Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rough Starting 1988 Coupe

M

Mark_Storts

My '88 Vett has difficult starting. Funny thing is that if I leave the car sit for a day or two and then go to start it, it fires right up. On a daily basis though, it has a hard time starting. Once it does start, I get a strong gas odor even though I don't pump it. Also, the car seems to "knock" and "ping" if I accelerate quickly--almost like I have bad gas, but I put in the highest octane available.

Lastly, I seem to be having an electrical problem. Occassionaly, when I apply the brakes the radio, dash lights, etc. cut out momentarily. Plus, the inside temperate guage and A/C, Fan button lights don't always display. Seems like they only come on once the car has been running for 15 minutes.

Any suggestions?

hard strating?

Mark,
maybe EGR valve?
also check you fuel evap can, possible that it is clogged.
as for the electrical I'm sure that there is some here that can help you on that subject.
tom

Sounds Like a Computer Problem or Sensor Problem (My Mechanic told me this) I have the same problem going on

Given I have no Cats I still will get a Exhaust/Gas smell problem I guess but my car runs like CRAP until the temp for the OIL and COOLANT are off ( LO ) and hit a number I was told Temp sensor or EGR or even computer wasnt releasing the Choke I dunno we'll see this week I guess :mad

A hard start problem with the odor of gasoline sometimes points towards leaking injectors.

Run the fuel pressure tests listed in the factory service manaul.

Is the check engine light on? Or does it come on and go off?

Rough Starting

I have the same problem with my 1991. Last week I had a half a tank of gas left and I poured in 2 cans of fuel injector cleaner (Gumout brand) and it seemed like the problem was resolved for a few days. However, now it seems like it is back after filling the tank again? I think I'll check the EGR valve next.

FYI, My "Service Engine" light does come on and off almost on a weekly basis. But then again, the same "Service Engine" light has been coming on and off in my Chev Suburban also for more than a year and a half, but it seems to be running fine also?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom