Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

roller rockers done, some thanks, random wanderings, and a couple of arghs

Corvette
1986 Bright Red Coupe
First off, many thanks to Vigman ;worship who offered a number of useful tidbits during this installation.

Ok. Roller rockers are in. I wasn't totally happy with my eyeballing 90-degree intervals on the harmonic balancer so Vigman walked me through the engine-running lash adjustment. I mustn't have been very far off with my 90-degree measurements because I really didn't hear any clicking when I started the car, though I loosened a bunch and retightened them to make sure they weren't too tight. I was initially confused by clicks that are apparently coming from the fuel injectors (if I touch each injector, I can feel a tap synchronous with the click). All the arms are centered and should be loose enough to move but tight enough to not let the pushrod tap. Argh #1. The rocker arms are smaller in the center than the stock ones, and the nut they supplied was bigger than the stock one. However, the correct socket was TOO LARGE to fit into the space where the nut is. I've got a set of Craftsman tools, not Snap-on but not junk - they're not unduly thick-walled. So. The stock bolts fit anyway, and the smaller socket barely clears the passage. When the engine was running, it'd occasionally grab the wrench out of my hands but it worked.

Point of note - with a decent gasket, apparently the drip tabs DO clear these arms. However, I got around the problem by getting a set of Edelbrock chromed covers and installing them... sort of.

Argh #2. Apparently what I thought was a scratch in the passenger-side cover is actually a crack. This is why I was leaking oil onto the intake manifold... as I tighten down the cover, it cracks more. Great. OK, let's do the driver's side then.

Argh #3. My torque wrench is apparently *very* hard to use at lower values (such as the 120 INCH-lbs needed for the cover bolts). I miss the indicator and SNAP... break a bolt. Fortunately, they come out of the heads easily. Off to the parts store. They don't have identical bolts, but they do have chrome tall bolts and tabs (street-rod-ish). Ok, grab them and... hey.. this is a set of Edelbrock valve covers with all the breather holes and grommets for PCV and all. $40. Not bad. Buy them, get the driver's side installed (using the handle-bolts). It goes in easier than the stock one anyway.

Argh #4. Onward to the passenger side. Uh oh. Something's missing - like the oil cap hole! And this is the side with the cracked cover. It'll just have to stay cracked for now, I guess, but I have mismatched valve covers for the time being... I think Edelbrock makes what I need, I just need to find it.

Anyway, they're done.
[RICHR]

Which ones did you put in? I have a set of Comp Cams 1.52/1 that I have not installed yet. Was waiting to hear how you came out.... Thanks...

This is a set of split-ratio CAT (Cal Auto Transpeed) steel (forged, I think) rockers. I did 1.52 exhaust, 1.6 intake. I had to buy two sets, so I still have another split-ratio set here if anyone is interested.
[RICHR]

I bought a straight set of 1.52's....wonder what the difference would be to split?

How much you asking? feel free to email me if you like...Thanks

Rich,

How do they "feel?"

I'll post here in case anyone else has any interest as well.

I was told to do a split ratio because it's almost like putting in a mildly more aggressive cam. Apparently the 1.52's keep the low-end torque, while a full swap to 1.6's gives up to 25 HP - at the top end only (and sacrificing some low-end torque). A split ratio gives a little high-end HP and keeps the low-end torque and supposedly spreads the HP a bit more on the high end.

There's some arguement over whether the higher ratio should go on the intakes or exhaust; I did a non-scientific survey of the old posts on this board and came up with putting them on the intake.

I am hoping to get $100, shipped, for the full split set. It includes 8 1.52 arms, 8 1.6 arms, 16 pivot balls, and some large number of nuts (I think 48, for some reason - there were extras).

[RICHR]

Edmond, by "feel" you mean butt dyno? To be honest, I haven't had a chance to take the car out yet. I finished up around 5 pm today (hooked the afternoon from work) and by the time I was done my shower the fam was home and it was time for dinner. Hopefully I'll go out tonight to better check for leaks and such.
[RICHR]

Since you've gained some low end torque and some high end horsepower, you should feel a little nudge in the butt right?

I'm interested to see if these roller rockers are all they're hyped up to be.

I like this site because I get real world feedback instead of feedback from the companies that try to sell the product.

Just got back from a run. My first overall impression is that the engine is quieter and smoother. How much of that is due to the roller rocker arms and how much is due to things just being old and needing replacement, I don't know. However, it's definitely smoother. It also revs easier and quicker - my rev-matching on downshifts are MUCH smoother (there used to be a bit of a hesitation when lightly tapping the throttle to rev-match; it's not completely gone but it's much lessened). I did two runs to about 5k RPM and I don't think the engine slacked off as much but that might also be wishful thinking.

More power? I honestly can't tell. I need to hit the drag strip again or see why my GTech won't work (probably bad cig lighter). I also recently put in an adjustable fuel regulator (my pressure was way low) and I'm still tuning that in.

I realize this isn't a complete help, but it's the best I can do for now.
[RICHR]

Aren't one of the claims of the roller rockers that there would be less friction? Less friction would equal a smoother and more efficient engine right?

Let us know after you run with the G-Tech!

Rollers

I like roller lifter's and rocker's if for no other reason the wear is almost non existant.When a flat tappett wears real bad for whatever reason it leave's behind alot of metal in the oil. Just my 2 cents

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom