Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rotor Runout/New Rotors

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
Quick question regarding Rotor Runout. My front right original rotor was at .009'' and my front left was at .005''. I put new rotors on with new pads but I'm wondering now that I removed the old original rotors, how do you use the dial indicator with the new rotors installed? I'm guessing you use a couple of lug nuts to seat the rotor to the spindle and then take a measurement? If my new rotors are out of spec as well then what do I do? Take them to a shop to be machined? I will get to the rears tomorrow or Sunday. New stock rotors are from VB&P.

First, make sure your wheel bearings are in good condition and properly adjusted. That way you don't confuse rotor run out with loose wheel bearings.

Then, put on three nuts. Tighten them to 25 ft/lbs or so then set-up your indicator.

First, make sure your wheel bearings are in good condition and properly adjusted. That way you don't confuse rotor run out with loose wheel bearings.

Then, put on three nuts. Tighten them to 25 ft/lbs or so then set-up your indicator.

I am under the impression now that you use shims in order to correct rotor runout with the new rotors. Any idea where I can get them?

Machining the rotor by itself is futile. An on-car lathe is the best solution.

Yea, I understand that now. I'm understanding that shims can be used. Need to know where to get them. Also, my left rear retractor spring is broke for the parking brake shoes. Is there an easy way to rotate the pin for the spring retainer to remove parking brake shoes?

The new rotors are not going to be zero since they were not machined as a unit with the hubs and spindles. Not to worry, most people replacing vette rotors for the past 40 years never even knew about runout let alone how to check and correct it.

As Hib mentioned, be sure the bearings are correctly adjusted. I have my own method which is pretty much like you can find anywhere.

Then be sure there are no burrs on the hubs or spindles. I tap the hubs and spindles so I can bolt the rotors on, I like it a lot better then lug nuts or rivets. You can use lug nuts though. Use all 5 when you do.

Be sure your indicator is rock solid,there can be no movement in it otherwise you're going to waste your time.

Slowly rotate the rotor when checking. Do not jerk it around or you'll get a false reading.

When you know the true runout you can either shim or turn them.
The fronts can be turned on a brake lathe if the rotor is bolted on tight and the operator only removes a few thousands. The lathe will pickup the races and run true. The rears are different, an on the car lathe is one way, removing and machining the spindle/rotor assembly is another, I shim them and get them to under 002" bolted on,without removing material. I've done a LOT of them like this over the years and that's what works best for me. I make up my own shims from SS shim stock. About $80 for shims and $80 for a punch set from MSC. If you're only doing a set of rotors check your hardware store for shim stock. You want 002,004,006,etc increments. Mostly 002 -006 sizes should work. You can find my whole thread on this on digitalcorvettes as well. It has a lot of pictures.

The new rotors are not going to be zero since they were not machined as a unit with the hubs and spindles. Not to worry, most people replacing vette rotors for the past 40 years never even knew about runout let alone how to check and correct it.

As Hib mentioned, be sure the bearings are correctly adjusted. I have my own method which is pretty much like you can find anywhere.

Then be sure there are no burrs on the hubs or spindles. I tap the hubs and spindles so I can bolt the rotors on, I like it a lot better then lug nuts or rivets. You can use lug nuts though. Use all 5 when you do.

Be sure your indicator is rock solid,there can be no movement in it otherwise you're going to waste your time.

Slowly rotate the rotor when checking. Do not jerk it around or you'll get a false reading.

When you know the true runout you can either shim or turn them.
The fronts can be turned on a brake lathe if the rotor is bolted on tight and the operator only removes a few thousands. The lathe will pickup the races and run true. The rears are different, an on the car lathe is one way, removing and machining the spindle/rotor assembly is another, I shim them and get them to under 002" bolted on,without removing material. I've done a LOT of them like this over the years and that's what works best for me. I make up my own shims from SS shim stock. About $80 for shims and $80 for a punch set from MSC. If you're only doing a set of rotors check your hardware store for shim stock. You want 002,004,006,etc increments. Mostly 002 -006 sizes should work. You can find my whole thread on this on digitalcorvettes as well. It has a lot of pictures.

Yep, read it last night. Great read. But wish you had one for parking brake shoes....LOL. I hear you can make a shim using a can but I should check some auto stores like, NAPA or AutoZone for some shim stock??? What does the shim look like? I really have no idea....:confused

Shim stock is just flat sheet of SS,brass,plastic comes in various sizes. The problem using a can is it is only one size. Getting the runout down under 002 requires the correct usage of an indicator and the correct shim sizing. It's not a one size fits all. I've heard for years some vendors telling people to just index the rotor, this is about as accurate as just bolting on the rotors and calling them done. You also loose the PB adjusting hole location, I think it's just bad advice but you have to make up your own mind.

I show the parking brakes on my T/A thread. Not much to them other then the fact if the anchor pin that is enclosed is bad you have to pull it all apart and that will require new bearings at that point.

Far as I'm concerned, if you've got to shim them, brass or plastic won't work well because they're too soft. Stainless or other harder metal will work better.

With my 71, when I change rotors, obviously, I drilled the rivets out. After that, the only way I achieved minimal run out was to take the axles out of the T-arms, press out the studs and "true" them in a lathe. Then is was able to achieve minimal run out. In the rear, the problem is when the rotors were new, friction faces were machined with the rotor and axle as a unit. That got GM out of having to have the rotor and axle mounting flanges perpindicular to the axle CL.

With the fronts, if you've gotta turn 'em, I'd put the new rotors on the hubs then have the hubs and rotors machined as units.

This is what I did :)

IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_4793.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

Greetings Peter

Far as I'm concerned, if you've got to shim them, brass or plastic won't work well because they're too soft. Stainless or other harder metal will work better.

With my 71, when I change rotors, obviously, I drilled the rivets out. After that, the only way I achieved minimal run out was to take the axles out of the T-arms, press out the studs and "true" them in a lathe. Then is was able to achieve minimal run out. In the rear, the problem is when the rotors were new, friction faces were machined with the rotor and axle as a unit. That got GM out of having to have the rotor and axle mounting flanges perpindicular to the axle CL.

With the fronts, if you've gotta turn 'em, I'd put the new rotors on the hubs then have the hubs and rotors machined as units.

I Agree!! :thumb
:beer

Finally got the parking brake shoes off. Right rear actuating lever rusted and binding. Left rear upper retractor spring broke. Time to order more parts. Is there an easy way to install the parking brake shoes. Removing them was tough. I can't imagine them being any easier going back on!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom