Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rotomaster parts/replacement

calcisco

Corvette
1989 Callaway
Does anyone know where to source housings, hard parts (turbine, compressor, shaft) and soft parts (seals) for the Rotomaster RM26AS063A18 series turbos? The one I'm looking at is SN 405927. How about a reliable rebuilder? What about other-brand replacements?
My fairly long search has been discouraging. Rotomaster was bought by IPD was bought by Garrett was bought by Honeywell. They have all walked away from the units. So has Turbonetics. I have three to rebuild!;help
moz-screenshot.jpg

Does anyone know where to source housings, hard parts (turbine, compressor, shaft) and soft parts (seals) for the Rotomaster RM26AS063A18 series turbos? The one I'm looking at is SN 405927. How about a reliable rebuilder? What about other-brand replacements?
My fairly long search has been discouraging. Rotomaster was bought by IPD was bought by Garrett was bought by Honeywell. They have all walked away from the units. So has Turbonetics. I have three to rebuild!;help
moz-screenshot.jpg

( Chris can you move this to the Corvette section please )

I think Callaway still does the rebuild for these turbo's
did you contact them ??

otherwise I can give you an address somewhere in TX where some of the Rotomaster for VW are rebuilt.

please mail me the picture you tried to attach, I will post it for you

Callaway Rotomaster support

Well, I did contact Callaway and I have to conclude that their support for the Rotomaster turbos is very hard to discern. In 6 calls to Old Lyme over several days I got through Mike's (Parts Director) answering machine twice, and only then by the assistance of the very kind receptionist. Remember, my car is in the air on the lift.

Mike had to consult with his Chief Engineer, who was "in California working on the new car and hard to reach." Then he had to consult with the Managing Director at Old Lyme, who "agreed to direct you to another company that should be able to address your problem more quickly." The referral was to Turbonetics, who absolutely refuse to even acknowledge that they bought part of the old Rotomaster line from Garrett, when it was bought by Honeywell.

On the other hand, I did get the chance over the week to speak briefly with Pete, Reeves' son in California, who answers his phone and is a really nice enthusiast. He said he would refer the problem to Mike, "because it has to be taken care of in Old Lyme." Go figure.

you can try this

(all are quotes from VW forum )
I had my rotomaster turbo rebuilt by Vargas turbo in CA

We have this guy in NAshville. Jeff and he's really great to work with. Been in business a long time:
http://www.turboauto.biz

got mine done at majestic turbo in waco tx.runs anywhere from $400 up depending on whats wrong with it. this is for the rotomaster turbo you have
http://www.majesticturbo.com/

good luck :upthumbs

I spoke with the Callaway shop in Old Lyme, CT about a month ago about the availability of turbo seals and other replacement parts for Rotomaster turbos. They said they have/had most in stock or otherwise available.:cool

I know the housings are not available new from Old Lyme, but other turbo shops may still have them ;shrug

Do you have a specific trouble with your turbos, or are you planning for a rainy day?

Rotomaster rebuild

Wow! What a great resource you folks are! I've begun a follow-up with Vargas Turbo, which is just about around the corner from me. Other leads are Blalock Turbochargers in Baxter Springs, KS and Turbocharger Engineering in CA. By leads I mean someone who is aware of the situation and is willing to look at the units and if necessary to assemble impeller/compressor wheels off the shelf to fit.

Yes if you have a new or rebuilt unit and aren't going to use it, you're sitting on an easy $1k on E-Bay. It's like the situation with rebuilding Dymags.

To add some interest, yes I have an immediate need. At 180k miles my turbos were holding their own with some occasional very light smoke when cold. (One original unit and one replaced at +- 45k.) Then I recently decided to run through a fairly deep puddle in a heavy rain here in Northern CA. (Run -- not coast.) Of course it stalled and on restart the oil pressure dropped from the normal 18 lbs at idle to 4. After immediate shut down and inspection, the crankcase was full of H20. After an oil change pressure returned to normal but smoke on start-up brought a suggestion for a rebuild from my very fine mechanic. Then the trouble started ...

The mechanic who I unreservedly recommend is Glen at Common's Auto Parts, [SIZE=-1]915 Airport Blvd., S San Francisco, CA 94080, (650) 583-1242.

[/SIZE]All the best to you intrepid diehards!
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

If you need me to host the pictures for you email them to SurfnSun1@aol.com

You have to host them online, not from your computer. Thats why they aren't showing up.

Yes if you have a new or rebuilt unit and aren't going to use it, you're sitting on an easy $1k on E-Bay.

To add some interest, yes I have an immediate need. At 180k miles my turbos were holding their own

180,000 miles, AWESOME!!!!!!! :upthumbs :beer

1k for turbos, if you find any, let me know - I'll buy them :w

Rotomaster rebuild

Well thanks. That's 18 years of daily driving, 4 TH400HDs, 3 overdrives, 4 right side head gaskets, 3 H2O pumps, 3 radiators, 2 starters, 2 A/C compressors, 2 condensers, 2 AIR pumps, 2 CAT rebuilds, 2 instrument clusters, stainless replacement of blown steel headers; numerous sensors, u-joints, Dymag rebuilds and countless alternators and batteries. 2 windshields, a top and seats (with pumps). Plus synthetic 15W-50 every 3k miles. Not cheap. :ugh

Well thanks. That's 18 years of daily driving..............

Not cheap. :ugh

Well, as long as the Smile per mile is bigger than the costs per mile

keep driving it :upthumbs

what number do you have ? and please mail me some pictures, I will cover the license plate for privacy and post them overhere,

we (esspecially me) are picture whores :w :D

Rotomaster Rebuild

Thanks to all for your advice. It is now 90 days later and the car is back in service. We took the opportunity while it was down to re-stuff the catalytic converters, which, on my vehicle, are from a 1988 Porsche 928. Can you believe that cheesy factory hanger at the differential?
The turbos were skillfully rebuilt by Mickey at Blalock in Baxter Springs, KS. Their website is extensive and can be easily Googled. Since original Rotomaster hard and soft parts have been unavailable for longer than a decade, Mickey selected parts as required "off the shelf". Blalock maintains a source in China. The cost was $850 per turbo plus shipping.
In any event, boost is up, oil pressure is up, and thrust is up! The engine reads 32 lbs warm on a direct gauge. Much better.

Rotomaster Rebuild

Yes. As one potential rebuilder said, "This is not rocket science." My understanding is that the Rotomaster was a pretty generic 2" unit. No compound or variable vanes or oddball seals. But the rebuilder has to want to do the job, and have a large selection of parts on the shelf. The housings are of course NOT available. And, the left hand and right hand housings for a Callaway are both unique. They are specific to the application, and, are different! The right, or passenger side, because it has a 4 bolt flange, is particularly difficult. If your castings are cracked, as mine are starting to do, they will need to be MIG welded or otherwise repaired. The internal support if cracked or broken, has to be brazed. It isn't a pleasant situation, but anything is possible with enough time and money. Get a good rebuilder and stock up on patience as well. Best of luck to you. :)

When I called Rotomaster about it they said a lot of the bearings were interchangeable and the guy thought something could be put together if need be. I would say turbine housings are the REAL issue. It wouldn't bother me a bit to upgrade compressor housings on my next pair :D

When I called Rotomaster about it they said a lot of the bearings were interchangeable and the guy thought something could be put together if need be. I would say turbine housings are the REAL issue. It wouldn't bother me a bit to upgrade compressor housings on my next pair :D

"NEXT"????:ugh

FIND A GOOD ONE!:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom