Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Royal Purple Synchromax

ArizonaC5

Corvette
2000 C5 Convertible
C5 6 Speed
i recently replaced my transmission oil with Royal Purple Synchromax, as suggested by several members. I immediately noticed a transmission "howl" primarily at highway speeds.

i am a new owner and have almost no experience with this car's mechanics. Is this normal, serious or maybe just coincidental?

C5 6 Speed
i recently replaced my transmission oil with Royal Purple Synchromax, as suggested by several members. I immediately noticed a transmission "howl" primarily at highway speeds.

i am a new owner and have almost no experience with this car's mechanics. Is this normal, serious or maybe just coincidental?

I doubt it is a coincidence if it happened right after the fluid change, there should be no howl and it could be serious. The only way to know for sure is to change it out. I know Redline ATF D4 works good in these transmissions. Good luck with it.

C5 6 Speed

If you immediately noticed a "howl", I'd change the lube, again.

I'd use either Gibbs Driven STF which is blended for T56es and T6060s.

Get that Sh*t out of there Pronto! :thumb
It's too thick and won't lubricate caged bearings properly!~!!:thumb

I learned the hard way!:hb

In less than 25,000 miles it ate up...........
Main Output Shaft
5-6 Driven Gear
5th Speed Gear
5th Speed Gear Bearing
5th Gear Friction Cone
5th Gear Blocking Ring
6th Speed Gear
6th speed Gear Bearing
6th Gear Friction Cone
6th Gear Blocking Ring
5-6 Synchronizer Hub Assembly
Reverse Gear
Reverse Gear Bearing
Reverse Gear Synchronizer Assembly
Reverse Gear Blocking Ring

I went back with Redline ATF 4

It's been over 50,000 miles since and my transmission is still working flawlessly!:thumb

Just an observation from the peanut gallery :)D) , but I think you'd better change that stuff out right away. You have three of our best technicians telling you it's bad stuff. I betting it's not a good outcome if you leave it. :thumb

I did a little research...

I have never used Royal Purple products nor am I a fan of them, but I am surprised that the results of putting "Synchromax" in a T56 were so negative so quickly because that's what the wizards at Royal Purple recommend for manual tranmissions which specify ATF as factory fill or refill.

In any event, I'd drain the stuff out and try Gibbs Driven STF if the duty cycle is normal driving, aggresive street driving or occasional track use.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom