Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rubber Bushings

M

mothersworry

Where can I get a complete set of rubber suspension bushings for a 92 corvette? I am currently in the S class in autox and poly's will put me in SP.

Thats kinda silly. Is there any performance gains from a poly bushing?

Silly or not, polyurethane parts are not legal in most stock classes. Unfortunately, most of the control arm bushings are not available separately and never have been. The only way to change stock rubber bushings in the front is to buy new arms. It is possible that, at this point in time, front control arms are discontinued.

SCCA and other autoX sanctioning bodies which require stock rubber bushings in stock classes are really going to have a problem with their C4 racers because of the fact that GM never made bushings available for service replacement.

Another issue which few autoXers are aware is that the Z51 control front lower arms which have stiffer bushings, have never been available at all. They were only installed at the factory. All replcement arms were base arms. This means, even if you can get a replacement control arm with new bushings, the bushing will be the softer FE1 part rather than the stiffer Z51 part.

My advice for autoXers required to run stock bushings is to find NOS arms and buy 'em. Even better would be low-mileage, well-preserved arms off a wrecked car with Z51. If you find them, they're like gold.

You are correct the SCCA is having alot of problems wih this issue. I spoke to the Solo 2 technical manager and he stated there are alot of cars with the same issue. He stated the only way to stay in the stock class is to buy NOS parts or find good used parts. He also stated the stock class is going to get more strict and that the stock class will shortly be the showroom class and zero changes will be allowed. The SCCA manager sited an example of a change to the rules they regreted ie new braided brake lines allowed on newer than 92 cars. He sayed that the rules would not be changed to accomodate the bushing issue. Looks like I either buy used or change to BSP.

According to GMpartsdirect.com, you can still get new upper and lower control arms - PN 10098153 (LL) 10258063 (LU) 10098154 (RL) 10098154 (RU). At least that's what their database says. However, you do NOT want to know their cost...

Have you called Vette Brakes and Products? They have OEM or OEM-style rubber bushings for about every generation of vette except C4 listed in their catalog. Perhaps they know of a source, or could tell you if an older model's parts might fit.
[RICHR]

Thanks for the info. I am actually going to head over the VBP tomorrow to talk to them about the issue. I will let you know what they say

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom