Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Reverse lights not working on my C5

• Thread starter Thread starter Lambolover
  • Start date Start date
L

Lambolover

I recently had my fuel pump replaced. I just noticed that my reverse lights aren't working. I thought that maybe the mechanic disconnected something to get to the fuel pump. Of course they tell me that's not possible. The funny thing is, when I lock my car using the FOB the reverse lights do work, so I don't think it's a fuse and I know the bulbs are fine. I'm stumped! Anyone here have any ideas???

I recently had my fuel pump replaced. I just noticed that my reverse lights aren't working. I thought that maybe the mechanic disconnected something to get to the fuel pump. Of course they tell me that's not possible. The funny thing is, when I lock my car using the FOB the reverse lights do work, so I don't think it's a fuse and I know the bulbs are fine. I'm stumped! Anyone here have any ideas???

Hopefully someone with a little more experience in this matter will chime in, but I believe there's a switch mounted on the transmission for the back-up lights that could be faulty. Do you have an auto or manual?

Hopefully someone with a little more experience in this matter will chime in, but I believe there's a switch mounted on the transmission for the back-up lights that could be faulty. Do you have an auto or manual?

That was my first thought as well. But it would make sense to get a proper diagnosis before throwing new parts in.

It's my 6 speed that's having the problem. The place that put in the new fuel pump said that it could be a bad switch also. But, I thought it was a pretty big coincidence that I noticed it after I had the fuel pump replaced.
Is the switch expensive to fix/replace? Does the tranny need to be dropped to get to it?

It's my 6 speed that's having the problem. The place that put in the new fuel pump said that it could be a bad switch also. But, I thought it was a pretty big coincidence that I noticed it after I had the fuel pump replaced.
Is the switch expensive to fix/replace? Does the tranny need to be dropped to get to it?

I'm certainly NOT an expert on the subject, but I think I remember hearing something about an adjustment or something. Drth Vtr is correct in that you really should get some expert advise before throwing new parts at it hoping for a fix. We've got several of those experts on this forum. Hopefully one of them will chime in soon.

Dennis

Are your daytime running lights working? They are on the same fuse.

Are your daytime running lights working? They are on the same fuse.

The reverse lights work fine when I lock the car with the fob, just not when I'm actually in reverse. Sounds like it's the switch you guys mentioned. And, I'm convinced the guy who replaced my fuel pump 2 weeks ago had something to do with it. It seems to be too much of a coincidence.

Hi There,
Check fuse #2 under the hood it supplies power to the back-up relay as well as the drl's.Are your drl's working?If they are check fuse #21 in the pass. foot well. This supplies power to the b/u switch & your rear view mirror. Are your mirror electricals working? The b/u switch is located in the middle of the manual tranny on the right side & easy to reach(two pin connector) p/n 14069600 about $20. at the dealer. There is another fuse for the b/u relay. Its # 38 not sure were that one is located.
robs817_c5

6 speed 1999 C5 reverse light challenge

Changed the switch at transmission, the fuse is good, the lights flash/work when car is locked (bulbs good), but the reverse lights do not work when the car is shifted into reverse. Any additional suggestions? Dealer is clueless.

You say the dealer is "clueless"?!
Sheesh. It ain't rocket science.

The reverse lights in a 99 are turned on either by the switch in the transmission when you shift to reverse or by a relay that the BCM energizes when it commands the "approach lighting" on.

If the approach lighting works, then you know the approach lighting fuse and the relay are ok.

You need to check the back-up light fuse..it's #21 and if that's good then you need to verify the wiring harness has continuity from that fuse down to the back-up like switch on the transmission and then back up to the back-up light relay. If you still don't find a problem, since you've already replaced the switch, test the switch. If the switch is bad, replace it, again. If the switch is good, then the transmission may have a problem.

The Factory Service manual has diagnostic and repair instructions along with wiring diagrams. CAC sponsor, Zip Products sells FSMs for 99s. FSMs are one of the DIY's best defenses against clueless dealers.

Lastly, if you are tired of the hassle and you are near Bowling Green, there's a great Corvette repair shop across the highway from the Corvette Museum. It's run by a guy named "Jim". The shop is Automasters of Bowling Green. Stop in there and they'll be able to fix the problem. Tell Jim I sent you in.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom