Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Richmond or tremic

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
So I think I am ready to say when.

I wanted an automatic over drive trans for the 62, I chose a 700r4 trans thinking it was the perfect trans

Well its been over a year and I still dont have it working as I want, I just always feels like its in too tall agear

So I am looking into putting a stick in the car , I think my only choices are a richmond or the tremic

Anybody have any advice between the two of them?

So I think I am ready to say when.

I wanted an automatic over drive trans for the 62, I chose a 700r4 trans thinking it was the perfect trans

Well its been over a year and I still dont have it working as I want, I just always feels like its in too tall agear

So I am looking into putting a stick in the car , I think my only choices are a richmond or the tremic

Anybody have any advice between the two of them?

The Tremec is a very good tranny ..But..the Richmond I think is a better made tranny. Of course it's almost twice a much money. .

How's that go..???? "If I Were You".... I would find yourself an auto tranny expert and work thru your Auto Tranny problem. With all the info out here on the net , some one has the answer to your problem.

Here's where I go when I want some advice other then Corvette forums.
The link below should take you to the Tranny section of this Forum . If it doesn't you might have to join to log in that section.

It's broken down into sections or area's of the car...
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/

My .$.02 worth says...you have a beautiuful ride and what you have should work.

:beer

i like to drive the stick.......versus the auto where I dont feel in control....just my 2 cents.....

I got my Tremec TKO600 from Classic Chevy 5 Speed.....good guys....

Herb

What rear gear do you have? what Stall speed converter? those might be what your "problem" is; the auto will go to high gear under light load real soon and if you have a lock-up converter it might give that "too high gear" feeling also. I agree with Mark find someone local who knows autos and converters before you ditch the 700R4.
I don't have any experiance with the Richmond, but the TKO (Tremec) in my 76 has seen 30,000 miles without a glitch. I got it from a dealer in the NE back before "Kits" were available. Forte's I believe its called a "mustang" guy.

Larry,
I had a 700 in a hotrod with lock up converter. I really liked the gear spacing.
The richmond trans are not overdrives are they?

Larry,

Not sure if the 700 is the same as the 200r4 but I bet it's in your shifting points and lockup if you have lockup convertor. As for the lockup you should be able to adjust it thru the computer. I would bump 3rd and 4th up about 4-5 mph on the computer. The computer might also let you adjust the load vs shifting up or down. That will require less or more throttle to shift up or down. Or adjust your tv cable back a click or two. That should stiffen the shifts and raise them up a few hundred rpm. If you need higher rpm then remove the govern and change the wieghts. This is if its similiar to the 200r4.

I would work out the 700 before switching to a manual.

Chuck

I am running a 3:43 rear

I am using a painless torque converter lock up

I think I have a 2200 stall converter, We chose a low one so we did not have problems with it opening on the highway.

Hate to sound arrogant, but I just figured if I cant get it right then who can, (sorry)

So I am going to make an appointment with the shop who built the trans to see what he can figure out.

I am not normally a dangerous driver, but I had the car out recently just trying to see where the top end was on the car, with out any change in pedal pressure once you get up around 140 or so the trans acts as if it went into a passing gear. I was able to duplicate it several times.

So there are a couple of things happening with it that all though they seams minor.Its just not doing what I would like it to.

So for now I am just trying to see what my options are for a manual trans.

Larry,

If you doing 140 and it feels like it's shift down to a passing gear then either the tv cable is not adjust right (see here for more info: http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php) or something with your painless lockup kit is wrong as maybe it's unlocking the converter. I see they use the vacuum sensor to lock up the torque converter, maybe you need to hard wiring. If you hard wiring it make sure you have a solid converter and tranny built to hold it. I have my 200r4 hard wiring (it locks up the convertor as soon as it goes into 4th). If you have alot of hp and heavy car, it will put alot more stress on the convertor & tranny. I have a precision billet converter and all billet internal parts in the tranny with true roller bearings so it should hold up. We have the advantage of less wieght than most cars.

The 700 has a low first gear 3.06 and overdrive only being .70 (lower then the 200 with .67) It should not seem to tall of gears if you have the lockup and shifting points setup correctly.

Your rearend gears are perfect and with 26" tires your 75mph should be around 2300-2400 rpm.

Chuck

what Chuck said about the painless lock-up was my thoughts also at 140 the "load" pushing that not so areodynamic body down the road might be enough to unlock the converter :D

I had such a good experience with the 700 in the past I have actually thought quite a few times about [I can't belive I'm admitting this] installing one in my '65.

I had such a good experience with the 700 in the past I have actually thought quite a few times about [I can't belive I'm admitting this] installing one in my '65.

I would really look into a 200r4 over a 700. 200r4 are stronger, more heavy duty aftermarket parts, have a taller overdrive gear, with how light the vettes are we don't need the lower 1st gear, and gears are more even spread out.

Larry,

If you doing 140 and it feels like it's shift down to a passing gear then either the tv cable is not adjust right (see here for more info: http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php) or something with your painless lockup kit is wrong as maybe it's unlocking the converter. I see they use the vacuum sensor to lock up the torque converter, maybe you need to hard wiring. If you hard wiring it make sure you have a solid converter and tranny built to hold it. I have my 200r4 hard wiring (it locks up the convertor as soon as it goes into 4th). If you have alot of hp and heavy car, it will put alot more stress on the convertor & tranny. I have a precision billet converter and all billet internal parts in the tranny with true roller bearings so it should hold up. We have the advantage of less wieght than most cars.

The 700 has a low first gear 3.06 and overdrive only being .70 (lower then the 200 with .67) It should not seem to tall of gears if you have the lockup and shifting points setup correctly.

Your rearend gears are perfect and with 26" tires your 75mph should be around 2300-2400 rpm.

Chuck

Well I am in the process write now of installing a temporary signal light wired parallel with the lock up solenoid to determine if that's whats opening up at high speed

I also have a problem with the lock up .Entrance to my neighbor hood is only 25 mph and more or less you coast thru this area after coming down a slight hill and a speed of about 35 mph

I figure the lock up should open on such a low speed?

if I do nothing the car will lug along

If I tap the brakes it will open and then re-engage again

in order to ride along at 25 mph I have to actually have to put the car into 3rd or 2nd
I am going to see if I can spend a few hour at the shop with the trans guy to figure this out.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Did you ever get so fed up with something, that you just want to get it out of your life and move onto something that's guaranteed to work 100% correct no questions asked? That's the point I am at now.And belive me I can think of 100 better things to do with my time and money then put a stick in this car

I also have to contact Bowtieoverdrives again, When I purchased my kit for the tri power set I explained several times its for the new big block set up , I was re-assured several times they have the proper kit.

Well I got the kit and after it was installed and on the car, and we had problem with the throttle linkage interfering with the tv cable. I figured away to connect the rods in a different way not to interfere with tv cable.

And I have been adjusting away on this with the pressure gage as they recommend.

Now I am just thinking that just because I have the linkage working.I most likely have a cable that too short as I would think the carbs may be located in a different location on a small block manifold as compared to a Big block manifold. So I will call them tomorrow and gather some more fact.

Larry,

Is your 700 stock?

What converter do you have and does it have anti-ballon plate?

From you hompage I see you have a 454 LS6 so I am assume it is putting out a few ponies and torque. If you have a stock 700 I didn't think the tranny will hold up for long with full throttle runs with the converter locked up. I did not see anything on your webpage about the tranny besides the tranny cooler. If you have beefed up the tranny it should hold the locked up converter in 4th gear for a couple of years if you run full throttle runs frequently.

My thought for the 200 were that I just want the lockup in 4th. If I am crusing about 40-45 with light throttle it will be in fourth gear and lockup, 3/4 throttle to full throttle it will shift to 4th around 105mph and will be locked up but my tranny has the best of everthing and should hold up to 1200hp.

With you painless setup, it is possible to be in 3rd gear at 25mph and with the right vacum, will lockup the converter. From you comments I think you would be happier with the lockup hardwired to a toggle switch. This way you can lock up the converter when you are cruising on the highway when needing the gas mileage and leaving it unlocked when driving around town. The tv cable will take care of the shifting point.

Just to give you an idea what the computer looks at when figuring out the lockup:

You have your constant table:
Which you input

1.the lockup mph in 3rd
2.the unlockup mph in 3rd (normal 5mph lower)
3. lockup mph in 4th
4. unlockup mph in 4th (again 5 mph lower) info taken from the VSS sensor

you have lockup vs throttle Position table

Which show a value of throttle to unlock the converter in 3rd or 4th

and lockup VS Load table

which refers the rpm, map sensor (vacum or boost), and throttle position.

Shifting points are handled by the tv cable and the wieghts on the governor.

Chuck

Shudof cudof woodof

John McGraw suggested I use that trans and I passed on it as I wanted a simple NON computer controlled car. Who knew it would be so complecated
with the 700R4

Well I installed a bypass switch and my light ready for a quick trip to see whats happening, It just drizzled so the roads are slick and I am not going to chance a speed run.

I am putting all of my notes and installations manuals together in a binder,tomorow I will call bowtie ask about cable lenght

Then the trans place to set up an appointment to meet with the owner of the shop and try to figure this out.

Bowtieover drives kinda led me to belive I may have destroyed the trans by having it behind 500ft lbs of torque improperly adjusted,

Thanks again I will let every one know what I find out.

There is a tranny place in the town I live in called Rockland standard gear http://www.rsgear.com/ and I am told they carry tremic and richmond I will stop byt there to see what they have to say

Did you ever get so fed up with something, that you just want to get it out of your life and move onto something that's guaranteed to work 100% correct no questions asked?

My 1st wife!!!

Larry,

Thanks for asking. Things are going well. We're ready for the body shop and I'm waiting on them to make room for it. As soon as the body is delivered we'll start on the exhaust system. As John found, nobody has a mandrel pipe bender around these parts so it'll have to be custom built. I'm looking at about 6 months in the body shop, so things will slow way down for a while. That's a good thing though...I need to replenish the bank account.

Good luck on your tranny problems.

Wes

Wes

how about filling us in on some of the particulars

As for the trans I spoke to the tranny builder he said no problem bring it in on Tuesday and we will fine tune it. (My arrogance felt if I cant figure it out no one can)

Spoke to bowtieoverdrives and they feel it might be a problem with the trans itself.

I will let you know after Tuesday, Every one I have dealt with on the transmission says a properly working 700R4 is an excellent trans i just have to get it fine tuned.

Larry,

Still curious if the 700 is stock? if not what have you done to beef it up?

Thanks
Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom