Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Research

S

Striker 85

Her is one for the books. I received my title from Ohio where I bought my 69. Along with it came the title from the last 2 owners. This goes back to 1980. Long and short, I was able to track down 2 owners prior to me. I have the history of the car until 1980. The last owner I was able to track down talked to me for about an hour about the car. When he had it, it had side pipes and he rebuilt the front end and repainted the car (orginal color). It seems the car has spent its life around Columbus OH. The title clerk there was not helpful at all, just saying " You have to come in and fill out a request, and we dont go back that far with records anyways". She didnt seem to understand I am 9-hours away. Anyways, does anybody have an idea of how I can find out what dealer may have taken delivery of this car in Columbus. I will call them all. It was a good conversation with the old owner, I could tell he was thinking about the work he put in the car, and kicking himself for selling it for only 2K, but who would have known. The side pipe thing really has me wondering if it came with the factory 1969 pipes? And no I couldnt see the build sheet on the gas tank.

I would love to find out the history on my Vette but the State of MD is not cooperating. I do have the build sheet. I know the previous 2 owners but that only covers the last three years. Striker 85, bet that was pretty cool talking to a previous owner...

It was pretty cool. The side pipe thing threw me. The car has headers now and I really want to know what it was when it came out of St. Louis. As I said, the old owner sounded like he was going to cry when he heard how much I paid for the car. The again my Dad had a 70 Hemi Cuda he dumped for 500, I love to rub that one in to him.

Good Luck on your research, the DMV people are no help at all, not in the big cities. The Girl in Worthington OH was very helpful and tried but couldnt find the records.

If anyone recalls a green convert in Worthington OH, sitting under tree with front end damage back in 1977, let me know...yes I know there is a different forum for that but....

...does anybody have an idea of how I can find out what dealer may have taken delivery of this car in Columbus. I will call them all....

I can recommend Rick Bizzoco's 1969 Corvette Guide Book http://www.cranescorvette.com/1969_stingray_guidebook.htm Crane's has them; they're pricey, but an excellent reference for '69s. If memory serves, Rick has a list of Chevrolet zones for 1969 production. You might be able to determine the original dealer that way. Don't be disappointed if you learn the original dealership went out of business and/or got a new owner during the intervening years. It would be an extremely long shot for the original dealer to have any records on the car. GM policy was that a dealer had to keep new car orders on file for five years at the dealership. At the end of five years, the records were sent to GM where they were stored for another five years. After that, no one knows where they went.

...The side pipe thing really has me wondering if it came with the factory 1969 pipes? And no I couldnt see the build sheet on the gas tank.

No way to know whether the pipes were factory installed without original paperwork. They were popular and could be purchased over the counter at any Chevy dealer.

Good luck with the hunt.

:)

NICB

The National Insurance Crime Bureau is another get place to get info. I ran my vin through them. The didnt have a lot of info, but were able to tell me that the 69 was delivered to a now closed dealer here in Wisconsin. That is irony. SO the hunt continues.

Their website is NICB.com. You have to get a password to get in. I lucked out and have a friend who has one. Make nice with your Insurance Agent and you can get loads of info.

NICB.com did not work for me. I have tried the MVA and my insurance agent and struck dead ends. Any other idea's?

NICB.com did not work for me. I have tried the MVA and my insurance agent and struck dead ends. Any other idea's?

Go here on the forum http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/infosearch/index.php?cmd=area

Allied-Vaughn has copies of dealer invoices for some of the 79-81 Corvettes. They will want your VIN and will check their records. If they find your VIN, they will send you a copy of the dealer invoice for your car after you send them $50 off your credit card. It's worth the shot. I was able to obtain the dealer invoice for my '80.

The dealer invoice was prepared from the information on the build sheet with the exception the invoice lists prices, full VIN, assembly and shipping dates, AND the original dealer the car was delivered to. Expected delivery date is on there too. You might be able to contact the original dealer to determine whether they have any records for a '79 Corvette, VIN, delivered on such-and-such a date.

Thanks Mike. I suppose if they find nothing then you lost your $50. Maybe I will give this a try later...

Thanks Mike. I suppose if they find nothing then you lost your $50. Maybe I will give this a try later...

No charge unless they find your VIN.

This is the invoice for my '80 L-82. Allied-Vaughn had my VIN in their records.
80Invoice.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom