Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Restoration Questions

Pegasys

Corvette
1973 Red Coupe
A couple of quick questions....

1. How do I replace/restore torn vinyl dark saddle covers and add foam AND still keep the car "original '73"?

2. If I replace components with original parts - like the center console, but it's missing the engine ID plate - does it hurt the originality of the car?

So...the question really is this...I want to replace/repair a few components on the interior - how do I bring the car closer to mint original? (Does Eckler part replacements count?)

Thanks..signed...confused Mike ;help

Well Mike, once you replace it, it will never be "original 73" again. The trick is to do so in a way that will return the car to its original state when it left St. Louis. The goal is to replace worn parts with "correct" replacements. This begs the question of what your intentions are. If you're intending to go for Top Flight, a shredded intereior most likely won't get you there, but correct and NOS replacements will steer you in the right direction. If what you're looking for is a Survivor, replace nothing and hope for the best.

1. As long as you purchase a correct interior for your trim code, you should be fine. Personally, given the choice between a torn interior and a correct replacement, I'd take the replacement anyday. As I said, it will no longer be "original" but so long as it is correct I'd go for it. Fit and finish are crucial with interiors so don't cut corners (pun intended:D).

2. The engine ID plates are still available through most of the resto shops. Again, the same goes for originality.

I see that you live in Toronto. Perhaps you should make the drive to Carlisle this year. Lots of deals can be had there and you'll see plenty of examples of restored cars with owners who will be happy to tell you how they got them that way.

Good Luck!

- Eric :w

Restore - 1973

Thanks a lot Eric! It looks ok inside, but I know there's a couple of seat tears and there is almost no foam, so it's uncomfortable. I asked at the Vette specialty place here and they said the original seat covers would not withstand removal, refoaming and then replacement.

If I do this, what happens at Vette shows? Would they know or care if I replaced it with 1973 style seats, same color? Or, should I sit it out, wait until I find a 1973 dark saddle interior and then use those seats/covers. But, then again, it's not the "origianl" either....

Thanks...Mike

Mike -

The seats will never be "original" again, but the alternative is to replace the foam and covers with the best quality replacements you can find so it "appears to be original" and is "correct". What you want, by the way, is foam and covers from Al Knoch (http://www.alknochinteriors.com/) - the best in the business, bar none.

Any good automotive trim shop can install them and make them look original if they know what they're doing; if you really want them done RIGHT, just send your seats to Al Knoch and let them do the work and send them back to you. Not cheap, however :eek

I bookmarked it - thanks...I'll have to wait a while, but I think because I'm in Canada, the best thing to do is get the seats and foam from him and then get it installed here...

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom