Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Resizing Photos with IrfanView

XLR8

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
When members request help in resizing photos for including in their posts, I usually recommend this freeware at http://www.irfanview.com/. It isn't too difficult to use and it's the one I'm most familiar with, so if they need further assistance, I can generally talk them through it.

It can be downloaded at this address http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html

Once downloaded and installed, it can be used to resize photos to a more practical size for posting on the CAC.

The following is my attempt at a step by step tutorial to help new users.

Step 1...

After opening the software go to File>Open>Look in and select the photo you want to resize.

Update: See post #18 for more discussion about resizing your image.

Step_1_File_Open_LookIn.jpg

Step 2A...

This will open a Popup window in which you can choose the size you want.

If the file is large, such as 1800 pixels or greater, I normally select the
Step_2AB_Half.jpg
button to reduce the image to an easier size to work with.

If the file size is less than 1800 pixels, I select a Width of 1100 and the software will automatically choose a Height to keep the photo dimensions correct.

If I am satisfied with the image at a width of 1100, I return to Image>Resize/Resample and change the Width to somewhere in the range of 650-850. Again, the software will select a corresponding Height automatically.

***NOTE: I change the LARGER of the 2 numbers - if the photo is vertical, the height will be the larger number.**

Step_2A_Image_ResizeResample_Popup.jpg

Step 3...

If the subject of the photo is surrounded by too much "distraction" then I crop the photo while at the 1100 Width. This will sometimes bring the photo down to the 600-900 range and further reduction may not be needed.

I have highlighted the crop line in black to make it easier to see. In the software it will usually be a thin gray line.

To crop the photo, place your cursor(arrow) in one corner and while holding down a Left Click, drag the line diagonally across your photo. When you release the mouse button, you will have enclosed your photo within a box.

You complete the cropping step by going to Edit>Crop Selection as shown in this photo.

NOTE** anything outside the black line will be cropped. If you make a mistake or don't like the result, just go to Edit>Undo and try again.**
Step_4_Edit_CropSelection.jpg

Step 5...

Once you have sharpened the image, it is ready to be saved.

**Note** Use Save As - and you can use the same name for this photo, but add an "A" so that you DO NOT replace your original!!

Step_5_File_SaveAs.jpg

Step 6

You now have a clear and manageable photo which can be uploaded to the web for posting.

Coming soon - Managing Attachments (or uploading your photos!!)

So - are you ready to upload photos to your threads and posts now??? If you need help with that, follow me...
---> http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92568

Step_6_To_Be_Uploaded.jpg

Jane Ann,
Thank you for posting these instructions. IrfanView is a great free-ware program that does wonders to re-size original photos to make them of a more manageable size for uploading into a post here, or to a website.

Dwayne,
We're you taking notes? There's a test on this coming up, and you're the main one we want getting an "A" re-sizing photos to more manageable sizes.

:w
-Patrick

Photobucket automatically resizes uploaded photos which are over the limit. But I prefer to do my own editing and resizing to get the best pix available for posting.

I've not encountered a size limitation on the CAC yet - though there must be one.

Besides - anything over a screenfull is wasted. ;)

Patrick - thanks! Hopefully this will be useful to members that are new to photo posting on the web. :)

:w Jane Ann

I use to be able to do this but I have not been able to unload a picture for a very long time; I just gave up. I know I must be missing a step somewhere but I got tired of beating my brains out over it. When it comes to computers I know just what I need to know for the most part; the rest of it is beyond my pea brain's ability to compute I would guess. I have had a lot of people try to help me but still could not get it to work. Until there is an easier way, something simple I will not be posting any pictures. I have read everything on this, tried it, but it did not WORK for me for some reason. But all of this is not the END of my world, my brain just could not retain the information required to post pictures. ;shrug If there is something easier out there I might give it another try but if not that is alright too.

:patYou all have a very happy, healthy Memorial Day.

Bill :beer

Bill,

Anything I can do to help? Did you try following along with this thread? Click me to Upload Photos

:wJane Ann

I don't know Jane Ann and I do appreciate the offer but it appears pretty difficult to me; almost like you have to know more about computers than I do or even care to. You must remember all the instructions to me works for the ones who know what they are doing to start with but for someone like me that don't want to be or isn't that computer savy to start with ;shrugthe simple instructions just aren't that simple. Maybe I will give it a go sometime but I am just not sure my BRAIN :bangcan handle it. Again I know you are just trying to help, others have too but I have to think it's just me and my limited knowledge of computers. Like I said I am not and don't want to be an expert, just want to know what I need to know to do what I want to do with a computer.

You are so kind to try and help a lame brain :ugh like me but I am afraid I would just wear you out :confused

Bill :w

....You are so kind to try and help a lame brain :ugh like me but I am afraid I would just wear you out :confused

You're NOT a lame brain, Bill. You're a nice guy whose interests run more to Corvettes than computers. :D

I'm sending you a PM and we'll see if we can get some of your photos posted. ;)

You're NOT a lame brain, Bill. You're a nice guy whose interests run more to Corvettes than computers. :D

I'm sending you a PM and we'll see if we can get some of your photos posted. ;)

Jane Ann,

I use a computer everyday in my job but it is what I need to know to do what I do, I have done it so many times it is second nature but posting pictures and etc that takes me off the beaten path is hard for me to grasp. The instructions that you and others have posted should and does work for most people but I think I either miss a step or get bored with it and give up. Not sure it is a big deal since I don't really have to post any pictures maybe I feel it's not a big deal either :confused

Thanks again for all your help; you and others like you are what makes CAC the best there is! Not sure you're right about the lame brain ;shrug part either! Some things I am good or even great on, computers are just not one of them.

I've been asked a few questions by members about resizing so I'll cover the subject a bit more.

In an earlier post we talked about Step 2A - Resizing images.

This is because most images will load from your camera to your computer with a width of 2500 to 3500 pixels. That's way too big for uploading in your posts or threads, so you need to reduce the size.

In the following images, you'll see how I reduce the image to a manageable size for posting here.

Once you have opened the image in the Irfanview software, go to
Image > Resize/Resample

Step_7_Resize_Continued.jpg

This will open a pop-up menu with the current size displayed in the boxes. In this case, a width of 2576 pixels.

There are several options available to resize the image.

You can...
... remove the larger number, in this case 2576 and replace it with 850.

or... click on the HALF button which will reduce the image to 1/2 it's size.

or... you can select one of the sizes listed in the right side of the box.

Step_8_New_Size_Selection.jpg

Here's the image after I replaced the 2576 width with 850. It's a much better size for posting and I'm ready to Sharpen the image.

Go to Image > Sharpen and click on it.

Step_9_Sharpen_Image.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom