Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rocker Channels rusted out!

B

Big Fish

Okay, so I just finished getting the frame 100% mechanically ready for the body, even started it up after a total rebuild. Now I'm poking around under the body and find the rocker channels are rusted out. Holes the size of baseballs around #2, and #3 body mount holes. Interested in hearing from anyone having same experience what the best way to repair is? I have located channel sleeves, front insert, and rear insert, but not sure what is required to replace these parts? Don't know if I can take too many more surprises with this project! Help please?

ROCKER CHANNELS RUSTED OUT!

HI THERE..

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I JUST REPAINTED MY FRAME BUT I KNEW WHEN I BOUGHT MY CAR THAT TEH ROCKER CHANNELS WERE PARTLY GONE!!! AND I MEEN LIKE DISAPEARED.

THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO GET THE COMPLETE CAGE OUT FROM THE BODY TO CHECK IF THERE IS MORE SURPRICES AND GET A GOOD WELDER AND REPAINT THE WHOLE THING AFTER IT IS WELDED.

ACTUALLY I AM GOING TO GET A GOOD ALUMINUM WELDER AND REPLACE THE STEEL CAGE WITH A ALUMINUM REPLICA!

GOOD LUCK

RYAN

You know, replacing the channels may not be as bad as I first thought. I've been swapping some messages with a few very helpful people at www.corvetteforum.com and looks like this is a fairly common problem. Mine don't look nearly as bad as one of the guy's pictures I saw, but this is all repairable. Don't know if I would attempt to build a aluminum bird cage, even though it seems like a good idea to get rid of some weight, I think the body would have to be nearly destroyed to remove it. I am very interested in how your project will turn out, and I wish only the best for you. Please take some photos as you go and let me know how you are doing.

You mean this part of the car?

innerfrm2.jpg

No worries! We have done two of these now, and the truth is if you have rust in one spot, there is more you can't see.

There are two main ways to do this. Either, get a donor car to section and replace the entire thing, or weld in the insert sleeves.

It is possible to raise the body off the frame just enough to gain underside access. What many people do is just light blast and chemical treat the rust that is there, then they get that rocker insert you have seen and tack/spot weld that up in the channel. Go back and apply a liberal amount of rust preventative paint and drop it back on the frame.

If you look on the trailer here in the attached photo. YOu will see all the needed elements to put it back together. On this one we obtained a complete donor bird cage, had it blased and powder coated black, then glued and riveted it back on the old body.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom