Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing the expansion tank on 1981 Coupe

mljones13

Corvette
1981 Red Coupe
How difficult is it to replace the expansion tank on my '81? Do I remove a lot of other parts to get it out? Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Its mounted on the right side fender.
2,maybe 3 bolts and a hose to the radiator and its out
really easy!!!!:thumb:thumb

Sorry but I don't agree with Bill on this one. If you want to move it up and take it out from the top you see the expansion tank is much bigger then will fit through any hole at the top. If you remove the exhaust (and connected to that the aircopump) then you have a good change to get it out from the top.

I removed it from the bottom. Don't remember if you removed the dryer or not but I think I did. Maybe if you remove the starter then you're also good to go.

But first empty it and you can toss it around to see which way to go.
When you put in the new one always check if the bottom of the tank doesn't hit the dryer refill nipple. I didn't see it in time and the reservoir started leaking at the bottom seam.
Good luck!

Greetings Peter

Replacing the expansion tank on 1981 coupe.

How difficult is it to replace the expansion tank on my '81? Do I remove a lot of other parts to get it out? Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
I must say that I am confused by the two totally different thoughts on what it will take to replace the tank. I think I have to side with Peter on this one, it does look very tight for the removal of the tank from the engine compartment side. But, although it might be true, I sure don't like the idea of removing all of those parts in order to get the tank out. Is there anyone out there who has replaced one, and has first hand experience? Thanks guys. As always, much appreciated.

Seriously, the ONLY thing 'fun' about these cars is driving them.
Other than that, I could easily punch GM engineers in their teeth.

Replacing the expansion tank on 1981 coupe.

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to all the members of this forum. I am thankful that you are here in time of need. Well I started to replace the expansion tank myself, I like to at least try, but soon realized it was going to be a bit of a problem. As it turned out, it was more involved than Bill had stated, but not as bad as Peter had suggested. My local mechanic simply evacuated the Freon from my air conditioning system, removed the large hose coming from the A/C compressor, removed the tank and installed the new one. Charged me a reasonable $71.00 and I was on my way in about an hour. Just thought I would follow up with what I found. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Mike Jones
'81 Coupe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom