Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

runflat versus non runflats

KP99

Corvette
2012 SuperSonic Blue GS
I recently sold my 94 and bought a 99 coupe. I need to replace the tires. I am having a dilema as to what to purchase. I know this issue has come up before. It appears that if you have trouble with a runflat, only certain places can fix it, is that correct? What are the chances of finding a competent tire repair place on a Sunday!
What is the best non runflat for a C5?
What is the best runflat?
I really value all your opinions, what has your experience been?

I stayed with the stock Goodyears. I know there are quieter options out there but after all the research I decided that the convenience and predictability of the stock tires was worth the noise. I just turn up the radio and enjoy the ride.
My local GM Dealer has a tire machine that handles run flat tires. I think with all the newer trucks and cars with their tall, wide, stiff sidewall tires that most dealers and larger tire shops are equipped to handle large wheels and wide tires.

I recently replaced my OEM Goodyear EMT tires after 25k miles. Toward the end of their life, they rode like steamrollers down the highway. When the EMT’s start to go, they go fast – the rear tires were completely smooth within 2,000 miles. My car has the Z51 suspension and in combination with the RunFlats, the ride was way too harsh. After researching all of the possible replacements, I decided to go the non-RunFlat route. It was a toss up between the Goodyear Supercar Tires and the new Eagle F1 with the V-tread pattern. Goodyear positions the F1 slightly ahead of the Supercar in terms of performance and way ahead in terms of longevity. A friend with an ’02 Z06 just replaced his Supercars after only 5,000 miles.

The F1 tires grip like a madman in the corners and are WAY quieter than the RunFlat tires. Plus, the ride is very smooth (and the V-tread looks cool, too). I wanted to stay with Goodyear tires but upgrade the ride quality 10-fold. The new F1 tires fit the bill without breaking the bank. The local Goodyear dealer would give me either set of tires for about the same price, so cost wasn’t a big factor. I’ve stowed a tire repair kit and small air compressor in the rear end for any emergencies that might arise, since you cant’s use tire repair goop due to the pressure sensors. I wanted to keep everything stock on the car so moving from the F1 GS EMT’s to the F1 GS D3’s didn’t seem like a stretch. Good luck.

This is my opinion, but I would stay with run-flat tires. But not Goodyear. I love my Michelin Pilot P-Zero A/S tires. They are leap years ahead of Good year EMT tires. We'll there's my 2 cents.

Michelins are an ok tire, but they look like a truck tire on the C5.

gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci2_l.jpg

Truck tire? I've got PS2's on mine and nobody has ever compared them to a truck tire. They're a lot quieter riding than the OEM Good Year's and IMHO better handling.

I used to have a set on my '01 vert, and IMHO the Michelin Sport A/S ZPs look on a C5 resemble a truck tire. You notice the tires before you notice the wheels. Again, just my opinion.

:crazy

er.....just my opinion :L

I used to have a set on my '01 vert, and IMHO the Michelin Sport A/S ZPs look on a C5 resemble a truck tire. You notice the tires before you notice the wheels. Again, just my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion but you had the A/S ZP's and not the PS2's. Completely different tire.

:crazy

er.....just my opinion :L

I don't think it is very nice to call me crazy for expressing an opinion. I totally understand why some Corvetters scrap their OEMs for a different brand of run-flats or go to a non-run flat tire. I made my comment in reference to the run flat Michelins. I formed my opinion based on the fact that I had a set on my old Corvette. I was not referring to the non-run flat PS2s which I have not even seen before. Sorry if I misunderstood the particular tire when I originally posted.

Michelins are an ok tire, but they look like a truck tire on the C5.

Chemdawg99,
As I have Goodyears on my Z06, I'm not in any way an expert on the Michelins. However, judging by this picture...

...I don't see what you're talking about when you say "truck tire."

But I do have a question for you. You do realize that when you first posted in this thread, you were resurrecting a four year old thread? Not that that's a problem, but I suspect there may not be very many people who participated in this thread originally that's still actively visit the site.

-Patrick

Another Consideration

I recently went with BF Goodrich g-Force KDW-2's. True they are non-runflats but I carry a plug kit, a high quality pump, a cell phone and AAA. The upside of these tires are they stick like glue, they're very quiet, they're reasonably priced and they have very agressive looking tread pattern.
Remo:cool

attachment.php

Chemdawg99,
As I have Goodyears on my Z06, I'm not in any way an expert on the Michelins. However, judging by this picture...

...I don't see what you're talking about when you say "truck tire."

But I do have a question for you. You do realize that when you first posted in this thread, you were resurrecting a four year old thread? Not that that's a problem, but I suspect there may not be very many people who participated in this thread originally that's still actively visit the site.

-Patrick

4 years old!!!!! Wow, I guess I didn't pay too much attention. I get more time than most to jump on Vette forums since I work in the Division HQ, but I don't get too much time to post and I didn't look at dates.

The tire you have the picture of is a GY GS-D3, I was referring to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs which as I stated before, I had on my first Vette after the OEMs wore out.

This thread caught my attention because I very much regretted buying those tires after about 5 days. IMHO, they didn't ride any better than OEMs (which I don't think ride that bad) and I thought they detracted from the appearance of my wheels because of the tread pattern, smaller width, and the rim protector. My "truck tire" reference was meant to be an exaggeration of sorts, but it best described my thoughts on that particular tire.

I think of my Vette as "comfy cruiser" with lot of speed:cool I am of the opinion that the OEMs are the best run-flat for the C5, if you are going to stick with run flats that is, and I also think they look the better on factory wheels than the Michelin run flats.

I hope I didn't offend anyone or succeeded in making myself look dumb. Just thought this was a recent thread with an interesting topic.

I recently went with BF Goodrich g-Force KDW-2's. True they are non-runflats but I carry a plug kit, a high quality pump, a cell phone and AAA. The upside of these tires are they stick like glue, they're very quiet, they're reasonably priced and they have very agressive looking tread pattern.

attachment.php

Nice clean ride!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the color BTW:) If you go with non-run flats, you can't go wrong with those tires:upthumbs

Nobody should ever have to appoligize for posting on this site! If you don't want to read the thread, don't open it. I, for one, am always checking the threads on the runflats vs. regular tires. I know that this decission is in my future as well as most corvette drivers that read this forum. Let's ease up on the aggressive attitudes, there is enough of that on the road.

Nobody should ever have to appoligize for posting on this site! If you don't want to read the thread, don't open it. I, for one, am always checking the threads on the runflats vs. regular tires. I know that this decission is in my future as well as most corvette drivers that read this forum. Let's ease up on the aggressive attitudes, there is enough of that on the road.

I was the one that resurrected a 4 year old thread. Just seemed that I annoyed some folks because I didn't read the dates of the posts.

Anyway, I like opinions on this issue in particular and with modifications in general. I have had my current Vette for a year now, but only got to drive it for 2 months before I deployed to Iraq. I have been researching alot about the Corvette in my spare time over here and I have learned a lot. The Corvette is truly an amazing car!

In my research so far, I have learned that there are very few mods you can make to this car that 1. gives you a REAL HP gain and 2. don't cross the line somehow in making your car less safe/reliable.

I say all that to get to the point of why a OEM tires on the C5 or C6 get such a bad rap? I don't find them noisy or rough riding, or bad handling like a lot of folks do. They are expensive for a tire, but I think for what they are designed to do, it is somewhat worth the price.

Crause,
No one is saying Chemdawg99 ought to apologize. I just wanted to make sure he understood that if he was replying to this thread, wanting to respond to the original poster who started it four years ago, he may be disappointed, as they may no longer be here.

Certainly, the issue of run-flats vs. regular tires is as topical now as it was four years ago. In fact, we've had a number of thread conversations on the subject in the four years since this thread was first started. Which is why I thought resurrecting this particular thread was unusual. Nothing wrong with doing it, though.

:w
-Patrick

Pardon Me But........

"Can't we all just get along?":L

king_rodney.jpg

Crause,
No one is saying Chemdawg99 ought to apologize. I just wanted to make sure he understood that if he was replying to this thread, wanting to respond to the original poster who started it four years ago, he may be disappointed, as they may no longer be here.

Certainly, the issue of run-flats vs. regular tires is as topical now as it was four years ago. In fact, we've had a number of thread conversations on the subject in the four years since this thread was first started. Which is why I thought resurrecting this particular thread was unusual. Nothing wrong with doing it, though.

:w
-Patrick

I understood what you were saying Patrick. I didn't read the dates of the post when looked at the thread. It is amazing that this particular "debate", if you will, continues.

Tire choice is certainly a personal choice, I am not trying to influence anyone's opinion. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that feels the same way I do that OEM tires (in good condition mind you) are not such a bad tire.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom