Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

runflat versus non runflats

...are the only way to fly! :upthumbs

:lol​

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

I'm sure they are a nice tire, but they look too narrow on C5 wheels and they don't meet the same specifications the OEM tires do.

I know there are lot of choices out there and every tire represents a performance and/or functional trade off. OEMs work for me because they offer the best safety/insurance of all the other run flats for the Corvette. Like I said in a previous post, mabye I am missing something here, but I don't find OEM tires rough riding, or bad handling. Oh well to each his own:)

This Is Getting Better By The Minute

mabye I am missing something here, but I don't find OEM tires rough riding, or bad handling. Oh well to each his own:)

lurk5.gif

Well.........I have 12K on my orig run flats and I know in a year or two I will be at the cross roads looking to decide which way to go. I have no idea right now! I like the secure feeling of knowing the when I rob a bank and the law throws down a spike strip I can laugh as I keep going....:eek:hnoes(uhhh did I say that outloud?:boogie) But also like hearing how the ride might be quieter and smoother with non run flats. I don't know I really dont. But I hope this thread goes on and on because it will be the one I look at again when I do reach the crossroads for sure!:W

Well.........I have 12K on my orig run flats and I know in a year or two I will be at the cross roads looking to decide which way to go. I have no idea right now! I like the secure feeling of knowing the when I rob a bank and the law throws down a spike strip I can laugh as I keep going....:eek:hnoes(uhhh did I say that outloud?:boogie) But also like hearing how the ride might be quieter and smoother with non run flats. I don't know I really dont. But I hope this thread goes on and on because it will be the one I look at again when I do reach the crossroads for sure!:W

When you get to that crossroad, here's what you should consider:
1. Am I a competitive driver?
2. Is my Vette a "garage queen" that sees about 5k miles a year?
3. Do I drive my Vette any further than the next town ?

If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then by all means ditch the run flats. If you answered no, then you just might want to keep them.

Before anyone flames me by using the old "Z06 doesn't have run flats" angle, GM didn't design the Z06 to be a daily driver or a long range cruiser. It was designed to put the hurt on the Ford Mustang Cobra and the 911.

I grant you that OEMs are not what you want on your Vette if you drag or road race, etc. although they are not THAT bad at that task. There is better rubber out there for that purpose.

My Vette is a daily driver and when I get back from this "God Forsaken Place" I plan to do a lot of cruising across the State of Texas. I am not taking the chance of being stuck on the side of the road in some desolate area (like going from Fort Hood to El Paso) and waiting for AAA, if I can even get a signal.

Bottom line:
run flats=security
non run flats=improved performance

Not trying to start a big debate here.

I was just wondering if I am the only one who thinks this way?

Bottom line:
run flats=security
non run flats=improved performance
Amen:upthumbs. There is no other answer to this debate, It's a personal choice. Safety and performance when combined will only take you up to certain level, if you wont to improve on that you have to chose which features are more important to you. Truth is that most people never drive their cars to the point where the tire choice will make any difference to them. How many times have you driven anywhere close to the rating of your tires. For those that push their cars to the limit choices are much simpler and run flats are not on the menu. For the garage queens, occasional drivers, cruisers and rest of us regular folks the choice would be comfort and security. One thing I noticed is that a fresh set of run flats run a lot smoother than ones that been on a car for five or more years. Seams the older they get the rubber hardens and diminishes both ride quality and performance. There is no wright or wrong choice, the one you make is the best one for you and that is all that matters. That is only mine opinion. I don't apologize for it and no one else on this board should apologize for theirs either.Regards, Zig.

Zagger and Chemdawg, well said! Now I guess I will have to decide if I want the added security of 200 miles or take a chance with the 50 mile run flats.:eek:hnoes

I was thinking about chaning to a non run flat like those described here. The quieter ride was the main reason. My run flats seem very noisy in my convertible. However, before I could make the switch, I hit some metal object in the road and my left front tire immediately went flat. The DIC informed me of the loss of pressure. The amazing thing is that I was doing 65 at the time and there was no difference in ride or control. I slowed down and drove 20 more miles to a tire shop near my home. Whatever I hit punched a half-inch hole in the tire, so I had to purchase a replacement, but other than the hole, the tire was not any worse for the run flat trip.

This convinced me that for safety reasons and convenience, I would put up with the noise and keep the run flats. However, I may look at the Michelin's when it's time to get a new set.

I replaced my OEM's on my 2000 C5 with Firestone Firehawks Run Flats and will never go back to the GY's. The Stones ride better, handle as well and are quiet! Put 2800 miles on them in July on a trip out West; they were a dream!

I am amazed at the fact that the run flat debate rages on so much on the internet. I have a few observations to share:

1. Its a Corvette, not a Cadillac. If you want a totally quiet ride then you should not have bought a Vette.

2. The car does almost 180 stock. I think OEM tires are more than adequate performers unless you are looking to drag or do something "stupid" in your Vette.

3. If you hit a corner at high speed and run over a bump (the so-called "bump steer") I don't care what kind of tire you are running, you will jump sideways.

4. The Z06 has non-run flats because it was not designed to be the Grand Tourer the Coupe and Vert were designed to be. Yes, it was designed with more performance in mind. Street racer, track car, etc. If you use your Vette for this type of driving, by all means use non-run flats. Most Vette owners (yes, most) don't wish to be on the side of the highway trying to plug a flat.

Bottom line, you are taking a chance when you drive a car with no spare, no tire changing equipment and no place to store a spare on anything other than run flat tires. I don't find OEMs to be noisy or rough riding because I make sure the tires are at the correct pressures.

Just my .02

I am amazed at the fact that the run flat debate rages on so much on the internet. I have a few observations to share:

1. Its a Corvette, not a Cadillac. If you want a totally quiet ride then you should not have bought a Vette.

2. The car does almost 180 stock. I think OEM tires are more than adequate performers unless you are looking to drag or do something "stupid" in your Vette.

3. If you hit a corner at high speed and run over a bump (the so-called "bump steer") I don't care what kind of tire you are running, you will jump sideways.

4. The Z06 has non-run flats because it was not designed to be the Grand Tourer the Coupe and Vert were designed to be. Yes, it was designed with more performance in mind. Street racer, track car, etc. If you use your Vette for this type of driving, by all means use non-run flats. Most Vette owners (yes, most) don't wish to be on the side of the highway trying to plug a flat.

Bottom line, you are taking a chance when you drive a car with no spare, no tire changing equipment and no place to store a spare on anything other than run flat tires. I don't find OEMs to be noisy or rough riding because I make sure the tires are at the correct pressures.

Just my .02

Well I guess there's nothing else to be said on this subject.

Remo:cool
LongShotLeft.JPG

BF Goodrich g-Force KDW-2's

I guess the only thing that can be said:--- If you find a run flat tire that is better than OEM and cheaper why not buy it. ;shrug

I guess the only thing that can be said:--- If you find a run flat tire that is better than OEM and cheaper why not buy it. ;shrug

A softer sidewall, narrower design, and softer compound rubber will indeed give you a softer ride, but that does not make it "better" than OEM rubber.

The OEM tire is the only tire (IMHO, of course) that looks right on a Vette short of changing wheel and tire sizes which require a reprogram of the PCM so as not to create problems with the AH/TC. The Goodyear OEMs are a wider profile than any of the aftermarket replacements which (among other things) contributes to the "harsh ride" that they deliver on certain driving surfaces. A lot of owners exacerbate this expected (at least it should be expected) characteristic of the OEMs by running them longer than they should. The rubber is going to do what ALL tire rubber does when exposed to the elements for a long time, they are going to become hard as a rock, even if the tread is still good. Under normal driving, OEMs should be good for 15k to 25k miles before replacement, any more than that and you will have the "harsh ride", bump steer, and tramlining that everyone always talks about.

I really think the biggest problem that folks have with OEMs is the price. Folks come up with all kinds of excuses to go with cheaper tires. I am not talking about the die-hard modders that are looking for a performance edge. I grant you that the OEMs are NOT built to be run over and over again on a track or a drag strip. There ARE better tires for that kind of driving.

A properly maintained set of OEMs at the right pressures and changed every 15k-25k miles is all the average Vette driver needs. Its a sports car! Even a Ferrari give you a somewhat rough ride at times.

Just When I thought All Had Been Said

A softer sidewall, narrower design, and softer compound rubber will indeed give you a softer ride, but that does not make it "better" than OEM rubber.

The OEM tire is the only tire (IMHO, of course) that looks right on a Vette short of changing wheel and tire sizes which require a reprogram of the PCM so as not to create problems with the AH/TC. The Goodyear OEMs are a wider profile than any of the aftermarket replacements which (among other things) contributes to the "harsh ride" that they deliver on certain driving surfaces. A lot of owners exacerbate this expected (at least it should be expected) characteristic of the OEMs by running them longer than they should. The rubber is going to do what ALL tire rubber does when exposed to the elements for a long time, they are going to become hard as a rock, even if the tread is still good. Under normal driving, OEMs should be good for 15k to 25k miles before replacement, any more than that and you will have the "harsh ride", bump steer, and tramlining that everyone always talks about.

I really think the biggest problem that folks have with OEMs is the price. Folks come up with all kinds of excuses to go with cheaper tires. I am not talking about the die-hard modders that are looking for a performance edge. I grant you that the OEMs are NOT built to be run over and over again on a track or a drag strip. There ARE better tires for that kind of driving.

A properly maintained set of OEMs at the right pressures and changed every 15k-25k miles is all the average Vette driver needs. Its a sports car! Even a Ferrari give you a somewhat rough ride at times.

Evidently I was mistaken. Chemdawg99 had some addtional comments on the subject - which of course were "spot on".

Remo:cool
LongShotLeft.JPG

"BF Goodrich g-Force KDW-2's".

If Shakespeare were around he'd probably put it this way:

"To run flat or not run flat.....that is the question. Whether 'tis right in your mind to endure the bumpiness or nails causing outrageous fortune or to go against what others are saying thus opposing them?"

2007 Z06 has EMTs

If they were sooo bad, why is GM now putting them on the current Z06?:beer

Perhaps another reason I don't really notice any "rough ride" is I leave the magnetic selective ride on "tour" most of the time. I go sport when I want to drive in a more spirited manner. I think the Vettes that don't have this feature may in fact be more rough riding on OEM tires.

Just another observation.;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom