Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rivet bumps on hood of car

I got to wondering how you fit into the area to work. Did you make a raised platform? Are you shorter then 4"11"? Did you also take both the bar and bonding strip out same time?

Vito
I jacked the front of the car up about 2 feet off the floor then removed the headlights - grills - bumper - center bumper support - side marker lights. Did not remove the radiator. Next remove the left and right brackets attaching the outer ends of the support bar to the wheel well. Then reach in through the grill openings to remove both the support bar and the bonding strip at the same time.

DSC03209_1.jpg
[/IMG]

Bumps showing up on the hoods of early '68-'73 C3 Corvettes...

This is a common problem with these early C3s. It's caused by corrosion of the rivets under the hood, especially with cars that are parked and left outside year-round all the time. Garaged and properly stored Corvettes rarely have this problem. This issue can be fixed, but it takes time & money, like everything else!

;shrug

Just a suggestion, one made to me by 6880 Mike on another forum that worked great. Rather than spend the time it will take heating and prying in an effort to remove the bonding strip, leave it in place. I cut the rivet heads off, dropped the header bar and then used a dremel to grind out the remainder of the rivets. Grinding about a dime size hole let the rivet heads drop right out of the bonding strip. I then just bonded the header bar back to the underside of the bonding strip. I might add that I used West System Six10 to bond the header bar. It's about $20 bucks a tube, is both compounds in a single tube that mix together when dispensed, and with minor "convincing" can be used with a standard caulk gun. It's a great epoxy adhesive, is a bunch cheaper than some of the other products, and you don't have to lay out the money for a gun that costs more than the adhesive.

Rivet bump update

Sand Blasted Support Bar and End Mounting Brackets
DSC03308_1.jpg

Freshly Sanded Mounting Surface
DSC03348_1.jpg

Epoxy Primed Support Beam and Cleaned up Bonding Strip
DSC03341_1.jpg

Applying Bonding Agent
DSC03343_1.jpg

Bonding Strip Clamped to Support Bar
DSC03345_1.jpg

Bonded in Place
DSC03377_1.jpg

DSC03385_1.jpg

Nice job, Tom! :cool!:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom