Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rubber/Poly

dshanks

Corvette
1971 4spd coupe - Charcoal Gray
Im in the middle of pulling my engine, hopefully to replace with a new one. Last night I pulled the a/c system, rad/core sup.
You know how it goes, you start taking things off, and you notice all kinds of additional issues that you hadn't planned on replacing. In my case, my budget is near spent on engine junk, anyway...

I noticed that almost all of the bushings and ball joints are original (71), most are trash. It needs to be done now, while its apart and accessible.
My question is, I know that poly is prefered, but at this point, I'm on a "superbudget". I noticed that I can get replacements at oreilly for WAY cheaper than buying rubber ones from yearone, ecklers etc.-much less poly...

I drive the car far less than 1000 miles per year, I dont race, and im very easy on the car. Will these cheaper rubber parts be sufficient? Are there certain bushings/parts that I should replace with poly for performance reasons, then settle for rubber for the rest?
(ex: use poly for this, this, and this. Use rubber for these cause it doesnt really matter...
or, rubber is preferred for these and these, because...)

Any help would be appreciated.

Derrick

I use rubber on the control arms and suspension parts. I have only used poly on engine and tranny mounts. Even there I could have used rubber. You have to be careful removing the old ones if you press them out. If you don't support the arm it will bend. I've used a hole saw to cut the rubber our and then a chisel to walk the bushing out.

Gary

I use rubber and I put on about a 1000 miles a season on mine also. Rubber should last you a lifetime.

Im no expert, but I had a feeling I was on the right track. Rubber it is then...

Thanks

dshanks said:
I know that poly is prefered,

Huh? Says who? (aside from the snake oil marketeers)

There is NO advantage to running poly bushings on the street. Some track racers advise against them also..............

Save your money and spend it on other more worthwhile projects.

Vettehead Mikey said:
Huh? Says who? (aside from the snake oil marketeers)

There is NO advantage to running poly bushings on the street. Some track racers advise against them also..............

Save your money and spend it on other more worthwhile projects.

I had just been told that they are bullet proof, I guess better is a poor choice of words.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom