Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

runflat versus non runflats

Security vs. Performance

I like the 200 mile distance....sorry:eek:hnoes

John - I understand and appreciate your comment. Here's what I did when I left the secure world of runflats. Pictured below is a top line tire inflation system developed by the Continental Tire Company and sold through Tire Rack. In addition I have a plug kit, AAA Road Service and a great cell phone. What I now have are tires with a traditional side wall construction that ride a little better, have a softer compound that hooks up much better and a sipe design that pushes water out much faster than the GY runflats.

Remo:cool

conticomfortkit.jpg

LongShotLeft.JPG

BF Goodrich g-Force KDW-2's

It's called MONEY!:booty

WTF? What do you mean by that? Are you saying GM is putting on a more expensive tire to make more money? Just as any retail costumer GM pays more for EMT's, so where is the money coming into play?
This tire subject was answered long time ago and there is no better or worst tire. It is your car and run with what ever tire you wont. The choice is yours. Base it on the type of driving you will be doing. And please quit bashing the ride and noise of the Corvette. Have you driven a Ferrari, Lamborghini or any other vehicle in the Corvette class lately. Vette is not a bad ride in comparison.

WTF? What do you mean by that? Are you saying GM is putting on a more expensive tire to make more money? Just as any retail costumer GM pays more for EMT's, so where is the money coming into play?
This tire subject was answered long time ago and there is no better or worst tire. It is your car and run with what ever tire you wont. The choice is yours. Base it on the type of driving you will be doing. And please quit bashing the ride and noise of the Corvette. Have you driven a Ferrari, Lamborghini or any other vehicle in the Corvette class lately. Vette is not a bad ride in comparison.

Totally agree with zagger!

I have driven and/or rode in a Viper, a Ferrari, and a Porche and I can tell you that NONE of them deliver a ride as smooth as a stock Corvette.

Like I said before, to each his own. If an owner wants to run non-run flats, by all means go ahead and enjoy. Simple physics dictates that if you run tires with softer sidewalls and/or narrower profile will naturally give a softer ride. The wider the tire the rougher the ride.

Softer does not mean better. Eagle F1 EMTs can run at high speeds on track with a 1/2 inch hole in it. If that is not performance, I don't know what is.

If you want to mod your Vette to your tastes, nothing wrong with that at all. If you are using your car to drive competitively, you have to modify it to meet those demands, to include the tires. I totally get it. For the street or ordinary driving, nothing beats the OEM tires.

Money has absolutely nothing to do with why the new Z06 now has EMTs.

John - I understand and appreciate your comment. Here's what I did when I left the secure world of runflats. Pictured below is a top line tire inflation system developed by the Continental Tire Company and sold through Tire Rack. In addition I have a plug kit, AAA Road Service and a great cell phone. What I now have are tires with a traditional side wall construction that ride a little better, have a softer compound that hooks up much better and a sipe design that pushes water out much faster than the GY runflats.

Remo:cool

conticomfortkit.jpg

LongShotLeft.JPG

BF Goodrich g-Force KDW-2's

I agree. I have this kit and my car has the GS-D3 tires. I love the look of these tires and they are extremely sticky. I still have the same debate - D3s or runflats. The problem I have with runflats is that the only places that can service a runflat has to have the special tire equipment and they have to be certified otherwise GY will not even sell them the tire.

This presents the issue of how can I get one repaired or replaced in an out of the way location? I don't like the thought of having to use the Contikit but I am afraid of having a flat with a runflat while driving down through lower Arkansas/Upper Louisiana where only very small towns exist.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom