Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumors Regarding the Stopping and Possible End of ZR1 Production

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
In the last several days, I've received several emails with concern for rumors regarding the stopping of ZR1 production and the possible end of the model run for the 2009 MY.

I've read the rumors posted on other sites, and while I have my own personal opinions about the validity of those rumors, I do have some calls into GM regarding this issue and I am awaiting response.

As soon as I receive notification, I'll post it here.

Let's keep our fingers crossed...

Terry Rhadigan official response: "Not true."

2m81po9.jpg

:lou

The rumors about the possible halting of ZR1 production has been interesting at best. However, what's even more hysterical is the speculation posted on other sites about the possible reasoning and cause behind the rumor.

I'm willing to bet that ZR1 production will be indefinitely halted for the remainder of the 2009 model year, however, I believe that it will be temporarily halted because of supplier problems.

One of the issues that a lot of people are not taking into consideration is the effect of the economy on top-tier suppliers to the Detroit 3.

A lot of these smaller companies have been hit hard by the economy and with the Big-3 scaling back production of a lot of their models and closing assembly plants, these smaller top-tier suppliers are having a difficult time keeping the doors open.

I wouldn't be surprised if a top-tier supplier that manufactures a critical component of the ZR1 assembly process went under and GM is not looking around to find a new supplier.

If the component is important enough, it will take Corvette Engineering some time to test and validate the product and approve it for final production assembly.

So, my opinion and hypothesis: ZR1 production is probably halted indefinitely for the 2009 model year because a top-tier supplier that builds a critical component of the ZR1 - went under.

I hope I'm right...

• Admin
The ZR1 is NOT Going Anywhere!

A short while ago, the Corvette Action Center spoke briefly with Vince Muniga, Manager Product Communication for the Prestige and Performance Teams about the rumors floating around about the possible halting of ZR1 production.

Vince is the GM Communications operative who is responsible for the Corvette on the platform engineering side.

His response to the rumors appearing on some of the other Corvette forum sites such as "production halted" and/or the "ZR1 canceled" all together, was... "Absolutely not."

Vince also believes there is a possibility that some people may be creating rumors based on the recent temporary closing of the Bowling Green Assembly Plant this week.

I've been following the rumors on other sites, and decided to check into the validity of it all. After contacting a very reliable source,
here's what I posted on those sites:

"The ZR1 is not being dis-continued. Repeat, NOT being dis-countinued."

Dumping the ZR1 is a rumor that seems to have been floated by a car salesman in the mid-west. And then floated some more by a forum.
It would seem rather foolish to dump the car, at this time, when they have spent all that $$ to develop and produce it.
If they're worried about sales then they should stop the dealers from gouging the customers for 30,000 plus, over sticker. Make them sell them for sticker or loose their allocation for the year.
If I were to buy a new Ferrari, and roll it over for a nice 30K profit, I would never be able to buy a new one again.

Bob

This is very interesting. I'm thinking that even though GM doesn't plan on suspending production of the ZR1, the suppliers that can't get the credit they need for raw materials to produce the parts GM contracted for may stop production anyway.

Excellent call MarkP!

I also believe GM may secretly want this to happen. They are in deep doodoo right now and need to curb production on any high priced vehicles if they can.

Look what GM did introducing the new Camaro...300HP V6!!! The higher HP V8 models won't be introduced until much later on probably waiting to see what happens with consumer acceptance of lower fuel economy cars. By the way, I LOVE the looks of that new Camaro!

That being said, if someone CAN afford to buy the ZR1, they can and will buy it!

If halting production did happen...imagine the value of the ZR1's out there now!!!

Chuck M

Me O My what's a guy to do?

;shrug Hay it does'nt make a bit of defference one way or the other about the ZR-1 what a waste of money (but for those who want to flaunt it, go right ahead its your nickle) But after owning 27 previous Corvettes over the last 38 years from the small block 283-283h.p.fuelie in 57, to the then monstorous 427-435hp in 67 to the overkill of the 69 427 aluminum block 450+ H.P. (more like 500+) all I can say is the fun is where you can, or cannot afford it. I never lost a penny on a Corvette till the 84 model came out, after that it was strickly the older models for me (I hate to lose money) :eek:hnoes
Heck the way its going now we may not have a Corvette or Viper the way the country is going :W

Despite anything the worst thing anyone can do is advertise failure. A local department store chain (Boscovs) put an article in the paper stating rumors of independing bankruptcy were false although sales were slow... a few months later.... stores started closing... I think they sold the franchise.

Said but true...if you start telling people your failing... it can snow ball!

WTF

Dumping the ZR1 is a rumor that seems to have been floated by a car salesman in the mid-west. And then floated some more by a forum.
It would seem rather foolish to dump the car, at this time, when they have spent all that $$ to develop and produce it.
If they're worried about sales then they should stop the dealers from gouging the customers for 30,000 plus, over sticker. Make them sell them for sticker or loose their allocation for the year.
If I were to buy a new Ferrari, and roll it over for a nice 30K profit, I would never be able to buy a new one again.

Bob

Actually there are several peolple doing exactly that with new Ferrari's. You get your name on the list and when your car is ready 1-2 years down the road you find someone who would rather pay a premium then wait and sell it for a tidy profit on the open market that Ferrari has no way of policing. As far as the "gouging" you claim the Chevy dealers are practicing, it is called a free market economy, it is how the entire country runs in a capitolistic society. I say if the guy that sold me my '08 coupe for under invoice can make some serious profit from someone who is willing and able to pay the premium for the latest hot item then more power to him. No one is being forced here, if you would rather wait until the frenzy stops and pay MSRP or even get a discount then suit yourself. But don't point acusingly at a struggling dealer trying to make a profit when the opportunity arises.

I'm happy to say I was never worried about the rumors on the other sites. Why whould I be worried? Afterall, I get all of my Corvette news and information from "The Ultimate Online Hub of Corvette News and Information" a.k.a. The Corvette Action Center:CAC!!

Trust

As in many areas these days, rumors, intentional distortions, and self-serving lies are easily found across the Internet... and in the MSM.

We should carefully consider the source of any information before reacting reflexively and doing something that may be detrimental or stupid.

After years, I have learned that for Corvette info, news, opinions, and technical advice, the Corvette Action Center is the most trustworthy.

These days trust is a very valuable commodity... & it is in short supply!

I'd rather put my 401k money...

I'd rather put my 401k money...into a '09 ZRI than the stock market. At least I can enjoy cruisin' around in it while it either appreciates in value or tanks! ;)

(Should be interesting to see what happens at the Barrett Jackson Auction next week.)

This is very interesting. I'm thinking that even though GM doesn't plan on suspending production of the ZR1, the suppliers that can't get the credit they need for raw materials to produce the parts GM contracted for may stop production anyway.

Excellent call MarkP!

I also believe GM may secretly want this to happen. They are in deep doodoo right now and need to curb production on any high priced vehicles if they can.

Look what GM did introducing the new Camaro...300HP V6!!! The higher HP V8 models won't be introduced until much later on probably waiting to see what happens with consumer acceptance of lower fuel economy cars. By the way, I LOVE the looks of that new Camaro!

That being said, if someone CAN afford to buy the ZR1, they can and will buy it!

If halting production did happen...imagine the value of the ZR1's out there now!!!

Chuck M

First, GM is not going to "curb production on high-priced vehicles". Why?

Well....duh!
Their profit margin is very high. What GM needs to solve it's fiscal trauma is profits. "hotmtrsports" statement is one of the more idiotic I've read, today.

As for the comment regarding the V8 versions of the new Camaro. That is about as inaccurate as the first statement is idiotic. The 2010 Camaro SS will be to market at about the same time as the V6.

This rumor was probably started by some Nissan Engineer who was doing some wishful thinking after seeing our car lay the smack down on the GTR! :D

Even though the ZR1 is out of my price range, I'm glad the rumor isn't true! :beer

As They Are Only Planning 2000 I am certain they can be sold:

The Issue Is GM Itself, as they are expected to post a loss of over $9 Billion for this fiscal year and estimates are a loss of $4 Billion for next year.

The Issue Is GM Itself, as they are expected to post a loss of over $9 Billion for this fiscal year and estimates are a loss of $4 Billion for next year.

Hey, their stock is down around the $7 or $8 level. Buy, buy, BUY!!!!!!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom