Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rocker Panels

Corvette
1981 Dark Blue Metallic, 2003 AE coupe
Quick question for the historians. Were the OEM rocker panels on the L81's black or silver? Did it vary dependent on the factory color? I've seen both in pictures on the Registry and was wondering what was original. Apparently my car was painted at some time in the recent past and the rockers are black. I'm still determining my car's pedigree. :D BTW, I just changed out my crossover hood release cable and thanks to all the great info/tips here on the CAC, my labor of love repair was successful. (those *#@/#*cotter pins are the size of nose hairs). ;LOL

The original color of the rocker panels is Black a lot of folks have used fine steel wool or paint remover to get the shined effect. The panels are aluminum, held on by 4 or 5 screws.

I painted the insert RedWhite & Blue, but after the Brutual remarks from "The POSSE" I repainted the inserts BLACK ;LOL I'll see if I can find a photo and post it here ;)

Bud

attachment.php

Thanks Bud. I'm still kind of struggling with the whole "original" thing. I'm kind of a purist at heart, but after all, it is MY car. I will probably keep it forever, or until I pass it on to my son. He was born in '81, and if I can never affford one from the year I was born, at least he will have one. This car has so much documentation though, it makes you wonder what it might be worth someday. I probably know more about this car than some parents do about children they are about to adopt. Good luck with the move! :w

Dang Bud.... that was pretty bold of you to paint mod ole Rare81 like that. I'm surprised the Posse didn't bust you for the (non stock) louvers too. What's up with that? You guys move yet? Btw.... I thought the red-white-blue looked pretty good.

....... nut

This isn't NCRS compatible, but for those who are bored of continually painting those panels to cover chips, they can be anodised black. I've had mine down for 3 years & they still look as good as the day they were done (apart from a scratch where a stupid jack collapsed under it). When they're anodised black & fitted with st/st screws they look stonking :)

cheers

Hey Bud,
Attached are the pics that YOU WANT TO FORGET..;LOL :beer
Oh by the way YOUR RAINBOW colored flag is still in La Grange..:D :w

Glad you made it to Texas safely and without to many surprises..:crazy

Howie...
BRUTAL - JUST BRUTAL !

Rare81 said:
The original color of the rocker panels is Black a lot of folks have used fine steel wool or paint remover to get the shined effect. The panels are aluminum, held on by 4 or 5 screws.

I painted the insert RedWhite & Blue, but after the Brutual remarks from "The POSSE" I repainted the inserts BLACK ;LOL I'll see if I can find a photo and post it here ;)

Bud

attachment.php

I went against the grain and painted mine a metalic black, which I cleared when I painted my car. It looks good now, but it has only been about 6 weeks. I struggled with the whole thing about keeping the car original, but decided as you are thinking, hey it's my car, I'll do it the way I want. Hot Rod Sparkle Blue!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom