Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rev limiter and shift points (auto 4 speed)

V

Vic Kovner

On a remote desert road my foot fell to the floor. At 85mph before the auto shift from 2nd to 3rd, the RPM touched 6000 and the rev limiter saved the engine. The car has 24,000 miles but this has never been a problem on the few previous occasions that I have stomped on it. It's at the dealers now to check the computer set up for shifting.

SHIFT POINTS

I drag race my '97 automatic once in a while. It shifts from 2nd to 3rd at about 100 MPH. I have a 2.73 (?standard gears) rear end. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 85 MPH doesn't seem like high RPM to me, unless you have very different gearing than I do.

I believe the 2000C5 has a 3.15 or 3.25 rear end option. This alone would increase the 85mph RPM by 13%. The 2nd gear ratio may also be different.

The dealer just called and told me that the shift points were incorrect and they reprogrammed my chip. Perhaps other C5 owners should check this out (but don't get a ticket)

Rev Limiter

My '00 vert with auto/3.15 gears , ram air and Corsa exhaust, revs up very quickly and it, too, hits the rev limiter at the top of 1st gear, even if left in drive. This causes the car to loose it's momentum and fall flat, for a time. It's frustrating! I'm not concerned with "saving the motor" because the extra 2-300 RPM isn't an issue to an LS1.
How tough is it to rework my computer to allow a few more RPM? This car really runs for a stocker, but the"burp" of hitting the limiter really slows it down.
Suggestions?? :confused
Joe

At 6000, HP is high but torque drops off. I think it would be better to adjust the shift points to maximum torque rather than higher RPM. HP is important to top speed, torque to acceleration.
The LS-1 is designed for torque over high RPMs.

I have my 98 A4 shifting at 5600 rpm. It seems to run just fine there. Used the HPP 3. Am looking at the LS1 edit program if I want to get really serious about programming. Reving to 6 grand shouldn't hurt a LS1 at all.

street torque

Hi Vic,
I agree, to a point. Once we reach 6,000 rpm, the vehicle is moving along pretty well, and the need for torque over horsepower is greatly diminished. I LIKE 6,000 RPM, and apparently so does Chevrolet, since the Z06 redlines there!

Now, about that rev limiter.......:blow
Joe

I have a 2002, and i've never had any problems with limiters. I get 1st to 2nd at about 55 and 2nd to 3rd at 104mph

rev limiter

I have a '97 automatic, and had no problems with the transmission shifting until I had it serviced a few days ago. It shifted soft, and late. Once, it would not go into second under full power. As soon as I let off, it shifted. I took it back to the shop and it turned out to be an incorrect transmission fluid filter.

Re: street torque

wagonmaster said:
Hi Vic,
I agree, to a point. Once we reach 6,000 rpm, the vehicle is moving along pretty well, and the need for torque over horsepower is greatly diminished. I LIKE 6,000 RPM, and apparently so does Chevrolet, since the Z06 redlines there!

Now, about that rev limiter.......:blow
Joe
and 143 from 3- 4

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom