetings Peter

I don't know how it is in the States but over here. When you look back about 10 years then the fuel was almost for "free"! Don't go back into time with a carb when you have the change go with a injection engine!

Greetings Peter

This isn't a daily driver so MPG isn't a concern. The cost to put a performance fuel injection system is well over my budget. Just need the info for a harness. Thanks!

Do you have emissions testing in GA? If so, you might want to check with the DMV before you change anything. We won't be able to answer your question concerning the engine harness until we know what you intend to install. Carburetor? Aftermarket EFI? Ignition system?, etc. If you keep the stock HEI and use the electronic Q-jet, the 81 engine harness might work.

:thumb

Do you have emissions testing in GA? If so, you might want to check with the DMV before you change anything. We won't be able to answer your question concerning the engine harness until we know what you intend to install. Carburetor? Aftermarket EFI? Ignition system?, etc. If you keep the stock HEI and use the electronic Q-jet, the 81 engine harness might work.

:thumb

Thanks for the reply!

There aren't emission checks here that I am aware of. Been here for three years and haven't had a check yet, LOL.

I will be going with a stock Chevy HEI system (not the original with the car though, because it doesn't have a vacuum advance) and a Holley carb, but nothing electronic.

Thanks for the reply!

There aren't emission checks here that I am aware of. Been here for three years and haven't had a check yet, LOL.

I will be going with a stock Chevy HEI system (not the original with the car though, because it doesn't have a vacuum advance) and a Holley carb, but nothing electronic.

I to plan on doing the same here in ohio, and will be watching your progress closely. Please share you info i see snags with the throttle cable, linkage nightmares with finding the right bracket, bypass oil pressure switch / fuel pump and hate to lose my cruise control.
Currently have mine running way better than it ever has still cant beat the rough idle after warm up.

changing it to a carb is not the best but if that is what you want .1980 had a carb ,get all the parts from a used one .you will still need a lock up for the trans.but you can do that with a switch .most that have done this change over did not change the harness,they just did not use the wires for the injection .then you run the hot wires for your distrbuter.

I have a bud owns a tranny shop he said the 1st gen 700r's tolerate disconnection the lock up converter with no ill effects. And thank you for the heads up on the 80 will definately make the switch easier.

Thanks!

I will be changing out the engine and the tranny so getting the lockup issue with the 700 isn't a worry. As for linkage, I should be able to fabricate and/or find one from an 80 or so that will work. I think, however, that I will probably replace the front and rear bumpers first though. Gonna rename this thread to "The Project" LOL.

Thanks to everyone for their input. If you have more to add, please do! I always open for suggestions!

Why?

What you are attempting is a headache and frustration that will make you go crazy. I speak from experience. Alot of people wanted to do this. I warned them not to, for it is just a nightmare. If you want to do this it would be a wiser to sell the car and get a earlier model that is not a injected. Plus alot less headaches and saving alot of money.
The crossfire is a very simple basic system to tune. There are crossfire c3 's out there pushing a 383 with 400hp with zero issues. Upgrades make it functional and capable of supporting a heathly c3. Fuel injection is always better then any carb setup. Better economy, easier to tune and you do not have to destroy the car. You need to check out crossfireinjection.net. they can help you.
For the 700r4 swap buy a tci kit for 80 bucks. Simple plug and play no hacking or issues. Summit or holley has the bracket for 20 bucks. New tv cable is 50 bucks. And that is it for the trans.
feel free to contact me and i will help any way i can. I always am willing to help and use my 20 years of experience in the auto industry to good use.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom